CRM

JustinPerkinsC
Top Contributor

Lead Scoring Time Period

SOLVE

Good morning folks, one of the things we been leverage more is lead scoring. Something we have been trying to decide is a best-practice time frame for engagement levels. How far back in time have you found best to consider when scoring, or are you breaking things out into further tiers for more recent versus future time? With more recent being weighted more heavily? We just went with a 60 day period for activities but wondering if 90 would be better. Anything further than that I wouldn't really see a value in from a targeted engagement standpoint. 

Thoughts? Appreciate hearing more on what you all been doing.

Justin Perkins
Marketing Operations Manager
JPerkins@contractlogix.com
Contract LogixLinkedin
1 Accepted solution
dianalcont
Solution
Top Contributor | Diamond Partner

Lead Scoring Time Period

SOLVE

Hi @JustinPerkinsC 

I think this depends on the length of the sales cycle - it has to be looked at based on that standard.

Many industries have really long sales cycles that can range from 6 months to 24 months so the activities here might be more spread out. Where something that is a quick sales cycle should be weighted heavily on the short-term.

I typically start with 30, 60, and 90 days paired with how many of the actions I am looking at attributing points to occur (I.e. website visits x amount of page views in x amount of days, number of form fills, etc). As with anything in sales and marketing - nothing should be static and you should be auditing this periodically to make sure that the scoring criteria still makes sense. If you notice that the time period is too long or too short - adjust from there.

You'll know depending on if you have a huge amount of MQLs that fizzle out and aren't really ready OR too few.

Hope that helps!

Diana

Did this post help solve your problem? Help the community and mark it as a solution.
Diana Contreras
Helping B2Bs grow faster with a systematic inbound marketing framework.
HubSpot Diamond Partner BadgeA Diamond Solutions Partner
Book 30 Minutes with Diana »

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2
dianalcont
Solution

Lead Scoring Time Period

SOLVE

Hi @JustinPerkinsC 

I think this depends on the length of the sales cycle - it has to be looked at based on that standard.

Many industries have really long sales cycles that can range from 6 months to 24 months so the activities here might be more spread out. Where something that is a quick sales cycle should be weighted heavily on the short-term.

I typically start with 30, 60, and 90 days paired with how many of the actions I am looking at attributing points to occur (I.e. website visits x amount of page views in x amount of days, number of form fills, etc). As with anything in sales and marketing - nothing should be static and you should be auditing this periodically to make sure that the scoring criteria still makes sense. If you notice that the time period is too long or too short - adjust from there.

You'll know depending on if you have a huge amount of MQLs that fizzle out and aren't really ready OR too few.

Hope that helps!

Diana

Did this post help solve your problem? Help the community and mark it as a solution.
Diana Contreras
Helping B2Bs grow faster with a systematic inbound marketing framework.
HubSpot Diamond Partner BadgeA Diamond Solutions Partner
Book 30 Minutes with Diana »
BWelker

Lead Scoring Time Period

SOLVE

I just came across this post, and it's what I'm working on right now. We want to set scoring based on activity (opens, clicks, submissions, etc.), but also based on recency (less than 90 days, less than 180 days, etc.). 

Do you have examples of how to create a filter based on emails opened within the last 90 days?  I have an example of how to add points within a 90 day period, but then it resets to zero at day 91. That would mean opens that happened on day 85 would not be counted after the reset, and that's not what we're trying to do.

Any direction/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Blaine

0 Upvotes