CRM

CUrsu1
Contributor | Elite Partner

Invalid email address - any way to update this field?

My client had a lot of duplicates in the system, in some cases the same person had 2 records one with a valid email and one with a made-up email like johndoe@noemail.com. After deduplicating, merging these records and deleting the secondary fake address the resulting one is still showing the Invalid email address as true. Any way to reset this field? I saw it's not available to be overwritten in bulk changes or workflows. 

Thanks! 

0 Upvotes
3 Replies 3
CUrsu1

Hi there @MiaSrebrnjak ,

the secondary email is not deleted as per the knowledge base - this is ok as some records have valid secondary emails. 

Email: the email address of the primary contact is maintained as the primary email address. The secondary contact's email address will be added as a secondary email address.

I have discovered this behavior recently, so not sure how long it's been going on. Merged hundreds on contacts - I have a list of over 100 with this issue. Some of them with delivered and opened emails.

For merging contacts - we go through the Manage duplicates interface https://app.hubspot.com/duplicates/xxxxx/contacts

thanks.

Corina

0 Upvotes
MiaSrebrnjak
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @CUrsu1,

Thank you for your answer. I had another look at the process of merging contacts and wanted to share additional information that could be helpful in your case. 

When you merge 2 contacts, the following actions are performed: 

screenshot merge.png

The system will automatically save the email address of the contact where you initiated the merge from as the primary email. In the screenshot above, I initiated the merge from the contact record test@gmail, that's why it has automatically been saved as the primary email. 

You can update the primary email manually after the merge, but it's not possible to perform this action in bulk: 

Screenshot 2021-04-16 at 10.15.42.png

I hope this sheds some light on the merging process. 

I would also recommend to get in touch with our support team  that can help you investigate this further in the client's HubSpot account. 

Thank you,

Mia. 

Wusstest du, dass es auch eine DACH-Community gibt?
Nimm an regionalen Unterhaltungen teil, indem du deine Spracheinstellungen änderst

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by
changing your language settings

MiaSrebrnjak
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @CUrsu1,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community. 

After merging contacts, the expected behaviour is that the secondary email address should stay deleted, as described in this Knowledge Base article.

If you're not seeing this on your end, could you please provide the following information:

• Can you tell us how long you've been experiencing this behaviour?
  • Does this happen with all merged contacts with placeholder emails?
  • Which steps are you taking when you merge the contacts? 

It would be great if you could include screenshots so we can investigate further.

Thank you, 

Mia 

Wusstest du, dass es auch eine DACH-Community gibt?
Nimm an regionalen Unterhaltungen teil, indem du deine Spracheinstellungen änderst

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by
changing your language settings