CRM

HarveyL
Participant

Merge properties

Résolue

Hi

I've just ran an import and made a custom property called Position and since noticed that there was already a property called Job Title.  Is there any way of merging the two properties or change the Position property to Job Title? The reason I'd like to change it is because the Job Title field shows on the company page by the contacts.

Thanks

1 Solution acceptée
BrettLanguirand
Solution
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

Merge properties

Résolue

Hello @HarveyL,

There isn't a way to merge to properties together, but one workaround is to export your contacts and include the properties "Position" and "Job Title" on the export file.  Open the file in Excel, copy the values from the "Position" column" into the "Job Title" column, and then import that file.  Make sure that the Job Titles are accurate in the CSV, because importing the new values will overwrite any current Job Titles in the CRM.  In this case, there won't be any surprises because by including the "Job Title" column in the CSV, you'll see any current values and can choose to not copy the "Position" value for certain contacts.

Once the values are added to Job Title, you can delete the contact property "Position".

I hope this helps!

Brett

Voir la solution dans l'envoi d'origine

9 Réponses
RBozeman
Participant

Merge properties

Résolue

Hi @HarveyL,

I realize that this thread is pretty old, but thought I would share in case others came across this issue as well. 

For now, the only way to merge properties is either through the API, or using a custom-coded solution in Operations Hub. 

Also, I wanted to share that Insycle can help with this. With Insycle, you can analyze any field in your database, along with the variations of the data contained within that field, to consolidate and retire legacy fields that are creating clutter in HubSpot. Here is our help documentation article for doing this. 

Hope that helps!

Best,

Ryan

kvlschaefer
Gestionnaire de communauté
Gestionnaire de communauté

Merge properties

Résolue

Hi @RBozeman,

Thank you for sharing these options with us!

Best,

Kristen 

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by changing your language settings !
SimonDEBRITO
Participant

Merge properties

Résolue

Hi,

I think I've found a way to do this. Let's say you want to merge {first name} + {last name} into a {full name} property.

All you have to do is create a workflow:

1. Start a workflow from scratch
  2. Select a trigger, like "email address is known"
  3. Add a new action: "Set property value"
  4. Select the destination field or property to set: "full name"
  5. In the new tab that appears, click on "add contact tokens"
  6. Select the contact token "first name"
  7. Add a space
  8. Select the contact token "last name"
  9. Save
  10. Publish your workflow

System - Job Title Matching - All _ HubSpot (2).png

😊

RLeonNavas
Participant

Merge properties

Résolue

Such an smart solution! Thank you!

DOriade
Participant

Merge properties

Résolue

This is Great! Thank you!

Dave_
Contributeur

Merge properties

Résolue

There a couple of ways this could be done, the manual way via import and exports as described above, and this is a method I have used myself.

But the easier way, via an integration maintaining all future edits and additions:
https://ecosystem.hubspot.com/marketplace/apps/marketing/marketing-automation/integration-agent-conc...

Disclaimer: I am the author of the above integration, and it is paid (though I've done my absolute best to keep it affordable). But it was very much built to help us internally avoid having to do repeated manual export imports across a number of our accounts.

BrettLanguirand
Solution
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

Merge properties

Résolue

Hello @HarveyL,

There isn't a way to merge to properties together, but one workaround is to export your contacts and include the properties "Position" and "Job Title" on the export file.  Open the file in Excel, copy the values from the "Position" column" into the "Job Title" column, and then import that file.  Make sure that the Job Titles are accurate in the CSV, because importing the new values will overwrite any current Job Titles in the CRM.  In this case, there won't be any surprises because by including the "Job Title" column in the CSV, you'll see any current values and can choose to not copy the "Position" value for certain contacts.

Once the values are added to Job Title, you can delete the contact property "Position".

I hope this helps!

Brett

tmurtha
Membre

Merge properties

Résolue

Hi, sorry to be dense, but this sounds like you're importing a contact that already exists in the system. How does the system handle imports that match existing contacts (that's based on having the same email?)? Does it duplicate contacts, just replace information in the existing contact with anything different in the CSV, or create an entire new contact (possibly losing tracked history with the contact)?  I have the merge properties problem, and I'd like to import new properties on existing contacts, and wonder if I can solve both problems with your suggestion.

Thanks for your help!

0 Votes
meagherman
Membre

Merge properties

Résolue

Merging cells would be a great feature.  I too have Titles and Job Titles to combine.  I'll do work around but maybe you guys could offer that feature in the future.