CRM

JWaack
Mitwirkender/Mitwirkende

Non-binary salutations?

lösung

Do you have any solutions how to work with the salutation field in forms and still include non-binary options? Hubspot itself doesn't offer any options, so we currently have to go with binary salutations but it would be great to know if any of you had a way how to be inclusive when personalizing emails. 

INF: we collect last names mostly (we're B2B), so any solutions that feature first names can't be used since we don't have that data for a lot of our contacts, especially new ones. 

0 Upvotes
1 Akzeptierte Lösung
karstenkoehler
Lösung
Berühmtheit | Partner
Berühmtheit | Partner

Non-binary salutations?

lösung

Hi @JWaack,

Is your question about finding an inclusive language opion to use in your emails or about capturing the fact that it's neither Mr nor Mrs?

In the latter case, there are two options which I see here:

You could use a single-line free text field in your forms to capture how the person would like to be saluted. Pro: it's completely up to the individual. Con: Finding a universal salutation in emails might become difficult and bad input might result in a broken salutation.

You use a dropdown select field with the options Mr., Mrs. and [empty].

karstenkoehler_1-1639058992456.png

You could now set up smart rules in your emails. When salutation is Mr. or Mrs., address as "Dear Mr." or "Dear Mrs.". When it's the inclusive value, choose a neutral option like "Dear customer" or "Dear reader" etc.

Let me know if I got your question right!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

Lösung in ursprünglichem Beitrag anzeigen

2 Antworten
karstenkoehler
Lösung
Berühmtheit | Partner
Berühmtheit | Partner

Non-binary salutations?

lösung

Hi @JWaack,

Is your question about finding an inclusive language opion to use in your emails or about capturing the fact that it's neither Mr nor Mrs?

In the latter case, there are two options which I see here:

You could use a single-line free text field in your forms to capture how the person would like to be saluted. Pro: it's completely up to the individual. Con: Finding a universal salutation in emails might become difficult and bad input might result in a broken salutation.

You use a dropdown select field with the options Mr., Mrs. and [empty].

karstenkoehler_1-1639058992456.png

You could now set up smart rules in your emails. When salutation is Mr. or Mrs., address as "Dear Mr." or "Dear Mrs.". When it's the inclusive value, choose a neutral option like "Dear customer" or "Dear reader" etc.

Let me know if I got your question right!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

JWaack
Mitwirkender/Mitwirkende

Non-binary salutations?

lösung

Hi Karsten, 

Your second solution sounds really good, we will try this. I will mark this as a solution for now since it sounds like an easy and smart workaround. 

Thank you!