CRM

jfd118
Contributor

Negative score based on HubSpot free email domains

SOLVE

I'm building a lead scoring capability using the "Score" property functionality.   I've now learned many times that contacts that provide their corporate email addresses are much higher value than those from free email sources.  

I can't find a way to add a negative factor to the score for the entire list of free email sources that HubSpot publishes (the available CSV file).   Is there a way to do add all the email addresses?  

I've seen discussions in other posts unrelated to lead scoring that people ask for a functionality for the entire list to be available for filtering.   That applies in this instance. 

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @jfd118,

You can assign a negative score based on the property "Email domain". It looks like you have to manually add all the email domains but there is a hack, using an Excel file and semicolons which I described here. Depending on how long the list is, this might be a challenge for your browser, so maybe grab a coffee while it does its thing.

Let me know if you have any follow-up questions!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7
jfd118
Contributor

SOLVE

I'll try again!

danmoyle
Most Valuable Member | Elite Partner
Most Valuable Member | Elite Partner

SOLVE

Hi @jfd118. In the HubSpot Score property, you can choose to add a negative criteria under contact filter "email domain." In the text field, copy and paste all the domains you'd like to filter, using a semicolon between them (as @karstenkoehler mentioned above, the semicolon is the key to multiple choices). It will look like this:

danmoyle_0-1633529427018.png

That should set your score up to knock those free emails down a notch or two. 

Did my answer help? Please "mark as a solution" to help others find answers. Plus I really appreciate it!

Dan Moyle

HubSpot Advisor

LearningOps | Impulse Creative

emailAddress
dan@impulsecreative.com
website
https://impulsecreative.com/
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @jfd118,

You can assign a negative score based on the property "Email domain". It looks like you have to manually add all the email domains but there is a hack, using an Excel file and semicolons which I described here. Depending on how long the list is, this might be a challenge for your browser, so maybe grab a coffee while it does its thing.

Let me know if you have any follow-up questions!

Karsten Köhler

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

jfd118
Contributor

SOLVE
Thanks for the reply. I've tried that in other applications and it does
not work. The semi-colons don't work. Which is to say, the individual
domains are not separated when I paste it in.

0 Upvotes
jfd118
Contributor

SOLVE

I stand corrected!  The semi-colon magic worked.   Interestingly I could not get this to work when filtering in Contacts.   

karstenkoehler
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Nice! Glad it's working now, @jfd118. Happy scoring.

If you want others to find this information more easily, you can accept my earlier post as a solution. I'd appreciate it 🙂

Karsten Köhler

0 Upvotes
karstenkoehler
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @jfd118,

This might depend on the the software you're using (Excel vs Google Sheets, Firefox vs Safari etc.), but I'm confident you'll get it to work.

Best regards!

Karsten Köhler

0 Upvotes