CRM

STWD99
Participant

Merging Duplicate Contacts affects Workflows

SOLVE

When I use the consolidated "merge duplicates" functionality (which is great by the way!) for duplicate contacts, I've noticed that it also re-enrolls the newly merged contct into any workflows in which the contact was originally enrolled.  This means we have to track down and turn off ALL possible workflows that could be affected by the merging, totally shutting down a good portion of our automation in the process.  Is there a way to merge duplicates that doesn't impact workflows or any other automated process that may relate to a contact?

Thanks in advance for the help! 🙂

1 Accepted solution
sharonlicari
Solution
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hey @STWD99 

Usually, when contacts are merged, the updated data sometimes triggers re-enrollment in workflows.

I would like to share this community post I found 'Prevent contacts from re-enrolling in workflows after a merge' - while this is not ideal, the suggested workarounds have been outlined really well. This would be to use goals or if/then branches to filter out merged contacts by targeting properties or email send activity - but again, it may affect intentional re-enrollment.

If you would like to see this implemented in the future, I would recommend upvoting that idea our product team regularly review new ideas and engage with our users for their feedback, and this is a great way to help the idea gain more attentionSmiley Happy

I hope this helps. 

Thank you

Sharon

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by changing your language settings !

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3
Msyvrais
Key Advisor

SOLVE

check your workflow suppressions - new feature rolled out recently on my platform that handles this!

Capture.PNG

sharonlicari
Solution
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hey @STWD99 

Usually, when contacts are merged, the updated data sometimes triggers re-enrollment in workflows.

I would like to share this community post I found 'Prevent contacts from re-enrolling in workflows after a merge' - while this is not ideal, the suggested workarounds have been outlined really well. This would be to use goals or if/then branches to filter out merged contacts by targeting properties or email send activity - but again, it may affect intentional re-enrollment.

If you would like to see this implemented in the future, I would recommend upvoting that idea our product team regularly review new ideas and engage with our users for their feedback, and this is a great way to help the idea gain more attentionSmiley Happy

I hope this helps. 

Thank you

Sharon

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by changing your language settings !

STWD99
Participant

SOLVE

Fantastic, thanks for your help Sharon! I'll certainly check out that post and give it an upvote.  That feature would be invaluable to our company if implemented in the future.  I'm happy to settle with a workaround in the meantime.

Thanks again! 🙂