CRM

ltiemann

One Contact with multiple personas

SOLVE

Hello, my team is new to hubspot and we are in desperate need of ideas/help!

Our team is responsible for marketing multiple product lines and each product line has it's own set of personas.  The issue we are having is some of our contacts are interested in more than one of our product lines and each product line is essentially fighting for the contact to have its Persona.   We're thinking creating a custom tag for a secondary persona is the way to go, so that we can segment a list that way. But are there any issues we may have down the road regarding reporting/analytics or anything else we may not be thinking of?  If anybody has any experience with something like this we'd love to hear about it.

Thanks in advance!

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
Phil_Vallender
Solution
Most Valuable Member | Diamond Partner

SOLVE

Hi @ltiemann 

The use of personas is an inexact science at best. However, I would suggest that approach that has your product teams arguing over contacts to have specific personas is not quite right. 

Interest in one product or another should not define persona. Persona's should define the prospect, not the product. If one of your existing personas defines an interest in one product, but excludes interest in the other - but buyers can be interested in both - something is off. 

I'd recommend going back to the drawing board on personas, perhaps with the involvement of the product teams, to define new personas that work for the whole business. 

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need anything more. 

Phil Vallender | HubSpot Website Agency

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1
Phil_Vallender
Solution

SOLVE

Hi @ltiemann 

The use of personas is an inexact science at best. However, I would suggest that approach that has your product teams arguing over contacts to have specific personas is not quite right. 

Interest in one product or another should not define persona. Persona's should define the prospect, not the product. If one of your existing personas defines an interest in one product, but excludes interest in the other - but buyers can be interested in both - something is off. 

I'd recommend going back to the drawing board on personas, perhaps with the involvement of the product teams, to define new personas that work for the whole business. 

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need anything more. 

Phil Vallender | HubSpot Website Agency