CRM

Mdunlavy
Participant

Importing Questions

SOLVE

Hello,

If I import a list of companies, using name, phone number, a couple of columns of new information (which I will assign to properties), and the company domain,  
Will my import overwrite the Phone number if they are different?
Will my import overwrite any columns of information currently in the CRM but that are not in my import file? For example, I have a property called Notes so that my AM's can backup their notes by downloading an excel file... If my import does NOT have the Notes column, will the Notes info for each company be deleted?

I simply want to mass change phone numbers via import and DO NOT want any other info deleted.

Thanks

2 Accepted solutions
Phil_Vallender
Solution
Most Valuable Member | Diamond Partner

Importing Questions

SOLVE

Hi @Mdunlavy

When you import companies, domain name is used to deduplicate them against exisitng records. 

When an existing record is found - mapped fields in your input file will update/overwrite existing data. 

Feilds that are not in or mapped from your input file will be left untouched. Nothing will be deleted. 

Bascially, it sounds like what you want is exactly what will happen - I recommend doing a small test import first though so that you can see this for yourself.

Hope this helps.

Phil Vallender | HubSpot Website Agency

View solution in original post

Mdunlavy
Solution
Participant

Importing Questions

SOLVE

@edjusten So then my only option other than importing without a domain and then duplicating more than half of our companies would be to delete everything, and import the new file (after downloading the export file as backup of course)?

View solution in original post

0 Upvotes
12 Replies 12
JanaB
Top Contributor

Importing Questions

SOLVE

The workaround to save the notes etc and avoid creating duplicates on import would be to associate imported companies not using a domain name but some other field to match while updating records, such as company ID for example, which should be in the export file you got from HubSpot. This functionality is available in Import2 Wizard tool.

Here is a guide on how to enrich existing data in Hubspot using a third party tool: https:/blog.import2.com/enrich-existing-hubspot-data/

0 Upvotes
youngstr
Participant

Importing Questions

SOLVE

I am trying to figure out if I have companies with multiple locations and contacts associated with each distinctly can I use the redirect url that goes to the specific location or do all urls have to be to the home page only?

KarthikC
Top Contributor

Importing Questions

SOLVE

I too would like to know about the redirect url

0 Upvotes
Mdunlavy
Participant

Importing Questions

SOLVE

People. Come on. The issue is not that there are no 3rd party tools out there to accomplish this task... of course there are.

The issue is that Hubspot touts itself as "A Better Way to Grow" claiming: Marketing, sales, and service software that helps your business grow without compromise. Because “good for the business” should also mean “good for the customer.”

BUT part of growth is having to deal with old data, new business processes, and when this is combined with a database, CRM, what have you, there are columns that need to be added, data to be added in bulk...  Moreover, de-duplication should only ever be done in conjunction with unique IDs.. Hubspot fundamentally lacks this very functionality. It is not good for business..

They need to add this feature for users. To bulk edit and import via unique ID NOT domain name.

Nataliia
Participant

Importing Questions

SOLVE

Hi there, you can contact Data2CRM export regarding the data import. An automated migration service provides you with a number of the beneficial features like modules mapping and a free Demo Migration, as well as moves the records fast and securely.

0 Upvotes
Phil_Vallender
Solution

Importing Questions

SOLVE

Hi @Mdunlavy

When you import companies, domain name is used to deduplicate them against exisitng records. 

When an existing record is found - mapped fields in your input file will update/overwrite existing data. 

Feilds that are not in or mapped from your input file will be left untouched. Nothing will be deleted. 

Bascially, it sounds like what you want is exactly what will happen - I recommend doing a small test import first though so that you can see this for yourself.

Hope this helps.

Phil Vallender | HubSpot Website Agency
Mdunlavy
Participant

Importing Questions

SOLVE

Hey @Phil_Vallender,

So, you certainly answered my previous question completely... But after having thought it through a bit, I may still have a problem...

We have about 700 companies in our CRM.  Prior to me joining the team, no one was managing it or communicating inputting standards. So I have been using an excel version (exported) to clean everything up, get everything in appropriate fields, etc.  Now, if all those companies had domains, then I could just import, it would overwrite the fields I changed and keep everything else the same. BUT, about 65% of our companies, if not more, do not have anything in the domain field. Which, if I am not mistaken, means that if I upload my new file, it will duplicate about 65% of the companies... correct? Especially if I add a temp domain in my import file...

0 Upvotes
edjusten
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

Importing Questions

SOLVE

Hi @Mdunlavy  You are correct. Companies without a domain will not be de-duplicated. It is not advised to add a fake/temp domain as the system will most likely not recognize it.

Ed  

Did my post help answer your query? Help the Community by marking it as a solution
0 Upvotes
Mdunlavy
Solution
Participant

Importing Questions

SOLVE

@edjusten So then my only option other than importing without a domain and then duplicating more than half of our companies would be to delete everything, and import the new file (after downloading the export file as backup of course)?

0 Upvotes
edjusten
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

Importing Questions

SOLVE

Hi @Mdunlavy . That is a good workaround. 

Ed 

Did my post help answer your query? Help the Community by marking it as a solution
Mdunlavy
Participant

Importing Questions

SOLVE

Ed. My workaround is a terrible workaround because we would lose all associated notes/events that have already occured with the companies. 😕   What SHOULD be done is importing by hubspot id.  Those unique identifier for each company.  De-Dupping and Batch Updating should be seperate processes.

0 Upvotes
Mdunlavy
Participant

Importing Questions

SOLVE

Fantastic. Thanks M8!

0 Upvotes