CRM

chop249

Non HubSpot Forms Problem

SOLVE

I have non HS forms populating the CRM. I am using WPForms on several pages with different capture fields. What is happening is that they all populate 1 contact and every time there is a new submission it updates the 1 contact that was created. Shouldn't it create a new contact with each submission regardless of the information placed in the fields?

2 Accepted solutions
matthodkinson
Solution
Contributor | Platinum Partner

SOLVE

Hi Bob,

The default method of form submission handling sees the email property being the "primary key", so if that field remains the same in each submission, the same record will be updated. Be sure to include a mandatory email field in your form, and this should force a new contact to be created each time.

WPForms wrote this article to help... How to create a contact in HubSpot from a Wordpress form

Hope that helps!

View solution in original post

ericacowan
Solution
Contributor

SOLVE

Hi @stuccosalt,

Even if the form is not a HubSpot form, the forms API should still be submitting the non-HubSpot form data to a kind of "dummy" form within HubSpot that then updates HubSpot contact records. 

I think you should still be able to update those settings to always create new contacts with new email addresses.

Marketing - Lead Capture - Forms - [Your Non-HubSpot Form] - Actions - Edit form - Options tab - toggle Always create contact for new email address on

See - https://knowledge.hubspot.com/contacts/deduplication-of-contacts-companies-deals-tickets#deduplicate...

"If you want each form submission from the same browser to create a new contact, enable the Always create new contact for new email setting in your form optionsThis can be useful in specific situations, such as collecting contact details at a trade show on a single device."

NOTE - Not really a solution... Looks like this is still an issue that HubSpot needs to offer a fix for. See additional comments from Jan 14, 2020. In my case, for a not fully automated non-HubSpot form API, I was able to manually go in and adjust settings, but for fully automated non-HubSpot form integrations it sounds like that option isn't available. 

View solution in original post

21 Replies 21
kelseyhamon
Participant

SOLVE

Hi All, 

Found a submission in ideas portal to correct this. Everyone should go give it an upvote!

https://community.hubspot.com/t5/HubSpot-Ideas/Stop-appending-form-submissions-via-matching-cookies-...

grzaks
Participant

SOLVE

Answers marked as solutions are not solving this problem.

We use the Forms API to submit data to HubSpot. The requests are all sent from our backend server, all from the same IP, without any cookies attached (as it's not a user browser request but server request). Today I've found the two submissions were merged into one contact. They had different emails, different phone numbers and no cookies attached. They indeed had the same value in the "address" and "city" fields but those are the only values in the form submissions that were the same for both requests.

Why were they merged into one contact?! It's absurd. You can't trust HubSpot if it makes such a mess ...

grzaks_0-1608308659112.png

0 Upvotes
PamCotton
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hello @grzaks 

The solutions were marked as solved based on the specific case of different users here.

In your case,  I would recommend connecting with HubSpot Technical Support, as Support is included in your subscription and they will be able to provide real-time assistance for this matter, including hopping on a screen share if necessary to gather more information including the API.

Kindly,

Pam

Você sabia que a Comunidade está disponível em outros idiomas?
Participe de conversas regionais, alterando suas configurações de idioma !

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by changing your language settings !

0 Upvotes
DanielIMS

SOLVE

Dear @PamCotton 

Can you say which solutions provided above? who provided the solution?

I dont see any solution above, only link to irrelevant Hubspot guilds

I have the same issue and i dont know what to do -

please make:

non Hubspot form by default it should be  - "Always create contact for new email address"

PamCotton
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hello @DanielIMS,

Could you please provide us more information on your specific case? The workarounds provided above can help you but with more information, we can investigate your case and provide you the correct information.

Thank you!

Pam

0 Upvotes
DanielIMS

SOLVE

Dear @PamCotton thank you for the quick response.

My issue is the following:

Today two people filled my Non-Hubspot form WP site and because they used the same IP (same computer) those two contacts merged into one. And the second input updated the first one (picture attached).

DanielIMS_1-1608305462587.png

My question: is there a way that new email will open new contact and not update the previous one?

Thank you,

Daniel

0 Upvotes
PamCotton
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hello @DanielIMS ,

Since they are using the same device, once this information is sent to HubSpot it will identify as an update of the contact, even if the email is different.

While using a HubSpot form, there is an option to Always create contact for new email address: select this option to create a new contact record for every submission with a unique email address. If the email address submitted matches an existing contact record in your database, the details on the existing record will be updated. When this option is enabled, the Pre-populate contact fields with known values option won't be available.

But since this is a non-Hubspot form I'm afraid that it won't be possible to turn off this cookie tracking for non-HS forms, as the non-HS forms tool relies on the cookie to push the submission data to HubSpot, more information here.

I would highly recommend you to please post this idea at our ideas forum (here).

Our product team, who monitors the forum regularly, can read your specific use case and understand why this would be a useful functionality or change. It also helps other customers facing the same issue to advocate for its implementation on your behalf by upvoting on the thread as well.

Thank you,

Pam

0 Upvotes
PhillB

SOLVE

We have the same issue. In fact HubSpot support directed me this post for the solution... my understanding is that there is no solution to the problem - what an oversight!! Does anyone know if SalesForce has the same issue? I'm just trialling at the moment so no issue to move over to a different CRM. Any thoughts very much appreciated. 

Many thanks in advance. 

0 Upvotes
PamCotton
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hello @PhillB,

At the moment there are a few workarounds provided by our users above, could you please provide us more information on your end.  The more information, screenshots, and details you can provide, the better I can advise on the next steps. 

Kindly,

Pam

MFrankJohnson
Thought Leader

SOLVE

- see Create forms (Customize your form options section)

It is essential that cookie tracking is set correctly for your use case.- see Collect Contact Information Without Disabling Cookie Tracking On Your Forms

Note: Please search for recent posts as HubSpot evolves to be the #1 CRM platform of choice world-wide.

Hope that helps.

Be well,
Frank

www.mfrankjohnson.com
Attabur
Participant

SOLVE

Hi Frank,

I am having exactly same Cookies issue. Hence Create forms (Customize your form options section) is applicable for a Hubspot form, but in this case we are taking about a Non Hubspot form. And Hubspot doesn't provide the way to get in to Options where actually you can tweak settings for "Always create contact for new email address: select this option.... and all other options.   https://knowledge.hubspot.com/forms/use-non-hubspot-forms will not provide the 'Options' as mentioned by other users. 

In my Opinion - by default 'Cookies should be disabled for non Hubspot form and ON - "Always create contact for new email address"

In real scenarios generic email - for example - 

info@example.com will be used for company purpose and not for a contact purpose.

Lead purpose - organisation will have a staff ID i.e. John.smith@example.com

But the same KIOSK computer may used by different people

Hence in my opinion- non Hubspot form by default it should be  - "Always create contact for new email address"

Dear Hubspot team,

We'd like to request to resolve this matter because it is causing/will cause a lot more issue with existing contact for a shared PC (it could be a seminer registration event, open event etc. with 100s of registrants)

Smiley Indifferent

Cheers

Attabur

kelseyhamon
Participant

SOLVE

Hi Attabur, 

Did you submit this as a feature request in the ideas portal somewhere? If so, I'd love to go give it an upvote. This feature is absolutely necessary for non-hubspot form tracking. 

0 Upvotes
williamwright
Participant | Elite Partner
Participant | Elite Partner

SOLVE

Im in full agreement. non-hubspot forms should have the option to create a new contact  for many reasons.

0 Upvotes
ericacowan
Contributor

SOLVE

We just implemented some non-HubSpot forms via API and ran into merged contacts as well while we were testing.

In our case, even submissions from different email addresses were being merged together if we hadn't cleared out our cache while submitting test forms.

After some troubleshooting, we found that our issue was that HubSpot merges contact records if there's a matching cookie - even if the email address is different. 

More info on deduplicating contacts by usertoken

https://knowledge.hubspot.com/contacts/deduplication-of-contacts-companies-deals-tickets#deduplicate...

chop249

SOLVE

This is exactly the issue. But I don't have the options they refer to in the solution you suggest. There is no "create a new contact on each submission" button for a non HubSpot form that I can find. If I create a HubSpot form I do see that option. 

stuccosalt
Participant

SOLVE

Have you been able work around this? I'm experiencing the same issue with devices that are taken to trade shows and repeatedly overwriting the same contacts. 

Changing to a HubSpot form is not an option, as the form in question is a sign-up form that creates a user on our website & triggers a bunch of other activities.

ericacowan
Solution
Contributor

SOLVE

Hi @stuccosalt,

Even if the form is not a HubSpot form, the forms API should still be submitting the non-HubSpot form data to a kind of "dummy" form within HubSpot that then updates HubSpot contact records. 

I think you should still be able to update those settings to always create new contacts with new email addresses.

Marketing - Lead Capture - Forms - [Your Non-HubSpot Form] - Actions - Edit form - Options tab - toggle Always create contact for new email address on

See - https://knowledge.hubspot.com/contacts/deduplication-of-contacts-companies-deals-tickets#deduplicate...

"If you want each form submission from the same browser to create a new contact, enable the Always create new contact for new email setting in your form optionsThis can be useful in specific situations, such as collecting contact details at a trade show on a single device."

NOTE - Not really a solution... Looks like this is still an issue that HubSpot needs to offer a fix for. See additional comments from Jan 14, 2020. In my case, for a not fully automated non-HubSpot form API, I was able to manually go in and adjust settings, but for fully automated non-HubSpot form integrations it sounds like that option isn't available. 

stuccosalt
Participant

SOLVE

Hi @ericacowan 

Thanks for the quick response! On non-HubSpot forms you don't have the option to edit the form or ignore cookies, as far as I can see.. it seems fully automated.

Screen Shot 2020-01-14 at 10.24.14 AM.png

ericacowan
Contributor

SOLVE

hmm... sorry! In my case with our API, it's not fully automated so we are able to get in there and change the settings. 

Looks like this is still an issue that HubSpot needs to offer a fix for. Smiley Sad

0 Upvotes
matthodkinson
Solution

SOLVE

Hi Bob,

The default method of form submission handling sees the email property being the "primary key", so if that field remains the same in each submission, the same record will be updated. Be sure to include a mandatory email field in your form, and this should force a new contact to be created each time.

WPForms wrote this article to help... How to create a contact in HubSpot from a Wordpress form

Hope that helps!