Is there a way to stop seeing the "Tracking data is not available" error?

SOLVE
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

I find that tracking emails is invasive and I prefer not to do it to my partners and contacts. I therefore disable tracking for all emails. As a result, all emails I send show up in my activity logs with a repetitive error: "Tracking data is not available for this email. Katriel chose to log this email but not track it."

Is it possible to remove this error altogether? If not, would you please consider this a user suggestion? 

1 Accepted solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi @katriel,

The message you are seeing cannot be modified. Have you disabled the tracking from within the extension? You can choose not to track the emails either by disabling tracking, changing the setting within the extension, or ensuring each email isn't tracked. 

Thank you,
Jenny

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by changing your language settings !
16 Replies 16
Highlighted
Resident Expert

@katriel I do not understand? One point of using a CRM is to track email and document opens so one can reach out at the right time. 

Where did you go to stop tracking? 

What browser and plugins are you using? Who is your email client?

0 Upvotes
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

I recognize that secret tracking pixels are a reason one might use a CRM. It's just not my reason for using a CRM. My reason for using a CRM is that so my team can keep track of our relationships with external stakeholders over the long term, especially when there are different people in each relevant stakeholder organization we might be talking to at once. I like to log but not track emails.

I'm using Gmail through an organizational G Suite account. I have the Hubspot Chrome extension. To disable tracking, I click on the HubSpot button in Gmail and the "Log and track settings" link: https://pasteboard.co/IJyOj8P.png

Highlighted
Resident Expert

@katriel The extension may be your culprit as it is for logging and tracking.

https://knowledge.hubspot.com/email-tracking/get-started-with-the-hubspot-sales-chrome-extension

0 Upvotes
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

@gelflex-cc , thanks, that seems possible. I scanned through the guide on Troubleshooting the Extension https://knowledge.hubspot.com/email-tracking/troubleshooting-the-hubspot-sales-chrome-extension. Didn't see anything relevant to stopping these error messages showing up.

Is there a different place I should post with a complaint about the extension?

Highlighted
Resident Expert

@katriel It is the design of the extension. You could probably uninstall it and be fine. 

@jennysowyrda anything I missed?

0 Upvotes
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

@gelflex-cc Wouldn't uninstalling the extension stop logging the emails? Ideally I would log every incoming and outgoing email but not track them. I.e., I want HubSpot to record when emails are sent (and what they say) but not when they're opened. 

I'm not expecting it to be currently possible to get what I want, but I would like it to be noted as user feecback. 

Highlighted
Resident Expert

@katriel you might have to test it. Log out of the extension or turn it off temporarily and send a test email.

If the HubSpot Bcc shows up at the bottom of your email, no big deal. 

0 Upvotes
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi @katriel,

The message you are seeing cannot be modified. Have you disabled the tracking from within the extension? You can choose not to track the emails either by disabling tracking, changing the setting within the extension, or ensuring each email isn't tracked. 

Thank you,
Jenny

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by changing your language settings !
Highlighted
Resident Expert

@jennysowyrda Thank you Jenny 🙂

0 Upvotes
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

This is a surprise to me too.

I've seen somebody else mention it, but I'll say it again: *using the single-pixel tracking is viewed by some as unethical and invasive*. For anybody who doesn't feel this way, read this and tell me you still feel the same way about tracking pixels: https://hey.com/spy-trackers/

Although I'm not using the spy pixel, of course, I still want to log emails to my customers. I've disabled tacking within HubSpot for ALL users, and so it feels weird (dumb, actually), that every email says "TRACKING DATA NOT AVAILABLE" when of course it isn't -- I've disabled it. 🙂 

The gmail extension offers two features:

1. logging the email to hubpot AND

2. adding the tracking pixel

I don't why there are recommendations here to remove the gmail integration. Removing the extension will remove the logging capability-- which is important!

What people are asking for here, myself included: is that if pixel tracking is disabled for all my users in the system, then why show that message at all? 

This message is annoying enough for me and my staff and from our perspective it makes an otherwise clean interface look very cluttered. 🤷🏻‍

Anyhoo... I already know the answer why spy pixels will never be disabled and it will probably take strict government legislation that outlaws. So keep the feature... but for those of us who don't believe in spy pixels-- all we're asking for is a clutter-free interface by removing the MASSIVE alert at the top of EVERY. SINGLE. EMAIL. 🤔

0 Upvotes
Highlighted
New Contributor

That message is super annoying. Where's the remove and don't ask me again button? It really degrades the Hubspot UX. 

Highlighted
New Contributor

I agree. We also don't want to use tracking and find the 'Tracking data is not available for this email' error message on every logged email to be very distracting. The error message is larger and more prominent than the email details. A 'remove and don't see again' option would be great.

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

I know that other people have commented ojn this but this feature is really annoying. We, like others, do not want to track emails sent out to our clients for a multitude of reason.

We are aware of this as a conscious decision and do NOT need to be reminded of it on EVERY email. The message is so big that it overtakes the email itself on the initial view. Clearly this is intentional to promote Hubspot's tracking capabilities but surely there is an easy way to remove this in settings? Users are aware of the capability now after seeing it incessantly for 6 months, surely this can be turned off now?

This would be a much appreciated development if not already in the pipeline

As an aside, I'm not sure why this has been marked as an accepted solution as the solution given does not address the core issue

Highlighted

I'm also finding this repetitive message extremely annoying.  It's obscuring my view of each email.  Please give us the ability to acknowledge it ONCE and then REMOVE it from future email.  Thanks.

Highlighted
Visitor

As a long time HS user, I've always disabled tracking. There are several reasons not to track opens/clicks:

1. It's distracting and impossible to ignore the little extension icon - oh, who opened my email just now. 

2. It can affect email deliverablilty, Gmail and Outlook becoming more restrictive to active email accounts over time.

3. As someone said, we respect our clients and don't need or want to track our clients like that.

4. It's super annoying and at least there should be a "don't show me this bs again" button

Highlighted
HubSpot Product Team

Hello all, 

My name is Flora Wang and I'm the Product Manager of the Chrome Extension. Thanks for flagging this - we hear you and we are looking into the banner to make sure this works better for customers who do not want email tracking. I'd love to hear any and all feedback and feel free to reach out to me at flora@hubspot.com. 

Best,
Flora