CRM

DanielK
Participant

Is there a way to prevent my sales reps from deleting notes and activities?

SOLVE

Hi Community,

Can anyone tell me if there is there a way to prevent my sales reps from deleting notes and activities?

Thanks!

1 Accepted solution
MFrankJohnson
Solution
Thought Leader

SOLVE

Q: Is there a way to prevent my sales reps from deleting notes and activities??

Short A: Unfortunately no @DanielK. Currently, there's no built-in (or add-on) HubSpot functionality that will allow this granular level of security.

Longer A:

An alternative solution may be to only allow Sales Reps access to edit contacts, companies that they 'own'. That way, they can only delete notes on contact and company records for which they're responsible.

(see image)

hubspot-crm-permissions-edit-only.png

Note: Please search for recent posts as HubSpot evolves to be the #1 CRM platform of choice world-wide.

Hope that helps.

Be well,
Frank

www.mfrankjohnson.com

View solution in original post

38 Replies 38
coconnorALPS
Participant

SOLVE

Just checking in on this! Ours is very much an info security concern - currently we have everyone dragging and dropping their emails in a file folder program, for compliance/security reasons. It would be awesome if they could use HubSpot email logging feature. However, we'd need a way to ensure all users except Admins couldn't delete emails.

DianaGomez
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hi @coconnorALPS hope you are doing well!

I encourage you to upvote the idea, this way it will have more chances to be implemented in the future.

Best,

Diana

¿Sabías que la Comunidad está disponible en Español?
¡Participa hoy en conversaciones en el idioma de tu preferencia,cambiando el idioma en tus configuraciones!

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by changing your language settings !

0 Upvotes
LColeman0
Participant

SOLVE

Yep - we need this to. In our case, reps even use it to 'play' the system and make it look like they owned a sale before another rep. ANOTHER problem with this is that there is no way to see deletion activity! At least let us see when people delete things!!

0 Upvotes
kvlschaefer
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hi @LColeman0,

Thanks for your feedback. I would recommend posting this feedback to our ideas forum (here). The Ideas Forum is monitored by our Product Team. It's the best place to request features you would like to see in Hubspot. 

Thank you,

Kristen

AThakore8

SOLVE

No way to prevent deleting, but you can back up all activities so they can be retreived. Once the reps know that all their actions are recorded (you can also keep track of which user made the edit or delete), it creates a deterrent.  We use Automate.io and back up all activities (notes, etc) to AWS S3. Good luck!

kvlschaefer
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Thanks for sharing, @AThakore8!

0 Upvotes
VexxaConsulting
Participant

SOLVE

This is so much needed!

We are a consulting company developing solutions to a specific business segment, and we have chosen Hubspot as the main CRM platform to integrate our business solutions.

One of the major flaws we experience when we reach out to customers offering the solution is they always ask if their agents will be able to delete the records.

One of our clients also mentioned that they already used Hubspot, and they found a flaw in the activities design which allows someone to just associate the activity with a random object (contact, deal or ticket) and them disassociate the same activity with it original object. That way the activity is formally not deleted, therefore not visible in the trash bin, and nobody can trace it.

Hubspot should really look into this.

ThiagoF
Contributor

SOLVE

I honestly don't understand why it is so difficult to have such a basic feature. There are probably a great market share awasted just because the system allows important information to be deleted...

AThakore8

SOLVE

This too is a stop gap solution because there is no way to know when the note was deleted and which day's backup I will need to restore from. Therefore, this is a much needed feature in HS. Especially for users in a regulated industry.

AThakore8

SOLVE

YES!!! It works. So do this - Set up your backup with Skyvia. Then if any of the notes/emails go missing, go to the Skyvia backup. Search in Skyvia by Contact ID (last set of digits in the HS URL) to pull up the "Engagements" table. All associated emails and notes appear as engagements. Look at the emails and notes details to locate the one that was whacked. Select it and restore it by choosing "UPDATE". Presto, it re-appears in the Contact activity feed!!! I tested this by whacking a pinned note and re-insering it. If this works for you too, buy me a beer!!! 🙂

0 Upvotes
AThakore8

SOLVE

Guys,

Do a full backup (I can suggest one if you need me to or you can find one by googling). You will always be able to restore the deleted notes.

ThiagoF
Contributor

SOLVE
ThiagoF
Contributor

SOLVE

This is such a important and basic feature for a CRM, specially with Help Desk features.

It would be as simples as a check-box with: "Allow users to delete activities".

It would make Hubspot a much more trustable CRM, because not all the time you (the account manager) want to be checking the trash can, to see what your members have deleted. And also, deleted e-mail records can't be restored at all. The most important of all records. Makes no sense.

0 Upvotes
PamCotton
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hello @ThiagoF there is a new feature that allows changing the user permissions to delete objects as my screenshot below shows more about it.

permissionpermission

I hope this new feature helps.

Kindly,

Pam

Você sabia que a Comunidade está disponível em outros idiomas?
Participe de conversas regionais, alterando suas configurações de idioma !

ThiagoF
Contributor

SOLVE

@PamCotton 

Can you tell us if there is a chance of this ever becoming a feature?

0 Upvotes
ThiagoF
Contributor

SOLVE

Hi @PamCotton , thanks for your comment. However, what this thread is discussing is "activities and engagement" exclusion, like notes, e-mails, calls, that are recorded inside objects (tickets, deals and contacts). There is an "almost there" scenario, where you could set an agent to have only "View" permissions on tickets for example, so they cannot delete any comments or e-mail registered inside. The only issue with that is that the agent won't be able to change ticket status, otherwise would be the perfect solution.

0 Upvotes
PamCotton
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hi @ThiagoF , thank you for providing more information, 

I would highly recommend you to please post this idea at our ideas forum (here).

Our product team, who monitors the forum regularly, can read your specific use case and understand why this would be a useful functionality or change. It also helps other customers facing the same issue to advocate for its implementation on your behalf by upvoting on the thread as well.

Kindly,

Pam

Você sabia que a Comunidade está disponível em outros idiomas?
Participe de conversas regionais, alterando suas configurações de idioma !

Joemil

SOLVE

Hi community,

Do we have any update for this issue?

mcnest
Participant

SOLVE

Agree, any updates? this seems like a small but super important update. Any enterprise-grade platform would require the need to prevent users from deleting a note history

PaulMB

SOLVE

Hi @Anonymous, we are in the same boat from a regulatory point of view. We can't allow an employee/user to potentially remove a file/note/email after making a mistake to cover this up and then months down the line we are left holding the can, especially if they leave. From a legal point of view we need to protect our activities within the system. Have you made any progress?