Non HubSpot Forms Problem

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

I have non HS forms populating the CRM. I am using WPForms on several pages with different capture fields. What is happening is that they all populate 1 contact and every time there is a new submission it updates the 1 contact that was created. Shouldn't it create a new contact with each submission regardless of the information placed in the fields?

9 Replies 9
Highlighted
Regular Contributor | Platinum Partner

Hi Bob,

The default method of form submission handling sees the email property being the "primary key", so if that field remains the same in each submission, the same record will be updated. Be sure to include a mandatory email field in your form, and this should force a new contact to be created each time.

WPForms wrote this article to help... How to create a contact in HubSpot from a Wordpress form

Hope that helps!

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

I have emails in all of the forms. They are overwriting the previous submission. I don't have problems connecting without the Zap app. Thanks.

0 Upvotes
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

We just implemented some non-HubSpot forms via API and ran into merged contacts as well while we were testing.

In our case, even submissions from different email addresses were being merged together if we hadn't cleared out our cache while submitting test forms.

After some troubleshooting, we found that our issue was that HubSpot merges contact records if there's a matching cookie - even if the email address is different. 

More info on deduplicating contacts by usertoken

https://knowledge.hubspot.com/contacts/deduplication-of-contacts-companies-deals-tickets#deduplicate...

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

This is exactly the issue. But I don't have the options they refer to in the solution you suggest. There is no "create a new contact on each submission" button for a non HubSpot form that I can find. If I create a HubSpot form I do see that option. 

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Have you been able work around this? I'm experiencing the same issue with devices that are taken to trade shows and repeatedly overwriting the same contacts. 

Changing to a HubSpot form is not an option, as the form in question is a sign-up form that creates a user on our website & triggers a bunch of other activities.

0 Upvotes
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Hi @stuccosalt,

Even if the form is not a HubSpot form, the forms API should still be submitting the non-HubSpot form data to a kind of "dummy" form within HubSpot that then updates HubSpot contact records. 

I think you should still be able to update those settings to always create new contacts with new email addresses.

Marketing - Lead Capture - Forms - [Your Non-HubSpot Form] - Actions - Edit form - Options tab - toggle Always create contact for new email address on

See - https://knowledge.hubspot.com/contacts/deduplication-of-contacts-companies-deals-tickets#deduplicate...

"If you want each form submission from the same browser to create a new contact, enable the Always create new contact for new email setting in your form optionsThis can be useful in specific situations, such as collecting contact details at a trade show on a single device."

Regular Visitor

Hi @ericacowan 

Thanks for the quick response! On non-HubSpot forms you don't have the option to edit the form or ignore cookies, as far as I can see.. it seems fully automated.

Screen Shot 2020-01-14 at 10.24.14 AM.png

0 Upvotes
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

hmm... sorry! In my case with our API, it's not fully automated so we are able to get in there and change the settings. 

Looks like this is still an issue that HubSpot needs to offer a fix for. Smiley Sad

0 Upvotes
Highlighted
Community Superstar

- see Create forms (Customize your form options section)

It is essential that cookie tracking is set correctly for your use case.- see Collect Contact Information Without Disabling Cookie Tracking On Your Forms

Note: HubSpot is a constantly evolving platform. Please check the date of each post and view all solutions in that context -- see Marketing Hub Enterprise 2020.

Hope that helps.

Best,
Frank

Support • Web • Apps • Training

HubSpot's Hiring World-Wide!