CRM

Repowering

Importing and identifying duplicates

SOLVE

We're new to HubSpot and are importing contacts from a multitude of sources. We want to "tag" the source and have created a property with our sources as options. 

We know we have duplicated contacts from different sources - will HubSpot COMBINE or OVERWRITE the property when a duplicate is added - i.e. tick "Source A" first time, then add "Source B" next time - leaving sources A and B ticked? 

Thanks, Ben

1 Accepted solution
Phil_Vallender
Solution
Most Valuable Member | Diamond Partner

SOLVE

Hi @Repowering 

If the custom property is a Text String or a Dropdown, HubSpot will update the contents of the property if a value is present in it in the import file. If there is no value against a contact, the current value will remain. 

Is is possible to append the values in a multi-checkbox property however: Import data to checkbox properties

If this is not suitable, thrid party services or intergrations might offer a solution. There is an idea thread discussing the issue and some possible solutions, I suggest you vote on it: Update/Overwrite/Append Data Options for Contact Property Fields

Hope this helps.

Phil Vallender | HubSpot Website Agency

View solution in original post

0 Upvotes
2 Replies 2
Phil_Vallender
Solution

SOLVE

Hi @Repowering 

If the custom property is a Text String or a Dropdown, HubSpot will update the contents of the property if a value is present in it in the import file. If there is no value against a contact, the current value will remain. 

Is is possible to append the values in a multi-checkbox property however: Import data to checkbox properties

If this is not suitable, thrid party services or intergrations might offer a solution. There is an idea thread discussing the issue and some possible solutions, I suggest you vote on it: Update/Overwrite/Append Data Options for Contact Property Fields

Hope this helps.

Phil Vallender | HubSpot Website Agency
0 Upvotes
Repowering

SOLVE

Thanks Phil - so to double check - even if using "checkboxes" for a property - if we upload a duplicated contact with both contacts having different boxes ticked - HubSpot will overwrite the original tick and just leave the latter tick? 

I guess we're left with creating a property for each "source" we're wanting to label/filter against. 

Thanks again, Ben

0 Upvotes