CRM

KSergieva11
Participant

Marketing & Non-Marketing Contacts

SOLVE

Hello everyone!

Could you share your best practices on setting Marketing Status to your contacts?

I am looking to find a way to set the high value contacts only as marketing contacts - we don't send out the majority of our marketing communication via HubSpot so I don't see the point of having many marketing contacts and we are currently at 85%. 

PS Question: Do we need to set contacts as Marketing Contacts if they are used in sequences and when sales send emails via hubspot?

Thank you all!

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

@KSergieva11 wrote:

We don't have the nurturing flow in HubSpot - we do have some separate flows and we have done your suggestion to set them as marketing in the beginning and then non-marketing at the end. My only concern is that Non-marketing status updates once per month and, therefore, this approach sometimes limits us to add set bigger batches of contacts in the flows. 

That's exactly the intention behind the marketing contact status management however - if your volume peaks, HubSpot will charge you for that. I don't think there's a way around that, aside from anticipating those peaks and working your way around that.

@KSergieva11 wrote:

Another thing that popped into my mind is to set all contacts to non-marketing with the update on the 1st of May and then the flows will do their job to set only the contacts that go into those flows to marketing contacts. However, this action seems very aggressive and I am not sure if it will work properly...

This would work if you make sure that all touchpoints that require marketing contact status also set it. For example, all forms should be setting contacts as marketing, all workflows should be setting contacts as marketing, all marketers would have to be trained to mark all contacts on a recipient list as marketing before sending an email.

This can work very well, but requires some checks in advance.

In your situation, it sounds like you're communicating to select customers, so I think this approach makes more sense then trying to identify all the irrelevant contacts.

Best regards!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

View solution in original post

0 Upvotes
5 Replies 5
karstenkoehler
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @KSergieva11,

Marketing contact status is not relevant for sales emails and sequences - so no need to mark them as marketing contacts.

For the marketing communications, how do you determine who should be receiving these? If you have nurturing workflow, for example, you could simply set the status at the beginning of the workflow - and make the rest of the contacts in your portal non-marketing contacts.

The details of an optimized marketing contact status automation depend on how you're determining who's getting marketing emails and who's not.

Best regards!

Karsten Köhler

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

0 Upvotes
AFurey3

SOLVE

Hi! Can you please clarify what you mean by: "Marketing contact status is not relevant for sales emails"? For example, we want to send out sales blasts to our current customers, but we can't unless we manually change everyone to "marketing contact". Is there a way around this? Thanks so much!

0 Upvotes
KSergieva11
Participant

SOLVE

Hi @karstenkoehler ,

Thank you for the fast response - as always your replies are very helpful!

We don't have the nurturing flow in HubSpot - we do have some separate flows and we have done your suggestion to set them as marketing in the beginning and then non-marketing at the end. My only concern is that Non-marketing status updates once per month and, therefore, this approach sometimes limits us to add set bigger batches of contacts in the flows. 

Another thing that popped into my mind is to set all contacts to non-marketing with the update on the 1st of May and then the flows will do their job to set only the contacts that go into those flows to marketing contacts. However, this action seems very aggressive and I am not sure if it will work properly...

0 Upvotes
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

@KSergieva11 wrote:

That's exactly the intention behind the marketing contact status management however - if your volume peaks, HubSpot will charge you for that. I don't think there's a way around that, aside from anticipating those peaks and working your way around that.

@KSergieva11 wrote:

This would work if you make sure that all touchpoints that require marketing contact status also set it. For example, all forms should be setting contacts as marketing, all workflows should be setting contacts as marketing, all marketers would have to be trained to mark all contacts on a recipient list as marketing before sending an email.

This can work very well, but requires some checks in advance.

In your situation, it sounds like you're communicating to select customers, so I think this approach makes more sense then trying to identify all the irrelevant contacts.

Best regards!

Karsten Köhler

0 Upvotes
KSergieva11
Participant

SOLVE

Thanks @karstenkoehler , really appreciate your help all the time. Wish you a great day!

0 Upvotes