CRM

SElMardi

New customer metric

Is there an automated metric inside hubspot which measures new customers? We use an API which sends deals from our website directly to 'Deals', but we want to know how many new customers we get every month.

Also i've noticed the 'Deal type' metrics, which includes 'New Business' and Exsisting Business'. I'm wondering when a deal is considerd 'New Business'? And when it turns into an 'Exsisting Business'.

Thank you

0 Upvotes
2 Replies 2
SElMardi

New customer metric

Hi @Josh,

First of all thank you for the detailed explanation! I think the best and easy way is indeed using the New Business/ Exsisting metric.

I'm still wondering though, when is a customer/business considered as new/exsisting with this metric? Customers can send us mutliple inquiry's in one day via our website, so is there like a timeframe which decides an inquiry will be labeled as new business/exsisting business? Or is hubspot only labeling the first inquiry as new and the remaining ones as exsisting? 

To add some information; some customers who've been already a customer of us before, are popping up sporadicly as 'New Business' when they shoot in an inquiry via our website. So do they lose their label as an 'Exsisting Business' after a periode of time?

0 Upvotes
Josh
Recognized Expert | Platinum Partner
Recognized Expert | Platinum Partner

New customer metric

Hi @SElMardi,

I think there are a few ways in which you could track this, but I don't know if there is just a single answer because it's dependent on how previous deals/customers are tracked.

• New/Existing Business
    • This is the ideal way to track in my opinion
    • I would create a workflow that automates the changing of this property if the lifecycle of the company/contact is already set to customer. If you aren't using the lifecycle stage property, that could become complicated.
    • You can then build a report that pulls based on whether the deal was marked as new/existing.
  • We've used first deal create date in the past.
    • For example, if you are creating a quarterly report and you wanted to see revenue from companies in which the first deal created was within that quarter, you would build a report based on this property associated with revenue/deals.
    • This is reliant upon having accurate historic data. 
  • Custom properties
    • Since you are sending data to HubSpot from the website, in theory you can use a label on a custom property that tracks it as a new deal (if your website knows this info).
    • If the website isn't tracking this either, then this probably isn't feasible.

I'm sure there are other ways to accomplish this, but these are the first that come to mind based on what we've done in the past. I hope it helps!

Josh

Did this post help solve your problem? If so, please mark it as a solution.

Josh Curcio

HubSpot support and inbound marketing for OEMs, contract manufacturers, and industrial suppliers.
HubSpot Platinum Partner & HubSpot Certified Trainer