Merging Contacts

SOLVE
Esteemed Contributor

When I merge two contacts, it would be nice if the newly merged document included all the data of the two. I just did a merge and lost the phone number, job title, and all the other info that I'd spent much time collecting. A real PITA.

1 Accepted solution

Accepted Solutions
Community Thought Leader | Diamond Partner

Hi @realizeit

The contact object in HubSpot only has one of each main property inside. So, when merging two contacts, losing some data is possible and is the intended behaviour of the app. 

For most contact properties, merging two contacts will result in the fields that have updated most recently being kept. Full details on the merge function are here: What happens when I merge two contacts?

Hope that helps.

Phil Vallender | Inbound marketing for B2B technology companies
7 Replies 7
Community Thought Leader | Diamond Partner

Hi @realizeit

The contact object in HubSpot only has one of each main property inside. So, when merging two contacts, losing some data is possible and is the intended behaviour of the app. 

For most contact properties, merging two contacts will result in the fields that have updated most recently being kept. Full details on the merge function are here: What happens when I merge two contacts?

Hope that helps.

Phil Vallender | Inbound marketing for B2B technology companies
Esteemed Contributor

But..I don't like the "intended behavior of the app." %-)

Regular Contributor

I don't like the solution either....Especially if I want to designate one Contact as the primary and then merge the second Contact into it.  Right now...the Contact with the most current activity is designated as the Primary arbitrarily (or by Hubspot design).

At a minimum, it would be nice if it created a note or something.  I think more work is needed here. 

Highlighted
New Contributor

Some fields (including lists) are just overrided ; it is not the most recent one kept up.

For example, if I merge a contact being part of a list into a contact without list, the result will have no list.

That makes no sens !

Best would be, in case of conflict of unruled case, to ask to the client : pop-in with two tables, primary and secondary info ; keep or don't.

Best example is the conflict resolution of GIT, your developers must know about it Smiley Happy

0 Upvotes
Occasional Contributor

Merging contacts is always a horrible task for me.  In a perfect world, I could merge through a screen that shows the properties for contact 1 on the left and contact 2 on the right and I can select which fields I would like to keep.  Keeping the most up to date field is not always the best or relevant information to keep.

Regular Contributor

I so agree!! Drives me crazy~

0 Upvotes
New Contributor

totally agreed! We have some serious issues with losing info as our check boxes gets replaced rather than merged or combined. Simpler CRMs (we came from Agile CRM) had  that option and it was great.

0 Upvotes