CRM

TomS
Participant

Mandatory properties on Deals get skipped when creating a deal

SOLVE

Hi all,

We're making use of mandatory questions/properties when moving deals through the deal stages (see screenshot for the overview).

Screenshot 2019-02-11 at 15.37.15.png

Unfortunately, when creating a deal AND putting it to Won straight away, the mandatory questions won't pop-up.

We're missing a lot of data on deals that are created and set to Won straight away because of it.

Would be very nice to have the option to still ask for those questions/properties

2 Accepted solutions
MFrankJohnson
Solution
Thought Leader

SOLVE

Got it. As indicated earlier, item #2 is intended behavior.

- see image

HubSpot Deal Pipeline With Required PropertiesHubSpot Deal Pipeline With Required Properties

Item #3 is definitely a HubSpot support issue.

Note: Please search for recent posts as HubSpot evolves to be the #1 CRM platform of choice world-wide.

Hope that helps.

Be well,
Frank

www.mfrankjohnson.com

View solution in original post

MFrankJohnson
Solution
Thought Leader

SOLVE

Just wanted to make this thread complete, so ...

Managing required HubSpot properties at deal creation time is controlled by the following Deal settings.

- see imageHubSpot Deal Creation SettingsHubSpot Deal Creation Settings

Once on the next screen, Pro users are able to set specific properties to 'required' status.

- see imageHubSpot Deal Properties (at creation time)HubSpot Deal Properties (at creation time)

Note: Please search for recent posts as HubSpot evolves to be the #1 CRM platform of choice world-wide.

Hope that helps.

Be well,
Frank

www.mfrankjohnson.com

View solution in original post

19 Replies 19
JKrantz
Contributor

SOLVE

how is this not solved? this seems to be CRM 101- having gates up for your reps before they can move forward. 

0 Upvotes
mcclured
Participant

SOLVE

100% agree. 

Upvote my related idea that would solve this and provide a lot of other flexibility to enforce stage advancement criteria:

https://community.hubspot.com/t5/HubSpot-Ideas/Logical-criteria-that-restrict-moving-deals-between-s...

PamCotton
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Thank you for creating this idea @mcclured, upvoted!

Kindly,

Pam

Você sabia que a Comunidade está disponível em outros idiomas?
Participe de conversas regionais, alterando suas configurações de idioma !

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by changing your language settings !

0 Upvotes
AliHaddani
Participant

SOLVE

Is it possible to remove the deal stage property in the deal creation form so it picks up the first stage by default?

TiphaineCuisset
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hi @AliHaddani 

Thank you for reaching out. 

This is not something possible at this stage, I'd recommend posting an Idea in our Ideas Forum regarding this. That way other users can upvote it; and the Product Team regularly monitors the Forum

Thank you!

Best

Tiphaine

Saviez vous que la Communauté est disponible en français?
Rejoignez les discussions francophones en changeant votre langue dans les paramètres !

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by changing your language settings !

MFrankJohnson
Thought Leader

SOLVE

@TomS, a little clarity is needed.

What are you saying? That new deals immediately set to Closed Won are not requiring ...

-1- Deal source* and Closed Won Reason* ?? (error)

or
-2- ANY 'required' properties from PREVIOUS STAGES? (expected bahavior)

or
-3- ANY 'required' properties? (error)

In the case of item #2, this is expected behavior because the previous stages were never landed on in HubSpot. As such, mandatory deal stage properties need to be added to every subsequent deal stage.

Example:
If we want Deal Description mandatory at the Solution Presented (50%) stage AND closing time, we need to include it as a mandatory field in the Solution Presented stage and ALL SUBSEQUENT STAGES.

That way, any deal created that lands on the Solution Presented (50%) stage or any stage after it will require the data we need.

Good?

Hope that helps.

Be well,
Frank

www.mfrankjohnson.com
BradleyE
Participant

SOLVE

Hi,

I have noticed the same issue when creating deals. When a deal is created, the only "Required Properties" are the ones that are mandatory Hubspot Defaults (Deal Name* and Pipeline*).

When creating a deal, after selecting a deal pipeline and selecting a deal stage, the custom required properties don't even appear for me to enter data! I have to "Create" the deal with these properties empty, and then change the Deal Stage to a different stage, and then back again to the Deal Stage with Required Properties.

This is extremely tedious and frustrating. 

0 Upvotes
jennysowyrda
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hi @BradleyE,

If you look at @MFrankJohnson's second solution, it shows how you can set properties during the deal creation process, including custom properties. 

If you are experiencing something different, can you please share a screenshot/video of what you're seeing? 

Thank you,

Jenny

0 Upvotes
BradleyE
Participant

SOLVE

Hi @jennysowyrda ,

Thank you for your reply. My understanding is that the option outlined by @MFrankJohnson creates a universal required property on all deals. My concern regards required properties that are unique to the deal stage and deal pipeline. 

There are properties that are critical to specific deals but are unnecessary to others. This is where my concern comes into play.

0 Upvotes
achcmdev

SOLVE

is it posible to set obligatory properties on creation per pipeline?

the default properties affect every pipeline thats why it would be better if at creation time requires the obligatory properties of the stage its placed.

0 Upvotes
jennysowyrda
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hi @achcmdev,

Depending on your subscription level, setting properties to update on the pipeline level is possible. 

setting properties to update for one pipelinesetting properties to update for one pipeline

Thank you,
Jenny

0 Upvotes
TomS
Participant

SOLVE

Hi Frank,

Thanks for the quick response!

The required fields (with a * marking) will be skipped for every stage in the funnel, except for the properties that show up when creating a deal. It will also skip the required properties that are on 'Won', so I would guess it's a combination of two and three.

All the best,

Tom.

0 Upvotes
MFrankJohnson
Solution
Thought Leader

SOLVE

Got it. As indicated earlier, item #2 is intended behavior.

- see image

HubSpot Deal Pipeline With Required PropertiesHubSpot Deal Pipeline With Required Properties

Item #3 is definitely a HubSpot support issue.

Hope that helps.

Be well,
Frank

www.mfrankjohnson.com
JKrantz
Contributor

SOLVE

this is not the approprate answer. asking reps to add unnsissary/ addtional info when creating a deal just leads to more work and bad data. most of these requrired fields are further down the pipepine, a rep might not know the answer or just put junk in when creating a deal so they can move on.   

0 Upvotes
MFrankJohnson
Solution
Thought Leader

SOLVE

Just wanted to make this thread complete, so ...

Managing required HubSpot properties at deal creation time is controlled by the following Deal settings.

- see imageHubSpot Deal Creation SettingsHubSpot Deal Creation Settings

Once on the next screen, Pro users are able to set specific properties to 'required' status.

- see imageHubSpot Deal Properties (at creation time)HubSpot Deal Properties (at creation time)

Hope that helps.

Be well,
Frank

www.mfrankjohnson.com
JMP
Participant

SOLVE

@MFrankJohnson @jennysowyrda  I'm not sure these solutions are really solving the initial problem. I have the same issue with "required" properties being skipped at deal creation. 

In my industry we have a lot of information we like to track: labor hours sold, project cost, proposal number, etc. These propertiess are required as a NEW deal moves through the pipeline stages. NONE of these properties would be known with a "NEW" deal. The deal is "NEW": I don't have all the particulars yet, I don't know exactly what the project will entail, I don't have a proposal yet, so I can't have a proposal number...so these properties CANNOT be required when I create a deal...but I can enter the deal into my pipeline in order to track it, remember it, talk about it, manage my sales reps, etc.

Sometimes a deal is NEW and WON on the same day. If upon creating a deal, I set the deal stage to WON, I bypass ALL required fields from ALL the stages except for the create stage. 

To be clear...an example

• IF I create a deal and set the deal stage to WON, I am NOT required to enter in how many labor hours were sold or what the proposal number is.
  • IF I make the "Labor Hours Sold" and "Proposal Number" properties required when creating a deal, I cannot create the deal as I do not have those pieces of information yet. (and our sales reps will just input nonsense in order to create the deal and our data will be false)

A simple suggestion: Remove "Deal Stage" from the default, required properties list when creating a deal. No choice given upon creating a deal. Have it default to the first stage upon creation. Give users the option of adding it to Create Deal. That way, every deal, when created will start at the beginning of the pipeline. In this way, the required properties for each stage will remain required.

Thanks!

MFrankJohnson
Thought Leader

SOLVE

Agreed. Revisited and created a very specific Idea here. Please upvote at your convenience.

Thanks for your patience and to everyone who's contributed to this thread.

Hope that helps.

Be well,
Frank

www.mfrankjohnson.com
0 Upvotes
VagaeNatus
Key Advisor

SOLVE

This feature works fine for making properties mandatory when moving deal stage but apart from moving deal stage, we need to make properties conditionnaly mandatory. If you're interested by that, please help to make the idea popular by voting here: https://community.hubspot.com/t5/HubSpot-Ideas/Conditionally-display-and-or-make-mandatory-propertie...

MFrankJohnson
Thought Leader

SOLVE

>>"This feature works fine for making properties mandatory when moving deal stage but apart from moving deal stage, we need to make properties conditionnaly mandatory."

No, this solution works when MOVING, CREATING, AND CLOSING deals. Conditionally mandatory properties were not asked for or referenced in the original query here.

Good idea -- in the proper context.

Hope that helps.

Be well,
Frank

www.mfrankjohnson.com
0 Upvotes