CRM

NLipson
Participant

Importing while associating contacts with multiple companies

SOLVE

Hubspot's import tool makes it possible to upload a contacts file and a companies file at once and associate contacts with companies using a common column (field).

My question is how can this be done when the reality is that at least some contacts have roles with multiple companies.

One theoretical example would be a PR professional who serves as the spokesperson of several companies and another would be a physician treating patients in both her private clinic and in the hospital that employs her.

How can this be done? I Have created a Google Sheet with contacts, companies and the desired, associated result.

Thanks,
Nathan

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
MiaSrebrnjak
Solution
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

I see, you're working with 2 separate files for Contacts and Companies. I hope I'm reading your Google Sheet correctly! 

In this case, I recommend to do the following: 

• Add the Common field to both files and name it "Record ID" 

Screenshot 2022-08-09 at 15.30.28.png

• Please also make sure that your Contacts file has a unique identifier that will prevent HubSpot from creating multiple contact records. HubSpot uses the email address as a unique identifier for contacts. If you don't have the contacts' email addresses, please consider using placeholder email addresses for the time being, like I did here:

Screenshot 2022-08-09 at 15.34.42.png

• During import, choose the colum "Record ID" as the common column. If you've chosen the Record ID as a common column in this step, you don't need to map it in the next step. 

record Id.png

The imported records should look like this: 

Screenshot 2022-08-09 at 15.27.21.png

Contact record with multiple associated companies: 

Screenshot 2022-08-09 at 15.45.38.png

Cheers
Mia, Community Team

Wusstest du, dass es auch eine DACH-Community gibt?
Nimm an regionalen Unterhaltungen teil, indem du deine Spracheinstellungen änderst

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by
changing your language settings

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5
MiaSrebrnjak
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hi @NLipson,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community!

It's possible to associate contacts with multiple companies via an import: you'd need a separate row for each company, like this: 

Screenshot 2022-08-08 at 17.38.27.png

Please make sure to include the contact's email address in each row; it's used as a unique identifier for contacts in HubSpot - this way HubSpot will know that this is the same contact and won't create multiple contact records. 

The contact record looks like this after the import: 

Screenshot 2022-08-08 at 17.37.39.png 

I hope this helps!

Cheers
Mia, Community Team 

Nimm an regionalen Unterhaltungen teil, indem du deine Spracheinstellungen änderst

NLipson
Participant

SOLVE

Thanks @MiaSrebrnjak!

This gets me closer to what I need. However, what you are suggesting is essentially different than what I am trying to do. Please look at the Google Sheet I attached. It has the base data (companies and contacts) and the desrired state.

Yours,

Nathan

0 Upvotes
MiaSrebrnjak
Solution
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

I see, you're working with 2 separate files for Contacts and Companies. I hope I'm reading your Google Sheet correctly! 

In this case, I recommend to do the following: 

• Add the Common field to both files and name it "Record ID" 

Screenshot 2022-08-09 at 15.30.28.png

• Please also make sure that your Contacts file has a unique identifier that will prevent HubSpot from creating multiple contact records. HubSpot uses the email address as a unique identifier for contacts. If you don't have the contacts' email addresses, please consider using placeholder email addresses for the time being, like I did here:

Screenshot 2022-08-09 at 15.34.42.png

• During import, choose the colum "Record ID" as the common column. If you've chosen the Record ID as a common column in this step, you don't need to map it in the next step. 

record Id.png

The imported records should look like this: 

Screenshot 2022-08-09 at 15.27.21.png

Contact record with multiple associated companies: 

Screenshot 2022-08-09 at 15.45.38.png

Cheers
Mia, Community Team

NLipson
Participant

SOLVE

Thanks, @MiaSrebrnjak!

Worked perfectly! I'd add one small clarification: not mapping means choosing "Don't import data in unmapped column" on the bottom of the mapping step.Screen Shot 2022-08-10 at 11.22.05.png

MiaSrebrnjak
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

That's great, glad to hear that! 🙂 

Have a wonderful day,

Mia, Community team