CRM

MWisniewska
Participant

Parent and child companies with the same email domain

SOLVE

Hi Community

I'm setting up HubSpot for the company I work for and got stuck on building the database of contacts. I hope someone can actually help me with this problem.

The company has thousands of contacts with the same email address domain but those people work for different sites all across the country. They are grouped into sub-companies that theoretically function like child companies but these sites have nothing to do with each other. 

I tried to create a child company but since the email address domain is the same as the parent company I can't create sub-companies on Hubspot. As a result, I have hundreds of Account Managers, Site Managers, etc, and no way to tell where they work, which child company they belong to, etc. 

And suggestions on how can I go about it? Thank you sincerely. 

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
AdamLPW
Solution
Key Advisor

SOLVE

Hi @MWisniewska,

This is a problem I have ALL the time!

May sound obvious, but have you tried this - https://knowledge.hubspot.com/companies/how-can-i-add-a-parent-or-child-company-to-an-existing-compa...

It will say "Gosh, that looks familiar. Did you mean:" and list all the companies with a matching domain when you go to create a child company with the same domain, but it WILL let you create regardless.  Just scroll down and click on the orange "Create" button.    

The next problem you'll have is auto-associating companies by email domain when you add new contacts.  See this article - https://knowledge.hubspot.com/crm-setup/automatically-create-and-associate-companies-with-contacts

You'll want to ensure that the domain is excluded from automatic association, otherwise every new contact you add (e.g. via inbox integration) could end up being associated with the wrong company!

You may also want to add a custom property for "Location", or something like that.  Otherwise, you could end up struggling to tell dozens of identically-named companies apart.  See this article for details on creating custom properties - https://blog.hubspot.com/customers/using-custom-properties-in-hubspot-crm

Hope this helps!

Did my post help answer your query? Help the Community by marking it as a solution
"The rest of my advice has no basis more reliable than my own meandering experience. I will dispense this experience... now!"

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9
AdamLPW
Key Advisor

SOLVE

Sorry to hear that - sounds like it SHOULD work! 🤔

I use InSycle for housekeeping my HS data.  It's a very cheap tool and does a lot of stuff that HubSpot doesn't (but perhaps should!)...  Very simple to link with your HS account. 

Just checked on their knowledgebase and you can do this with InSycle - https://help.insycle.com/en/articles/3581251-bulk-associate-contacts-companies-and-deals-in-hubspot

Should allow you to set up a filter that looks something like this:

AdamLPW_0-1630501979876.png

I.e. you can bulk-remove the company association for all contacts with a specific email domain (or any other contact property)... then importing your doctored export with the correct associations should work.

Famous last words?! 😉

Did my post help answer your query? Help the Community by marking it as a solution
"The rest of my advice has no basis more reliable than my own meandering experience. I will dispense this experience... now!"
MWisniewska
Participant

SOLVE

Hi Adam

Unfortunately, it doesn't work by assigning Name as Company Name. It still stays as the main domain company. It makes perfect sense it should but no matter if I Import contacts from the same list again, or import them as update to existing contacts, the Company association remains the same. 

0 Upvotes
MWisniewska
Participant

SOLVE

Hi Adam

Some of the suggestions have helped me to progress further but I got stuck on assigning selected contacts to a Child Company. Company X (Parent Company) has my contacts assigned to it but when I look for a way to assign them to Child Company Y, created and visible in a list of child companies- I can't find the way to do it. 

Any suggestions? Thank you kindly

0 Upvotes
AdamLPW
Key Advisor

SOLVE

Hi @MWisniewska,

Each contact can only be associated with one company.  You will need to remove the association with the parent company before associating the contact with the child company.  To do this, move your mouse cursor over the Company information pane on the record sidebar (on the right).  You should see a popup like this:

AdamLPW_0-1630397581186.png

Clicking the cross on the right-hand side will remove the association between the contact and parent company.  You should then be free to click on the "+Add" button in the Company section of the record sidebar and associate them with any company in your Hub.

Hope this helps!

MWisniewska
Participant

SOLVE

Hi Adam

Can I do the same but for a list of contacts? I have opted out from automatic assign to a company based on a domain and created a separate company. I would like to move selected contacts in bulk to be associated with this newly created company.  I have 100s of contacts that needs now to be associated with their companies but I can't Remove Association and  +Add to new one, one by one, unless I want to spend Christmas of 2050 still on the task @:D

0 Upvotes
AdamLPW
Key Advisor

SOLVE

Hi @MWisniewska,

I'm pretty sure you can achieve this by exporting and re-importing.  If you export all the relevant contacts, then edit the export file to change the company association, you should then be able to follow these instructions to re-import the same contacts, but bulk update the company association.  

There's a gif showing this in action - 

AdamLPW_0-1630496499873.gif

May be worth testing with a couple of contacts first, but pretty sure you can make it work.  

FYI, there's an idea on the Ideas Forum here which suggests making this native functionality.  Worth upvoting this, as the HubSpot devs keep an eye on the forum and do (eventually) action suggestions such as this.  

Let me know how you get on.  

MWisniewska
Participant

SOLVE

Hi Adam

Thank you kindly for your suggestions, I will now go through them and hopefully fix my database.  Based on the outcome we will go for a full business licence with Hubspot so keep your fingers crossed!   Again, thank you kindly. 

AdamLPW
Solution
Key Advisor

SOLVE

Hi @MWisniewska,

This is a problem I have ALL the time!

May sound obvious, but have you tried this - https://knowledge.hubspot.com/companies/how-can-i-add-a-parent-or-child-company-to-an-existing-compa...

It will say "Gosh, that looks familiar. Did you mean:" and list all the companies with a matching domain when you go to create a child company with the same domain, but it WILL let you create regardless.  Just scroll down and click on the orange "Create" button.    

The next problem you'll have is auto-associating companies by email domain when you add new contacts.  See this article - https://knowledge.hubspot.com/crm-setup/automatically-create-and-associate-companies-with-contacts

You'll want to ensure that the domain is excluded from automatic association, otherwise every new contact you add (e.g. via inbox integration) could end up being associated with the wrong company!

You may also want to add a custom property for "Location", or something like that.  Otherwise, you could end up struggling to tell dozens of identically-named companies apart.  See this article for details on creating custom properties - https://blog.hubspot.com/customers/using-custom-properties-in-hubspot-crm

Hope this helps!

PamCotton
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hello @MWisniewska,  I will add some top experts to this matter that may be able to help you with their suggestions, @AdamLPW @Josh any recommendations to @MWisniewska?

Thank you!

Pam

Você sabia que a Comunidade está disponível em outros idiomas?
Participe de conversas regionais, alterando suas configurações de idioma !

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by changing your language settings !

0 Upvotes