CRM

Sarahhh
Miembro

Opt Outs?

resolver

Hello! How do I manage opt outs in the HubSpot CRM tool? I have a database of about 2000 contacts and need to supress about 45 for opt out.

1 Soluciones aceptada
BrettLanguirand
Solución
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

Opt Outs?

resolver

Hi @Sarahhh,

There are a couple ways to opt out contacts in the Hubspot CRM tool.  The first way is to manually opt out the contacts right from their records.  This can be done by navigating to a contact record who you want to opt out, click on the gear icon to the right of the contact's name in the upper left corner of their contact record and click on Opt out of email.  This method works great for one-offs, but in the event that you have multiple contacts, a second method might be easier.

If you have, or can create a CSV of contacts who you want opted out of email communication, you can import an opt out list by following these steps: 

Click on Contacts > All Contact > Imports > Import a New File.
Click on Choose File and find your CSV file with all the people you want to unsubscribe, choose it, and click Open.
You only need email addresses on this file.
Switch to the Advanced View, and for the Import Type field choose Import Opt Out List.
Map the email address field to "Email."
Click Begin List Processing.
All of the email addresses in the file will be opted-out of future email communication.

This information can also be found here (https://knowledge.hubspot.com/articles/kcs_article/contacts/how-do-i-unsubscribe-or-opt-out-contacts...).

Please let me know if you have any questions!

Thanks,

Brett

Ver la solución en mensaje original publicado

0 Me gusta
14 Respuestas 14
donrua
Colaborador líder

Opt Outs?

resolver

I'm trying to Opt Out contacts from specific newsletter subscriptions, but all the instructions seem to be for opting them out of ALL email, which I do not want to do. Is there a KB file for how to change their subscription/preference settings manually, for when they reply to opt out rather the click the email preferences link?

0 Me gusta
sharonlicari
Administrador de la comunidad

Opt Outs?

resolver

Hi @donrua 

Thank you for reaching out! 

At the moment there isn't a way to select from your side to Opt users out of certain email types, I'd recommend upvoting and comment on this idea in our Ideas forum. 

You can try to create a smart list to exclude specific contacts from receiving a marketing email

I hope this helps

Thanks

Sharon

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by changing your language settings !

Kmoloo
Colaborador líder | Partner nivel Elite
Colaborador líder | Partner nivel Elite

Opt Outs?

resolver

Since OP had this issue in 2016, it was probably resolved.  But in the last couple of weeks since HubSpot has updated their imports tool, CRM no longer has a way to import an opt out list.

Also, the properties for opt-out (both marketing and one-to-one emails) are read only, so you can't update them with a separate column in a CSV. 

This is a major issue, HubSpot, please address it!

0 Me gusta
jetta
Participante

Opt Outs?

resolver

Hey @Kmoloo,

You can still import an opt out list by following the steps outlined here. If you're seeing something different, let us know. 

0 Me gusta
pgraham
Participante

Opt Outs?

resolver

You MUST have the marketing tool to import an opt-out list, you can't do that if you have sales or CRM.  Please read the original post, asking about CRM.  This is a rather ridiculous limitation, if you ask me.

I am often given instructions for doing something in HubSpot that do not work for me because I don't have the marketing tool.

0 Me gusta
2020plus1
Participante

Opt Outs?

resolver

This must rank as the number one weakness of the Hubspot platform - the gradual erosion of functionality as an underhand means of getting customers to upgrade. 
As someone facing the mammoth task of manually updating contact records in order to comply with GDPR, I tend to agree with earlier comments about the ability to import opt-outs being a 'must-have' feature for CRM & Sales customers.  Clearly, whoever set this policy has scant regard for user satisfaction, despite all the marketing hype. 
I have just wasted 2 hours going round in circles trying to follow the instructions of Hubspot staff, no less, just to find out that it isn't possible under my current subscription.  Thanks Hubspot... for nothing!

0 Me gusta
ncrisologo
Participante

Opt Outs?

resolver

I don't see the option to manually "opt - out" a contact. 

Is this an option within the SalesHub? 

I don't see the "opt-out list" option within the SalesHub , Contacts --> Import option

pgraham
Participante

Opt Outs?

resolver

I have the same problem - and I found out this is NOT an option with HubSpot CRM, you have to have HubSpot marketing to have this option!

I am actually very very frustrated that you have to have the marketing option to import an opt-out list, I am not sure this is GDPR complaint?  I use HubSpot Sales Pro, and I don't wish to contact customers that don't want to hear from me, but I have just over 8,000 that have opted out, and clearly, I cannot update all of those manually!!  I created a custom field and imported it there, but, there's no enforcement, so it's up to me to remember to check the field.  That's not good.

PLEASE let paying customers import an opt-out list!!

BrettLanguirand
Solución
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

Opt Outs?

resolver

Hi @Sarahhh,

There are a couple ways to opt out contacts in the Hubspot CRM tool.  The first way is to manually opt out the contacts right from their records.  This can be done by navigating to a contact record who you want to opt out, click on the gear icon to the right of the contact's name in the upper left corner of their contact record and click on Opt out of email.  This method works great for one-offs, but in the event that you have multiple contacts, a second method might be easier.

If you have, or can create a CSV of contacts who you want opted out of email communication, you can import an opt out list by following these steps: 

Click on Contacts > All Contact > Imports > Import a New File.
Click on Choose File and find your CSV file with all the people you want to unsubscribe, choose it, and click Open.
You only need email addresses on this file.
Switch to the Advanced View, and for the Import Type field choose Import Opt Out List.
Map the email address field to "Email."
Click Begin List Processing.
All of the email addresses in the file will be opted-out of future email communication.

This information can also be found here (https://knowledge.hubspot.com/articles/kcs_article/contacts/how-do-i-unsubscribe-or-opt-out-contacts...).

Please let me know if you have any questions!

Thanks,

Brett

0 Me gusta
imanilea
Participante

Opt Outs?

resolver

Hi.  I followed this process, and after I uploaded the list I didn't see any confirmation and the Import log did not show the import as successful.  I did get the email, but it seems like the list isn't visible in Hubspot.  Is this because these users aren't created as contacts? 

How can I see the list after the import? 

0 Me gusta
jennysowyrda

Opt Outs?

resolver

Hi @imanilea,

If you do not have lists available in your portal, you can filter your contacts by: 

Opted out of email: is equal to yes

(if the contacts were added as contacts yesterday, you can also add) create date: is equal to [date of import]

That will give you a list of all of the contacts who are opted out of certain types of email. 

Thank you,
Jenny

0 Me gusta
pgraham
Participante

Opt Outs?

resolver

Please read the original posters comment that they have HubSpot CRM - NOT HubSpot Marketing.  You only allow HubSpot MARKETING customers to import an opt-out list, which I find extremely frustrating!  Even more frustrating is to be given instructions that do not apply to HubSpot CRM/Sales pro customers.

Kevin2
Miembro

Opt Outs?

resolver

I have gone through your different suggested processes to import an opt out list and the instructions provided do not match the actuality of hubspot. For example:

Marketing account, navigate to Content > Email does not exist as a pathway.

Neither does:

• Click Start a new import.
  • Select An opt out list

This has been an exercise in frustration please assist asap.
Thank You

0 Me gusta
roisinkirby
Equipo de producto de HubSpot
Equipo de producto de HubSpot

Opt Outs?

resolver

Hey @Sarahhh welcome to the community and thanks for contributing! If you found @BrettLanguirand's response helpful make sure to market it as an accepted solution for the rest of the community. If you need any further help just shout and I'd be happy to assist. 

0 Me gusta