CRM

KJonsson
Contributor

Non-Hubspot Forms - How do I collect the e-mail sent?

SOLVE

Hello community,

I've been looking around for information about this to no avail, but I can't believe this isn't a hot topic of discussion.

When visitors to my website submit a form, the form maps perfectly with HubSpot. No problem there. However, I also want to include the entire e-mail as a note in the contact's timeline in HubSpot. In other words I simply want to log all e-mails sent through my website non-hubspot forms.

How do I do this?

Can I CC the e-mail to a specific HubSpot e-mail, like in Outlook?

Thanks in advance,

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @KJonsson,

HubSpot has a Message field (a default property to be used for any message or comments the contact may want to leave on a form). If you name your non-HubSpot form field in a way that it is automatically mapped to message (or if you create a new HubSpot property that matches your existing field), the HubSpot will store the message from the form submission in this field.

This will be overwritten everytime someone submits the form but you'll be able to see the history of this property if you want to access earlier messages: https://knowledge.hubspot.com/crm-setup/view-property-history

Out of the box, it's not possible to log the message as a note on the contact record as opposed to within a property. This would require development.

Best regards!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8
Jake_Lett
Guide | Partner
Guide | Partner

SOLVE

I might be missing something here, but the contact record saves the activity history. At the top you can filter by the activity type and see all of the form submissions by that contact. 

Screen Shot 2022-06-13 at 9.41.10 PM.png

KJonsson
Contributor

SOLVE

Maybe I wasn't clear enough but HubSpot already logs the activity of form submissions perfectly. That's not the problem.

However, I want the actual message of the form submission to be saved as a log too. In other words I want to log "Hey, I was looking through your services and I'm interested in bla bla..." as a note or e-mail log. 

Again, using non-hubspot forms.

Is this possible and if so how?

0 Upvotes
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @KJonsson,

HubSpot has a Message field (a default property to be used for any message or comments the contact may want to leave on a form). If you name your non-HubSpot form field in a way that it is automatically mapped to message (or if you create a new HubSpot property that matches your existing field), the HubSpot will store the message from the form submission in this field.

This will be overwritten everytime someone submits the form but you'll be able to see the history of this property if you want to access earlier messages: https://knowledge.hubspot.com/crm-setup/view-property-history

Out of the box, it's not possible to log the message as a note on the contact record as opposed to within a property. This would require development.

Best regards!

Karsten Köhler

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

KJonsson
Contributor

SOLVE

Thanks, I guess that answers my question! 😀

What I'm asking for is simply not possible then. Not the answer I was hoping for because it seems weird the initial contact of a customer submitting a website form shouldn't be fully logged (as an email log or note). 

After all, it's possible to log incoming e-mails in my inbox using HubSpot. And form submissions are basically that: incoming e-mails. 

Anyways, thanks for the help and advice.

0 Upvotes
karstenkoehler
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @KJonsson,

Form submissions are logged into properties, emails into activities. If we're talking about a non-HubSpot form, that would be a form submission which falls into the first category.

Glad I could help!

Karsten Köhler

0 Upvotes
KJonsson
Contributor

SOLVE

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I get it but you would agree that it's useless that messages sent through forms can't be saved as logs, right? It would be a highly useful feature to save form messages, no matter the technical definitions.

Today we have to manually copy paste the message from all customer form submissions into the contact page as a new log in HubSpot. 

The "Message" property seems like a better-than-nothing solution, a temp-fix. It's deleted if a new form is submitted by the same contact, it doesn't have a time stamp, we can't leave notes on it etcetera. 

Isn't there another solution like an automated workflow perhaps?

Cheers,

0 Upvotes
karstenkoehler
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @KJonsson,

Sure, for these specific requirements, it would be useful to have this feature. If you want the product team to look into this, you could request it in the HubSpot Ideas section of the community. Posts submitted there are evaluated by the product team based on their popularity.

Not natively, no. It would require third-party solutions that take the value from the Message property and create an activity for it. Alternatively, it can be achieved with custom development.

Best regards

Karsten Köhler

0 Upvotes
kvlschaefer
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hi @KJonsson,

Thanks for reaching out! 

I would like to invite some experts to our conversation to get their thoughts.

Hi @Ian_Matt@Jake_Lett@NicoleSengers@himanshurauthan - Do you have any advice for @KJonsson?

Thanks!

Best,

Kristen

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by changing your language settings !
0 Upvotes