CRM

Bernardamus
Contributor

Remembering the Mapping criteria when importing contacts

SOLVE

I am periodically importing a CSV file to hubspot and I always have the same columns to map in the process. 

Is there any way to let hubspot remember the criteria of mapping of the last import and just keep using the same mapping for the next import? 

Some columns are automatically matched to custom properties with the exact same name but some other are columns are matched to default  hubspot properties with similar names but still require some human adjustment/selection, so it would be great if Hubspot could remember the association of the columns with their corresponding properties. 

0 Upvotes
2 Accepted solutions
Phil_Vallender
Solution
Most Valuable Member | Diamond Partner

SOLVE

Hi @Bernardamus 

Yes, I mean there will be a cost to code the import function - the relevant API endpoint is, I believe, free to use.

Hope this helps.

Phil Vallender | HubSpot Website Agency

View solution in original post

0 Upvotes
agirard
Solution
HubSpot Product Team
HubSpot Product Team

SOLVE

For anyone viewing this thread on the community, I wanted to ensure you saw that we have just launched the ability to repeat a past import. When repeating an import, you will not only be able to skip specific steps within the import flow, but we'll also save the selections you've made on the mapping step so you can move more quickly through the import flow.

KB Article on how this feature works here.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8
agirard
Solution
HubSpot Product Team
HubSpot Product Team

SOLVE

For anyone viewing this thread on the community, I wanted to ensure you saw that we have just launched the ability to repeat a past import. When repeating an import, you will not only be able to skip specific steps within the import flow, but we'll also save the selections you've made on the mapping step so you can move more quickly through the import flow.

KB Article on how this feature works here.

RBozeman
Participant

SOLVE

Hi @Bernardamus,

Very late reply here so I do apologize for that. Not sure if this is something that you would be interested in, but thought I should mention it, since re-mapping the fields with every import can be time-consuming and error prone when your entire company has to do it for every import. 

Full disclosure, I work for Insycle, but Insycle offers deep field mapping features, along with some other import features that might be of use.   

Some of the ways it can help include:

• Automatic field mapping. Like HubSpot, Insycle attempts to match and map all fields when you first upload your CSV. It's usually able to get most of your fields, but there will be a few you will need to map manually. 
  • Remember mapping for future uploads. In Insycle, you can save your import template for use in all future imports. That way, no one has to guess when uploading a familiar template. 
  • Associate records automatically on import, using advanced rules and any field in your database to make the match.
  • Format, upload, and clean import data on its way into your CRM.

Hope that was helpful if you still have this use case.

Thank you!

Ryan

kvlschaefer
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Thanks for sharing, @RBozeman

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by changing your language settings !
0 Upvotes
StefaniUAT
Key Advisor

SOLVE

Hi Bernardamus,

Although HubSpot remembering common column headers is great, it does not solve the issue. When I first started doing these imports, I created an Excel spreadsheet with the headers that I wanted each column mapped to/associated with within HubSpot. I used the internal values on the template headers to ensure proper mapping. It now takes me less than 30 seconds to copy and paste the correct headers from the self-made template before importing it into HubSpot. 

I also do daily imports that require mapping before importing. I had an Excel expert create an Excel spreadsheet with formulas. I can now upload the pre-mapped sheet into the Formulated spreadsheet and it does all of the work for me within a matter of seconds. It deletes columns, does the Uppercase Proper formula, maps the information into the correct headers, etc. If you are familiar with Excel formulas or work with someone who is, they may be able to create a formulated sheet for you. I attached an example below for reference. 

Excel Formulas.png

Best,
Stefani Johnson
Defect and Database Administrator
University of Advancing Technology
uat.edu I Earn Tech Respect
Bernardamus
Contributor

SOLVE

Thanks for  your input , I'll see if it makes sense for me to go through the excel sheet before importing/mapping to Hubspot. 

Thanks! 

Phil_Vallender

SOLVE

Hi @Bernardamus 

I don't think this is possible using the import UI. I believe you would be able to do it if you performed your periodic import using the import API endpoints, which allow you to specify the mapping in the instruction

There's probably a moderate cost involved in making the change, but over the lifetime of the import it would most likely become negligible. Let me know if you need any help with that. 

Hope this helps.

Bernardamus
Contributor

SOLVE

Thanks for your feedback! 

Why do you mention a "moderate cost" ? It looks like there is a Free API access even for the free tools, isn't it?   

Or probably you mean the "cost of coding" to set up the API connection ....

0 Upvotes
Phil_Vallender
Solution

SOLVE

Hi @Bernardamus 

Yes, I mean there will be a cost to code the import function - the relevant API endpoint is, I believe, free to use.

Hope this helps.

0 Upvotes