CRM

goosx
Participant

Importing companies with associated products

SOLVE

Hi everyone (this is my first question)! I'm trying to move my company from Sugar to HubSpot and I'm finding myself a little bit confused about the best way to import the products that our clients already have. 

For example, Coca-Cola is our client and has the products X, Y and Z already installed (we sold them those products). It's very important to us to be able to segment our clients through the products their own. 

I wanted to know what's the best way to import this data. Is it by creating all our products as properties in Companies and then importing Contacts? Or should I import Contacts first?

Thks!

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
Phil_Vallender
Solution
Most Valuable Member | Diamond Partner

SOLVE
Hi @goosx

You're right, I missed the fact that you already planned to create company properties.

And right again, company dedupe is on domain.

And your process should work great. Make sure the 'associate contacts with companies' setting is on and contacts with the same domain will be connected with the right companies, and products.

Cheers, Phil.
Phil Vallender | HubSpot Website Agency

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5
Nataliia
Participant

SOLVE

Hello, you can try to move the records in automated way. In this case, you can take advantage of the automated migration service Data2CRM to migrate from SugarCRM to HubSpot. The SaaS offers you to move the records effortlessly and privately.

0 Upvotes
Phil_Vallender

SOLVE

Hi @goosx

In my experience, creating products as properties in the HubSpot CRM is an effective way to record past purchases. For one client, we use a multiple checkbox property to record this information. 

One suggestion - depending on the structure of your data, you may find it better to create this as a company property rather than a contact property.

It doesn't really matter if you import the contacts first or together with their product-ownership properties. HubSpot dedupes import based on the contact email address - so as long as your contacts have this, multiple imports are no issue. 

Hope that helps.

goosx
Participant

SOLVE

Hi @Phil_Vallender and thks for your fast response!

I agree and understand what you said but I still have these questions:

1. Regarding your suggestion about creating company properties rather than contact properties, I always talked about that, why do you think I didn't? Maybe I'm missing something (English is not my mother tongue ;)).
  2. The dedup you mention works based on the domain, right? Because in our case I guess that the right thing to do should be:
    1. Create the right product properties in de Company object (I didn't know about the checkbox option, so thks for that!)
    2. Import Companies
    3. Import Contacts and run automagically HubSpot's dedup process

Is this right?

Thks again for your time and help!

0 Upvotes
Phil_Vallender
Solution

SOLVE
Hi @goosx

You're right, I missed the fact that you already planned to create company properties.

And right again, company dedupe is on domain.

And your process should work great. Make sure the 'associate contacts with companies' setting is on and contacts with the same domain will be connected with the right companies, and products.

Cheers, Phil.
bradmin
Key Advisor

SOLVE

As a final step - and you'll want to test this with a small number of records to ensure the import works correctly - is to format the .csv to include the proper format for multipicklist values. 

Brad Mampe, Salesforce Analyst, Fidelity
I'm probably wrong. I may not be right about that.