CRM

katriel
Participant

Is there a way to stop seeing the "Tracking data is not available" error?

SOLVE

I find that tracking emails is invasive and I prefer not to do it to my partners and contacts. I therefore disable tracking for all emails. As a result, all emails I send show up in my activity logs with a repetitive error: "Tracking data is not available for this email. Katriel chose to log this email but not track it."

Is it possible to remove this error altogether? If not, would you please consider this a user suggestion? 

1 Accepted solution
jennysowyrda
Solution
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hi @katriel,

The message you are seeing cannot be modified. Have you disabled the tracking from within the extension? You can choose not to track the emails either by disabling tracking, changing the setting within the extension, or ensuring each email isn't tracked. 

Thank you,
Jenny

View solution in original post

30 Replies 30
MPTatFoodDays
Participant

SOLVE

I'd like to add my voice to those looking to remove the much repeated and overly large message

"Tracking data is not available for this email"

I'd like to see that gone too, thanks.

0 Upvotes
Anonymous
Not applicable

SOLVE

Hi guys,

Any update ??

hugophang_0-1630729261966.png

ZCC
Participant

SOLVE

Hi Flora - any update on this issue?

Thanks

Pippa

Flora
HubSpot Product Team
HubSpot Product Team

SOLVE

Hello all, 

My name is Flora Wang and I'm the Product Manager of the Chrome Extension. Thanks for flagging this - we hear you and we are looking into the banner to make sure this works better for customers who do not want email tracking. I'd love to hear any and all feedback and feel free to reach out to me at flora@hubspot.com. 

Best,
Flora

colucci
Participant

SOLVE

Our company (9 people) just moved from Streak to Hubspot.  Only our two sales people have email tracking enabled.   While overall we all really like Hubspot, this notification is really terrible.  It takes up at least 25% of the space available in the middle section of the Deal window.  AND is serves no purpose.  People who want tracking will notice if it's off and people who don't want it specifically chose to turn it off.

This is not deal killer issue, but it is really annoying.

Thanks,

DK

Nate_NY

SOLVE

Hi Flora, 

New to this fray. Any update on removing this? Appreciate the challenge and time.  Thanks,

CRossi
Participant

SOLVE

Hi Flora, another +1 to remove the banner from every single email. Please. thanks! 

benlucier
Participant

SOLVE

Hi @Flora, happy new year!

In August you committed to the community that you and the team were actively loking into the banner to make sure it works better for those of us that have chosen not to spy on customers using pixel-tracking. 

It's now a new year and several months have passed; I see that Pippa (@ZCC) was looking for an update back in October, but their query was left unanswered.

Is this still a priority for the product team? Any updates you can share?

Thank you,

-Ben

Anonymous
Not applicable

SOLVE

Hi @benlucier! Happy new year to you as well.

My team is currently working on a redesign of the activity timeline that is going to include much less intrusive warning banners as a starting point.

Happy to include you and anyone else on this thread in the Beta for the new, slimmer banners when we get ready to release later in Q1!

CRossi
Participant

SOLVE

Hi Kevin, ideally there would be no banners for this 'feature' since we do not want to use tracking and don't want to be reminded every time (no matter how slim the banner) that we are not using tracking. I'm not sure why Hubspot is being so intractrable on this issue, it is a major reason why we are holding on to upgrade as an organisation. many thanks

RichardG
Contributor

SOLVE

Kevin

Many thanks for the update on this. I am not sure I understand what is going on at Hubspot though. 

There are clearly a large number of users who find this warning banner both intrusive and degrading to the UX (this is one of many threads on the topic). If email tracking is turned off why is the warning there is the first place? The removal of this should not require a redesign of the activity timeline, just a simple flag to turn them off in the admin UI - this should take an experienced developer about 10 minutes to achieve (and a tester 5 days to report on!!!!).

This has been going on for over a year now and is remarkably annoying. Hubspot should do better.

benlucier
Participant

SOLVE

Yeah, at this point I have to agree with you, although it's probably more effort than you've described Richard. 

@Anonymous: appreciate you giving us something. Here's what I heard you communicate:

• a timeline redesign is in the works
  • the redesign will include "less intrusive" and "slimmer" warning banners as a "starting point"
  • Hubspot will release by end of Q1 with a beta test happening before then

As a fan and a customer of Hubspot for years, I have a few thoughts:

• Back in August, after a conversion with Dharmesh over twitter, and he left me with the feeling I'd been heard and understood and that work was going to be done. https://twitter.com/benlucier/status/1297900001717374976?s=20
  • I try not to assume that my issues are everybody's. Us hubspot customers who choose not to spy on their customers and prospects are probably <5% of your base, but I think Hubspot has misjudged the degree to which this banner is a problem for us.
  • My own team is so frustrated that I'm having a hard time getting them to use/rely on Hubspot for customer communications. These banners are literally everywhere. It's not about 'pretty'-- it's literally getting in the way of our workflow and adoption within our company.

I try not to make assumptions, but you can probably appreciate how Hubspot's latest update looks based on the level detail, the lengthy rollout: It's like the conversation with your team just happened yesterday and went something along the lines of "guys, what can we do about this banner warning to get this small, but vocal group of users off my back?"

I'd be fine waiting until end of Q1, but I don't care to see a slimmed down version of an alert for a feature that has been disabled. What's the product angle here-- to serve as a reminder to every user that the feature exists? I can't understand it for the life of me.  I'll be really clear here: I need that banner gone.

...and finally-- you already know this: many email clients (Superhuman, Hey, etc) are outright blocking you. In the future, spy pixels will either be blocked by every decent email client, or there will be privacy laws introduce that prohibit it. 

As I mentioned, I'm a fan and that's why I even care enough to ask for change and share my feelings constructively with the team.  If I weren't a fan, I wouldn't bother trying so hard to change you!

-b

Anonymous
Not applicable

SOLVE

@benlucier @RichardG thank you both for sharing your perspectives on this as well as additional context about the impact it is having on your teams. These conversations are important to help ensure we are building products that align with your needs.

RichardG
Contributor

SOLVE

I know that other people have commented ojn this but this feature is really annoying. We, like others, do not want to track emails sent out to our clients for a multitude of reason.

We are aware of this as a conscious decision and do NOT need to be reminded of it on EVERY email. The message is so big that it overtakes the email itself on the initial view. Clearly this is intentional to promote Hubspot's tracking capabilities but surely there is an easy way to remove this in settings? Users are aware of the capability now after seeing it incessantly for 6 months, surely this can be turned off now?

This would be a much appreciated development if not already in the pipeline

As an aside, I'm not sure why this has been marked as an accepted solution as the solution given does not address the core issue

Pathfinder
Participant

SOLVE

I'm also finding this repetitive message extremely annoying.  It's obscuring my view of each email.  Please give us the ability to acknowledge it ONCE and then REMOVE it from future email.  Thanks.

osilver
Participant

SOLVE

As a long time HS user, I've always disabled tracking. There are several reasons not to track opens/clicks:

1. It's distracting and impossible to ignore the little extension icon - oh, who opened my email just now. 

2. It can affect email deliverablilty, Gmail and Outlook becoming more restrictive to active email accounts over time.

3. As someone said, we respect our clients and don't need or want to track our clients like that.

4. It's super annoying and at least there should be a "don't show me this bs again" button

MelH_82
Participant

SOLVE

I agree. We also don't want to use tracking and find the 'Tracking data is not available for this email' error message on every logged email to be very distracting. The error message is larger and more prominent than the email details. A 'remove and don't see again' option would be great.

gelflex-cc
Key Advisor

SOLVE

@katriel I do not understand? One point of using a CRM is to track email and document opens so one can reach out at the right time. 

Where did you go to stop tracking? 

What browser and plugins are you using? Who is your email client?

0 Upvotes
katriel
Participant

SOLVE

I recognize that secret tracking pixels are a reason one might use a CRM. It's just not my reason for using a CRM. My reason for using a CRM is that so my team can keep track of our relationships with external stakeholders over the long term, especially when there are different people in each relevant stakeholder organization we might be talking to at once. I like to log but not track emails.

I'm using Gmail through an organizational G Suite account. I have the Hubspot Chrome extension. To disable tracking, I click on the HubSpot button in Gmail and the "Log and track settings" link: https://pasteboard.co/IJyOj8P.png

FE
Participant

SOLVE

That message is super annoying. Where's the remove and don't ask me again button? It really degrades the Hubspot UX.