CRM

BKelly710

Importing parent/children

SOLVE

I have a spreadsheet of 600+ companies I want to import into HubSpot. Some of these are parent/children companies with matching domains. Ie 3M Corporate and 3M Fulfillment Center - different addresses, but same domain. How do I import this so it reflects that and doesn't ignore the children companies?

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
Olivia_Bagnall
Solution
Guide | Platinum Partner
Guide | Platinum Partner

SOLVE

@BKelly710 Happy to help here!

So I am afraid it is not possible to have two companies by the same domain in HubSpot and even if it was I would not advice it. 

What is good though is that we do not have any domain validation so you don't have to import contacts with their accurate domain. This makes it possible to manage franchises and child companies in a kind of round about way. 

You can import the parent company with the real domain and then add an extra top level domain to the children. 

For example: 
KFC HQ = kfc.com
KFC Orlando = kfc.com.ol
KFC Nyw York City = kfc.com.nyc 

The downside of this approach is that if you have automatic contact to company association based on email + domain turned on then all contacts will automatically get associated to the HQ first. In my experience, companies who work with franchises or multiple branches would turn this setting off.

Olivia Bagnall

Inbound Consultant and Project Manager

Baskey

o.bagnall@baskey.eu
www.baskey.eu
Rheingasse 14, 50676 Köln

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1
Olivia_Bagnall
Solution
Guide | Platinum Partner
Guide | Platinum Partner

SOLVE

@BKelly710 Happy to help here!

So I am afraid it is not possible to have two companies by the same domain in HubSpot and even if it was I would not advice it. 

What is good though is that we do not have any domain validation so you don't have to import contacts with their accurate domain. This makes it possible to manage franchises and child companies in a kind of round about way. 

You can import the parent company with the real domain and then add an extra top level domain to the children. 

For example: 
KFC HQ = kfc.com
KFC Orlando = kfc.com.ol
KFC Nyw York City = kfc.com.nyc 

The downside of this approach is that if you have automatic contact to company association based on email + domain turned on then all contacts will automatically get associated to the HQ first. In my experience, companies who work with franchises or multiple branches would turn this setting off.

Olivia Bagnall

Inbound Consultant and Project Manager

Baskey

o.bagnall@baskey.eu
www.baskey.eu
Rheingasse 14, 50676 Köln