CRM

ScottAHWilliams

Let contacts update their contact details (f

SOLVE

Dear Hubspotter, 

My CRM system (free version) has 130+ contacts with contact details such as phone number and current employer. Is there a way how our contacts can update their contact details by themselves? I am a Hubspot noob, hence it would be great if you can provide a step-by-step manual. Smiley Very Happy 
We use typeform to collect contact details but a solution with Hubspot's form would be also ok! 

Thanks a lot and greetings from Germany 

Scott 

1 Accepted solution
MFrankJohnson
Solution
Thought Leader

SOLVE

>>"Is there a way how our contacts can update their contact details by themselves?"

Welcome Scott.

To make this reeeeally easy, just simply create a HubSpot form (with all the contact properties you want updated), then send that form link to your contacts.

Here's an example form link from our dev CRM. Notice, each time you complete the form your details are auto-populated with updated values.

Some values are REQUIRED while others are optional. We did this to emphasize the fact that changes made on this form by visitors will OVERWRITE DATA IN THE CRM. (important)

The method described above is 100% functional, easy, and will readily work in conjunction with other (more complex) methods that involve HubSpot subscriptions.

Note: Please search for recent posts as HubSpot evolves to be the #1 CRM platform of choice world-wide.

Hope that helps.

Be well,
Frank

www.mfrankjohnson.com

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11
bradytraeder
Contributor

SOLVE

I would also appreciate more details and step by step instructions to complete this idea. thanks in advance 

MFrankJohnson
Solution
Thought Leader

SOLVE

>>"Is there a way how our contacts can update their contact details by themselves?"

Welcome Scott.

To make this reeeeally easy, just simply create a HubSpot form (with all the contact properties you want updated), then send that form link to your contacts.

Here's an example form link from our dev CRM. Notice, each time you complete the form your details are auto-populated with updated values.

Some values are REQUIRED while others are optional. We did this to emphasize the fact that changes made on this form by visitors will OVERWRITE DATA IN THE CRM. (important)

The method described above is 100% functional, easy, and will readily work in conjunction with other (more complex) methods that involve HubSpot subscriptions.

Note: Please search for recent posts as HubSpot evolves to be the #1 CRM platform of choice world-wide.

Hope that helps.

Be well,
Frank

www.mfrankjohnson.com
MAnderez

SOLVE

Hi,

Is there an example on the step-by-step to do so?

Thanks,

Melanie

0 Upvotes
daudmohmand

SOLVE

Hello Frank,

How and where can I create this type of form?

0 Upvotes
JosephWa
Participant

SOLVE

Hi,

I tried to use this method. I have sent the link of the form to my contact but when the contact submitted the form, it created a new contact instead of updating the existing one. Notice that email address is not part of the form to prevent contact from entering a different email to the record I have.

How can I make sure the form is submitted to the contact record I am sending the email to?

Glyn
Participant

SOLVE

I am novice here too, but as you say HubSpot relies on the email address to be the contact primary index. So, if you do allow customers (through a form) to update their email address it will create a new contact record. Unfortunately the way HubSpot seems to work does not allow you to avoid this situation. What you can do though is to simply allow the contact to do the update, and then later merge the two contact records. Pick the one with the email you want to keep, then under Actions select Merge, and pick the old contact to bring over any old data. Then you are back to one with the new updated email address. First read more about merge here: Merge records (hubspot.com).

0 Upvotes
jwnesbitt
Contributor

SOLVE

hi, is it possible to also show the existing details that we hold

example case:

We are a wedding photography company and already have details on file (dates, names, venues etc) but sometimes stuff changes, so a month before the wedding, we send an email out asking client to confirm details, but we populate this with the existing details including balance remaining, obviously, i dont want to send an empty form out, it makes us look incompetent at best, or we just never bothered to update their details when we took the booking, so ideally, the form has the existing data with option to update each field.  I tried embedding account date in a form, but that does not work

Jody

ASmyth
Participant

SOLVE

I agree that the response given wasn't helpful. However it turns out that the OP also posted this question here. The response to that was not super helpful as it doesn't describe how to connect the personalization to a form.

MFrankJohnson
Thought Leader

SOLVE

@jwnesbitt
The answer you seek is unrelated to this thread. You'd be best served to ask your question in its own post.

Hope that helps.

Be well,
Frank

www.mfrankjohnson.com
0 Upvotes
jwnesbitt
Contributor

SOLVE

Sorry Frank, I will do that, but failing to see how its "unreleated" both questions are about "updating contact records" which is exactly what i want to do

ScottAHWilliams

SOLVE

Very helpful, thanks a lot @MFrankJohnson !