CRM

CVillegasHak
Participant

Is there a method to Compare user properties using workflows and if not can it be added?

SOLVE

I see numerous posts about this and ideas in the forums. While I know I can develop integrations left and right using the APIs and that there are other 3rd party workflow utilities out. Our users are adamant about using the internal tools and are simply trying to clean up accounts that are assigned to a company when they leave that company and the email is modified.

I found another forums post where the moderator said you can compare the users email domain to a companies domain, but it appears to be hardcoded which isn't useful as it needs to be dynamic.

Basically since they want to use and learn the product themselves I can get them a quarter of the way with a workflow, but the product can't do much in the realm of storing a variable or comparing it as everything appears to be manual. What I'm trying to do is an if statement that says if an contact that's caught by the workflow's email domain matches another companies email domain either email the admins, change the email domain, website url, etc. since the product's workflows cannot ASSIGN at all how would someone handle this with the internal tools from the user base?

3 Accepted solutions
PBaxter
Solution
Contributor

Is there a method to Compare user properties using workflows and if not can it be added?

SOLVE

I have a method for this at least for text properties, using the Ops Hub 'cut' format action

example - I have two email addresses and want to compare them any time that email_2 changes, and then set a property email_matches

email_1

email_2

enrol: email_2 is known (re-enrolment on):

custom format action: cut(email_1, email_2) -> copy the result to a property email_match_interim

if/then action:   

if email_match_interim is unknown, branch 1: set email_matches = true;  none met: set email_matches = false; 

Basically, if the two emails are identical, the cut operation results in a null string which directs the if/then action

View solution in original post

ABeian
Solution
Participant

SOLVE

Thank you very much @PBaxter

I used your concept and replicated it with user type properties and can confirm it works!

In the snap below, the "Deal Owner" is the default HubSpot property.

The "Company Owner" is a custom Deal property copy of the one with the same name from the associated Company.

The result of the "cut" formula is saved into another custom Deal property which is set to be single line text.

Finally, if the lookout property is "known" then it means the two values in the "cut" are not the same, and you can send a notification or continue with the desired action.

ABeian_0-1683642687458.png

I have also tested by changing the two Onwer properties to match, and the automation blanked the lookout property as intended!

Roeland_RS
Solution
Participant

SOLVE

Thanks for this suggestion, it helped me create a required workflow. 

As an addition, I created a workaround so I didn't have to create a 'interim' field to copy the value of the cut() to. 

I added a format action before the (cut) that adds a number to the first property value (email_1), I chose 13371337 (gamer reference) as it should never 'naturally' occur and did not copy this to a property. Refer to this output as Format_1

I then created a format action with the custom cut() where I used the output of the previous format as the first value and then the property to compare it to as the second input, so cut(format_1, email_2). Refer to this output as format_2.

I then used the 'Value equals' branch workflow to determine if the two properties are the same or not, setting the property to check against as the output of format_2, setting branch 1 as value '13371337'. 

This way, if the two properties are the same the value of format_2 should be 13371337 (branch 1), if they are not the same it should be <other characters>13371337 (none met).

I also did some additional data formats before on both properties to make sure the values are likely to have the same format (remove whitespaces ' ' and set everything to upper case).  

8 Replies 8
PBaxter
Solution
Contributor

SOLVE

I have a method for this at least for text properties, using the Ops Hub 'cut' format action

example - I have two email addresses and want to compare them any time that email_2 changes, and then set a property email_matches

email_1

email_2

enrol: email_2 is known (re-enrolment on):

custom format action: cut(email_1, email_2) -> copy the result to a property email_match_interim

if/then action:   

if email_match_interim is unknown, branch 1: set email_matches = true;  none met: set email_matches = false; 

Basically, if the two emails are identical, the cut operation results in a null string which directs the if/then action

Roeland_RS
Solution
Participant

SOLVE

Thanks for this suggestion, it helped me create a required workflow. 

As an addition, I created a workaround so I didn't have to create a 'interim' field to copy the value of the cut() to. 

I added a format action before the (cut) that adds a number to the first property value (email_1), I chose 13371337 (gamer reference) as it should never 'naturally' occur and did not copy this to a property. Refer to this output as Format_1

I then created a format action with the custom cut() where I used the output of the previous format as the first value and then the property to compare it to as the second input, so cut(format_1, email_2). Refer to this output as format_2.

I then used the 'Value equals' branch workflow to determine if the two properties are the same or not, setting the property to check against as the output of format_2, setting branch 1 as value '13371337'. 

This way, if the two properties are the same the value of format_2 should be 13371337 (branch 1), if they are not the same it should be <other characters>13371337 (none met).

I also did some additional data formats before on both properties to make sure the values are likely to have the same format (remove whitespaces ' ' and set everything to upper case).  

ABeian
Solution
Participant

SOLVE

Thank you very much @PBaxter

I used your concept and replicated it with user type properties and can confirm it works!

In the snap below, the "Deal Owner" is the default HubSpot property.

The "Company Owner" is a custom Deal property copy of the one with the same name from the associated Company.

The result of the "cut" formula is saved into another custom Deal property which is set to be single line text.

Finally, if the lookout property is "known" then it means the two values in the "cut" are not the same, and you can send a notification or continue with the desired action.

ABeian_0-1683642687458.png

I have also tested by changing the two Onwer properties to match, and the automation blanked the lookout property as intended!

RHolstein4

SOLVE

This is awesome - do you by any chance have the rest of the screenshot. My workflow is continuing regardless of it it matches or not

0 Upvotes
PBaxter
Contributor

SOLVE

Excellent - good to hear you got it to work

kvlschaefer
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Thank you for sharing, @PBaxter

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by changing your language settings !
0 Upvotes
TiphaineCuisset
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hi @CVillegasHak 

Thank you for reaching out!

This is not possible at that stage to compare properties in workflows, but I'd recommend upvoting this idea that's currently being examined by the Product Team. You can also subscribe to it (Options > Subscribe) to get notifications if the status changes. 

I also want to tag some of our experts to see if they can think of a workaround : @Phil_Vallender @MatthewShepherd @Gonzalo any ideas regarding this? 

Best, 

Tiphaine

Saviez vous que la Communauté est disponible en français?
Rejoignez les discussions francophones en changeant votre langue dans les paramètres !

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by changing your language settings !

GrantCarlile
Top Contributor | Diamond Partner
Top Contributor | Diamond Partner

SOLVE

Well said. Yes please. Agreed.

0 Upvotes