CRM

HaroldWagner

One domain name 5 companies

SOLVE

Thank you for your help.

I am an outside salesperson.  I call on 5 locally owned companies but they all use one company name.   The example is AmeriGas is the company, but each location is locally owned and purchase different items.   They have different people and a different address. They also pay differently.

How do I track them?

On the mobile app, how do I use a different address? 

Thank you again for your help

2 Accepted solutions
Josh
Solution
Recognized Expert | Platinum Partner

SOLVE

Hi @HaroldWagner,

I think what you may have to do is use a custom property to identify which "location" is which. You can then use that custom property in a variety of ways, but I think the best use will be through filters. If you're using a pro version of HubSpot, you'll also be able to use a property for smart lists. 

The specific scenario may be a bit more complext than I'm understanding, but if you'd want to get into some more discussion about this, I am happy to help!

Did this post help solve your problem? If so, please mark it as a solution.

Josh Curcio

HubSpot support and inbound marketing for OEMs, contract manufacturers, and industrial suppliers.
HubSpot Platinum Partner & HubSpot Certified Trainer

View solution in original post

0 Upvotes
MFrankJohnson
Solution
Thought Leader

SOLVE

Q: How do I track multiple companies with the same domain name, but which are separately owned and operated?

Short A: Enter them as separate Companies in HubSpot.

Longer A:

You may want to just add each location as a separate company using the same COMPANY NAME, but a dummy domain name since all contacts will have varying email domains. That way, you can associate contacts with the separate "locally owned" entities with no regard for the main Company.
(see image)

hubspot-companies-multiple-with-same-name.png

Because each is a separate Company, each will have its own physical address and additional details.

You'll also be able to track revenue to each entity separately (as needed).

While the names 'Parent Company' and 'Child Company' sound nice in HubSpot, once you read the limitations of this model it becomes less useful in HubSpot (and even Salesforce).
- see How do I add a parent or child company to an existing company record?

Note: Please search for recent posts as HubSpot evolves to be the #1 CRM platform of choice world-wide.

Hope that helps.

Be well,
Frank

www.mfrankjohnson.com

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4
MFrankJohnson
Solution
Thought Leader

SOLVE

Q: How do I track multiple companies with the same domain name, but which are separately owned and operated?

Short A: Enter them as separate Companies in HubSpot.

Longer A:

You may want to just add each location as a separate company using the same COMPANY NAME, but a dummy domain name since all contacts will have varying email domains. That way, you can associate contacts with the separate "locally owned" entities with no regard for the main Company.
(see image)

hubspot-companies-multiple-with-same-name.png

Because each is a separate Company, each will have its own physical address and additional details.

You'll also be able to track revenue to each entity separately (as needed).

While the names 'Parent Company' and 'Child Company' sound nice in HubSpot, once you read the limitations of this model it becomes less useful in HubSpot (and even Salesforce).
- see How do I add a parent or child company to an existing company record?

Note: Please search for recent posts as HubSpot evolves to be the #1 CRM platform of choice world-wide.

Hope that helps.

Be well,
Frank

www.mfrankjohnson.com
PaulMF

SOLVE

Hi - embarking upon our implementation of hubspot and coming across what seems quite a fundamental problem.

We have customers who are large and with multiple trading entities and devolved responsibility into geographical business units.

They all have the same domain! 

My question is, if we spoof the domains, has anyone reported any issues with 'de-spoofing' to use the email tracking functionality and then a system update 'de-duplicating' of its own accord or after an update?

Seems like for two years this has been the workaround, but in practice it seems like we could leave our data in a risky state - and vulnerable to hubspot's 'de-duplicating'.

PaulMF

SOLVE

I'll reply to my own message in case it helps...

We followed the advice to spoof the data load domains - and are now paying temporary staff to 'despoof'.

Since you don't have access to the DB tables, you cannot script out the spoofing, nor are Hubspot able to.

They did confirm that the importer tool was the only 'de-duplicator' which was useful.

But we're still in the position that after our final data load, rather than being super excited to use a brand new system, our first activity is a forced data cleanse!

Josh
Solution

SOLVE

Hi @HaroldWagner,

I think what you may have to do is use a custom property to identify which "location" is which. You can then use that custom property in a variety of ways, but I think the best use will be through filters. If you're using a pro version of HubSpot, you'll also be able to use a property for smart lists. 

The specific scenario may be a bit more complext than I'm understanding, but if you'd want to get into some more discussion about this, I am happy to help!

Did this post help solve your problem? If so, please mark it as a solution.

Josh Curcio

HubSpot support and inbound marketing for OEMs, contract manufacturers, and industrial suppliers.
HubSpot Platinum Partner & HubSpot Certified Trainer

0 Upvotes