CRM

tonydegraaf
Participant

Loss of data when importing the same contact on two different lists

SOLVE

Hi Helper,

Let's say that I import "contact A" on a list which contains his email address. And then at a later date I import "contact A" again on another list but this list does not contain his email address. What I have noticed is that on the second import the original email address is deleted because it doesn't exist on the second import. Is there a way to get around this and ensure that the email address from the first import remains?

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
Phil_Vallender
Solution
Most Valuable Member | Diamond Partner

SOLVE

Hi @tonydegraaf 

This shouldn't be happening the way you describe - if you import an existing contact with a blank email value, HubSpot should be creating a duplicate contact record also with a blank email address, rather than removing information from existing records. I recommend checking that. 

The solution is to first export the Unique ID value for the contacts that are already in HubSpot, and use this as your deduplication field when you reupload - this is a checkbox option when picking your import file. 

Hope this helps.

Phil Vallender | HubSpot Website Agency

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2
Phil_Vallender
Solution

SOLVE

Hi @tonydegraaf 

This shouldn't be happening the way you describe - if you import an existing contact with a blank email value, HubSpot should be creating a duplicate contact record also with a blank email address, rather than removing information from existing records. I recommend checking that. 

The solution is to first export the Unique ID value for the contacts that are already in HubSpot, and use this as your deduplication field when you reupload - this is a checkbox option when picking your import file. 

Hope this helps.

Phil Vallender | HubSpot Website Agency
tonydegraaf
Participant

SOLVE

Very helpful. Many thanks. All sorted.

0 Upvotes