CRM

AKilcooley

Linking personalisation tokens

SOLVE

I am writing to contatcs (parents of school children) and would usually use the merge fields <salutation> <last name>. Where we’re missing this info, I had input the default display as <salutation/Parent><last name/,>. In essence, I would like the email to appear either:

Dear Parent

or 

Dear Mr Smith

However, where we don’t have salutation info but do have the last name, we get ‘Parent x’ (i.e. Dear Parent Smith)

Is there a solution to this? I’ve tried messing around with variations but can’t work it out. What feels like it would make sense is if there is info missing in either field, the default (Parent/,) shows. 

Thanks

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @AKilcooley,

There are two ways to approach this. One option would be to split your recipient list in two. List 1 would include all contacts where you have both the salutation and last name information. List 2 would include the rest of the contacts. You can then create two emails. Email 1 uses the personalization tokens as described, email 2 would revert to a more generic saluation.

Option two works the exact same way, only that you don't have to create two emails. It includes smart content and requires Marketing Hub Professional or Enterprise. You would create a smart variation of the text module in your email. The default variation would apply to all contacts where you have the salutation and the last name. The smart variation would apply to all contacts where one of the two is unknown (based on the list created above) and you could change the email body of this smart variation to something generic, "Dear parent" for example.

Best regards!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @AKilcooley,

There are two ways to approach this. One option would be to split your recipient list in two. List 1 would include all contacts where you have both the salutation and last name information. List 2 would include the rest of the contacts. You can then create two emails. Email 1 uses the personalization tokens as described, email 2 would revert to a more generic saluation.

Option two works the exact same way, only that you don't have to create two emails. It includes smart content and requires Marketing Hub Professional or Enterprise. You would create a smart variation of the text module in your email. The default variation would apply to all contacts where you have the salutation and the last name. The smart variation would apply to all contacts where one of the two is unknown (based on the list created above) and you could change the email body of this smart variation to something generic, "Dear parent" for example.

Best regards!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.