CRM

Chris_Cringle
Participant

Linking contacts with associated company fields (post code)

SOLVE

Hi all. 

I'm looking to tie my contact list to their associated companies postal code so here's some background info to explain why I'm trying to do this. Our data journey tends to be company > contact > deal. When we add a company, this would be when we add the company address and associated post code. 

When add a contact we associate this with their company and so don't currently add an address for each of our contacts (maybe we should be though I would assume that you would want to use their company address for post etc). 

I then sync my contact list to Mailchimp via PieSync so it is pretty much seamless however as the contact does not have its own post code, there is nothing currently to link. We are then looking to send postcode targted emails to our contacts and are not able to using this set up so I'm hoping there is a way to link them up. 

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @Chris_Cringle,

It looks like you're using the free CRM which means that the solution will be a manual one (since you don't have access to workflows). I would recommend making it a habit to always maintain the postal code fields in both the company and the contact record.

To keep track of the contacts that you missed, I would build an active list:

postal-list.png

I would also customize the 'About section' in a contact record to include the postal code at the top. When you work through the active list to backfill postal codes, you then wouldn't have to click through to the contact record but could change the postal code right in the preview sidebar (hover over contact in a list, wait for 'Preview' button to appear). Likewise, I would customize the company view (menu > Contacts > Companies) to include a postal code column, for easier access. When back-filling postal codes, you could use one browser window for searching the companies postal codes and and another window for the active list for quick data entry. Still a manual laborious process but the ones with the least amount of clicks and steps I can think of.

On a Professional or Enterprise subscription, the solution would be a workflow like the one below. This would automatically copy the company postal code into the associated contact records.

postal-code.png

Hope this helps!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2
FHacking
Participant

SOLVE

Hi guys,

I read this question differently. I have a number of Contacts in the system that are not related to any company. Is there a way to run a workflow where: IF Postal Codes of a contact and company match they are automatically associated? This would be incredibly helpful. 

0 Upvotes
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @Chris_Cringle,

It looks like you're using the free CRM which means that the solution will be a manual one (since you don't have access to workflows). I would recommend making it a habit to always maintain the postal code fields in both the company and the contact record.

To keep track of the contacts that you missed, I would build an active list:

postal-list.png

I would also customize the 'About section' in a contact record to include the postal code at the top. When you work through the active list to backfill postal codes, you then wouldn't have to click through to the contact record but could change the postal code right in the preview sidebar (hover over contact in a list, wait for 'Preview' button to appear). Likewise, I would customize the company view (menu > Contacts > Companies) to include a postal code column, for easier access. When back-filling postal codes, you could use one browser window for searching the companies postal codes and and another window for the active list for quick data entry. Still a manual laborious process but the ones with the least amount of clicks and steps I can think of.

On a Professional or Enterprise subscription, the solution would be a workflow like the one below. This would automatically copy the company postal code into the associated contact records.

postal-code.png

Hope this helps!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.