CRM

MCoughlan6
Participant

Mandatory Fields

SOLVE

Hi all,

I have a question re mandatory fields which I'd appreciate some help with.

What I'm looking to achieve, is that when a deal closes (won), certain fields on the ACCOUNT need to be filled out. 

Is there a way of achieving this? Ideally cannot close deal until completed, like you'd be able to do if the fields were within the DEAL instead of the account.

Thanks in advance

1 Accepted solution
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

Mandatory Fields

SOLVE

Hi @MCoughlan6,

My apologies, I misread that part. In that case, you'll have to set up a workaround. It's not possible to make company properties required directly when moving deals to another stage.

You could set up a clone of the company field on the deal object. When filled, you could use a deal-based workflow to copy the value from deal to company but only if the company field is empty.

This new deal property would be a required property.

If the company property is already filled out, this would mean that there's some double data entry. If that's acceptable for you, you could stop here.

To avoid double data entry, you could set up a company based workflow to copy the value from company to deal once it whenever it becomes known, potentially at the time of deal creation already. To prevent a loop that copies from deal to company to deal to copmany and so, you would have to make sure that the company-based workflow re-enrolls when the company information is known (to copy updated values), but the deal-based workflow only enrolls once.

Let me know if I should draft these workflows or if you're all set.

Best regards!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8
Levi
Top Contributor | Elite Partner
Top Contributor | Elite Partner

Mandatory Fields

SOLVE

Any news on this topic? Required company properties per deal stage would be nice :). 

Bureau Vet

Did my post solve your question? Help the community by marking it as a solution
0 Upvotes
karstenkoehler
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

Mandatory Fields

SOLVE

Hi @MCoughlan6,

Yes, there is. You can find the instructions here: https://knowledge.hubspot.com/crm-deals/set-up-and-customize-your-deal-pipelines-and-deal-stages#to-...

Best regards!

Karsten Köhler

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

MCoughlan6
Participant

Mandatory Fields

SOLVE

Hi @karstenkoehler , sorry if I'm being a bit dense, but I can't see how to do this in that article? It mentioned deal stages within a deal, but not account properties within a deal?

0 Upvotes
karstenkoehler
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

Mandatory Fields

SOLVE

Hi @MCoughlan6,

This is the part I'm referring to:

Customize properties shown in each deal stage

You can also customize which deal properties are presented to users when a deal moves to a specific stage.

• Navigate to the pipeline you want to edit.
  • In the row of a stage, hover over the Update stage properties column and click Edit properties.

• In the dialog box, select the checkboxes next to any new properties you want to appear.

• To require a value for a property, select the checkbox in the Required column (Starter, Professional or Enterprise only). When a property is required, users won’t be able to create a deal in that stage unless they enter a value for that property.

Karsten Köhler

MCoughlan6
Participant

Mandatory Fields

SOLVE

Hi @karstenkoehler , thanks for the clarification. My apologies if I'm being a bit slow again..

I've had a look, and when I edit properties, the only properties I can select are those within DEAL. I'm looking to make ACCOUNT properties mandatory, when people are closing DEALS.

An example may be, a deal is closing, so the salesperson changes the stage to Closed Won. When doing this, a number of mandatory fields are presented that need to be completed before HS will allow the deal to be closed. This works fine.

However we're looking at this stage to somehow make some of the company/account properties (i.e. not the deal properties) mandatory as well as the deal properties.. Maybe postcode, or company owner or something.

Does that make sense?

0 Upvotes
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

Mandatory Fields

SOLVE

Hi @MCoughlan6,

My apologies, I misread that part. In that case, you'll have to set up a workaround. It's not possible to make company properties required directly when moving deals to another stage.

You could set up a clone of the company field on the deal object. When filled, you could use a deal-based workflow to copy the value from deal to company but only if the company field is empty.

This new deal property would be a required property.

If the company property is already filled out, this would mean that there's some double data entry. If that's acceptable for you, you could stop here.

To avoid double data entry, you could set up a company based workflow to copy the value from company to deal once it whenever it becomes known, potentially at the time of deal creation already. To prevent a loop that copies from deal to company to deal to copmany and so, you would have to make sure that the company-based workflow re-enrolls when the company information is known (to copy updated values), but the deal-based workflow only enrolls once.

Let me know if I should draft these workflows or if you're all set.

Best regards!

Karsten Köhler

Ljohnston1
Participant | Gold Partner
Participant | Gold Partner

Mandatory Fields

SOLVE

We were looking to do the same thing for a client. 

MCoughlan6
Participant

Mandatory Fields

SOLVE

Hi @karstenkoehler, thanks again for looking at this. I'll give it a go myself first, but thanks for the offer. I'll try just the duplicate fields to start, and then maybe look at the extra steps you mentioned once this is working.

Thanks again