CRM

ChrisChiha
Top Contributor

New notification through workflow, for contacts who didn't open the email

SOLVE

Hello,

I have multiple workflows running, that send emails to customers and partners.

Is it possible to add steps in the workflow to know if a contact opened the email or no ? As if he didn't open the emaill, i would like to send a notifcation on a different channel.

Maybe populating a static list with contacts who didn't opened the email, or similar solutions ?

Thank you !

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @ChrisChiha,

Yes, this is a bit complicated as it's not an out-of-the-box use case in HubSpot.

You don't have to link the two workflows. I'm not sure which of the two scenarios you're referring to but let's assume the second.

The contact-based workflow would do nothing but check whether a contact opens that email and save that information into a contact property. It doesn't have to be linked to the other workflow. On its own, it works perfectly fine and does its job of making available the information that you need in the deal workflow.

The deal workflow can then reference that value in the property and you can branch by this value. No need to link an entire workflow, you just need the information that was stored in the custom property by the contact-based workflow.

This is unfortunately how this would have to be designed.

Let me know if you have any follow-up questions!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

View solution in original post

0 Upvotes
6 Replies 6
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @ChrisChiha,

Yes, this is a bit complicated as it's not an out-of-the-box use case in HubSpot.

You don't have to link the two workflows. I'm not sure which of the two scenarios you're referring to but let's assume the second.

The contact-based workflow would do nothing but check whether a contact opens that email and save that information into a contact property. It doesn't have to be linked to the other workflow. On its own, it works perfectly fine and does its job of making available the information that you need in the deal workflow.

The deal workflow can then reference that value in the property and you can branch by this value. No need to link an entire workflow, you just need the information that was stored in the custom property by the contact-based workflow.

This is unfortunately how this would have to be designed.

Let me know if you have any follow-up questions!

Karsten Köhler

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

0 Upvotes
ChrisChiha
Top Contributor

SOLVE

Hey @karstenkoehler ,

Yes i got your point now, sounds good and longgg. But i guess that's the only approach for this.

Thank you again for the support,

Chris

0 Upvotes
ChrisChiha
Top Contributor

SOLVE

@karstenkoehler It seems a bit complicated, as if i do 2 workflows of different types (one deal-based and the other contact based) i can't get to link them together.

Can't enroll 2 workflows together if they have different types.

0 Upvotes
karstenkoehler
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @ChrisChiha,

Yes, this is possible. Add an if/then branch in your workflow and select "Marketing emails":

karstenkoehler_0-1641200851039.png

You can then create branches based on whether HubSpot registered an open for that email or not:

karstenkoehler_1-1641200881454.png

Keep in mind that this does not necessarily mean that a contact actually opened (or did not open) an email. The measurement of opens is becoming increasingly unreliable, see for example the challenges arising with iOS 15. Not all email service providers give accurate information on whether an email was opened or not.

Whatever you design, I'd recommend keeping that in mind. (For example, I'd advise against anything that mentions specifically that something was seen/read by the recipient. You should always assume that your workflow is occasionally sending the wrong email.)

Hope this helps!

Karsten Köhler

0 Upvotes
ChrisChiha
Top Contributor

SOLVE

Hello @karstenkoehler ,

But this doesn't work on deal-based workflows right ?
I had to use deal based workflows as my emails contain personalization tokens for data found in the deal object.

0 Upvotes
karstenkoehler
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @ChrisChiha,

Correct, you would have to split your automation into two workflows: one that sends the automated email in a deal-based workflow, another contact-based workflow for if/then-branch based on the open.

If the second email is also one that uses deal personalization tokens, then things get a bit more complicated. You would have to use save the information about the marketing email that is being opened in a custom contact property (using a separate contact-based workflow). In your deal-based workflow, you could then branch by this contact property.

Let me know if you need more details on this.

Best regards!

Karsten Köhler

0 Upvotes