CRM

Jzitek
Contributor

Prevent data overwriting on import

SOLVE

Our company would like to see a function available to stop data from being overwritten when importing.  We would like something like a wizard with two columns to show existing data vs. new data being imported with the option to prevent overwriting for any property that has important existing information.

2 Accepted solutions
AdamLPW
Solution
Key Advisor

SOLVE

Hi @Jzitek,

This is a good idea - I'm often importing over the top of existing data and having to manually correct.  

I'd recommend you post this in the ideas board - https://community.hubspot.com/t5/HubSpot-Ideas/idb-p/HubSpot_Ideas

as it's more likely to be picked up by developers there.

Ouf of interest, what data is it that's being overwritten?  I have some manual work-arounds I use to sanitise my data pre import which might help.

Did my post help answer your query? Help the Community by marking it as a solution
"The rest of my advice has no basis more reliable than my own meandering experience. I will dispense this experience... now!"

View solution in original post

karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @Jzitek ,

It's been a while since you posted this but I wanted to share an update: This is now possible! During the mapping step of the import process, you should see the option to not overwrite existing values:

karstenkoehler_0-1623158410159.png

If this answers your original question, you can help the community by marking this post as a solution.

Cheers!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @Jzitek ,

It's been a while since you posted this but I wanted to share an update: This is now possible! During the mapping step of the import process, you should see the option to not overwrite existing values:

karstenkoehler_0-1623158410159.png

If this answers your original question, you can help the community by marking this post as a solution.

Cheers!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

Jzitek
Contributor

SOLVE

It is a good compromise solution for now. We would still like the ability to see what data exists already to say which data we want to keep and which we want to update.

AdamLPW
Solution
Key Advisor

SOLVE

Hi @Jzitek,

This is a good idea - I'm often importing over the top of existing data and having to manually correct.  

I'd recommend you post this in the ideas board - https://community.hubspot.com/t5/HubSpot-Ideas/idb-p/HubSpot_Ideas

as it's more likely to be picked up by developers there.

Ouf of interest, what data is it that's being overwritten?  I have some manual work-arounds I use to sanitise my data pre import which might help.

Did my post help answer your query? Help the Community by marking it as a solution
"The rest of my advice has no basis more reliable than my own meandering experience. I will dispense this experience... now!"
Jzitek
Contributor

SOLVE

Hi again @AdamLPW , I guess I had it out on the idea forum as well (so now I have 2 idea submissions and one here...one way to get heard!) Here it is if you wouldn't mind an upvote! https://community.hubspot.com/t5/HubSpot-Ideas/Disable-overwrite-on-import-and-allow-option-to-choos...

AdamLPW
Key Advisor

SOLVE

Upvoted!

In terms of work-arounds - I'm sure you're already getting to know the "frequent offenders" in terms of the kind of data and/or the fields that get overwritten on import.  I literally just spend some time vetting my data in Excel prior to import, while it's all in one place, rather than fixing on individual contact records post-import.  

I will also, on occasion, NOT match columns in an import which I know will cause issues.  This is especially true where the data in HubSpot for that property is more correct/up-to-date than my external data.   

0 Upvotes
Jzitek
Contributor

SOLVE

Hi @AdamLPW , thanks for the correction. I thought I had submitted in the correct area, but I've posted it to the ideas now! There isn't necessarily one thing being overwritten, it is more of a concern of overwriting. We have a large company and so we are wanting to avoid super users from various areas overwriting some of the data for contacts that may overlap in different business interests. I would be curious to hear what your manual work around is to see if that could help our users. Thanks!

0 Upvotes