Invalid Emails Not Appearing As Invalid

Highlighted
New Contributor

We've had some submissions come through our website contact forms that contain invalid email addresses. I realize that HubSpot has a validator in place - if I tried to type in example or example@ or @example.com, then it won't work. 

The problem comes in when you've used unusual characters in a valid format. Example: In our case, we got a submission arranged like example/example@example.com, where someone obviously meant to click "." but instead clicked "/". 

HubSpot thinks that's a valid email address. And technically, it could be, according to the internet's rules of email addresses, but no one is actually using that kind of email address. Unless they're a bot/proxy account or in a highly tech-specialized field. 

So how can we filter for "yes, it's a possible inbox, but it's more likely that person made a typo" types of contacts? 

0 Upvotes
6 Replies 6
Community Manager

Hi @thatalexd,

While there is no way to filter down to contacts who have a " / " in their email address, you could filter your contacts down to those who have filled out a form and review them as they fill out the form. 

@Krystina@gelflex-cc@Kaleudia do you have any thoughts for @thatalexd on how to handle these contacts?

Thank you,
Jenny

Did my post help answer your query? Help the Community by marking it as a solution
Top Advisor

@thatalexd 

I agree with @jennysowyrda filtering and reviewing asap is a best practice for forms. If you believe there is a typo, I would want to try the email I thought it was.  What other information is your form asking for? You might be able to check/verify through other sources. 

New Contributor

@jennysowyrda @gelflex-cc Yes, we immediately caught this instance, and yes, we were able to track down the person's correct contact information using the clues provided by the other fields (name, company, etc.), but that doesn't solve the root problem. 

How do we prevent someone from using an unusual (i.e. likely mistyped) email address in the first place? 

From the responses here, it seems there is no way. 

0 Upvotes
Top Advisor

@thatalexd What are you using to create the form? HubSpot or something else?

0 Upvotes
New Contributor

@gelflex-cc Totally normal HubSpot contact form. 

0 Upvotes
Top Contributor | Gold Partner

Hi @thatalexd 

What you can do also, is a list based on the contact property "email", with the filter "contains any of ...". If you save that list you can always identify those who contains in theirs emails "/" or with any other symbol.

Regards!