Importing Company's Without Domain Names

Manon1

Hello, 

Our company is evaluating Hubspot CRM and we are having a major issue. We have a list of companies that is very big and we do not want to enter it mannually. 

The list does not contain any Domains, so we want to import the company's without the Domain. I was told I cannot do this without the domain, so this is a big issue for us. I WOULD CALL THIS A BUG in your system and would allow users to import list withouth the domain. We can fill in the blanks mannually if we need to. Also, a lot of our prospects do not have domains. So this really doesn't make sense to our business. Please let me know if this bug can be fixed. We are growing and this CRM is perfect for us other than this issue. 

Thank you,

Manon

21 Replies 21
Phil_Vallender
Most Valuable Member | Elite Partner

Hi @Manon1

You should be fine to import companies without domain name to the CRM, as long as they have a Name property, 

HubSpot uses the domain name as the unique identifier for deduplication of companies. So without it, if there are duplications (companies with the same name) in your data, you may have some duplicates in your CRM to sort out. But sounds like you are happy to do that. 

Detailed info here: How do I import companies to the CRM?

Hope that helps.

Phil Vallender | Inbound marketing for B2B technology companies
Manon

Hello there,

I have followed instructions and had the proper lables and it still wouldn't do the import. Once I had completed the steps it said that I had the same number of errors as I did the number of companies I was trying to import!

Please advise what could be going wrong? Or attach an excel sheet with the proper lables to import without the domain names. I tried both with the name of the company and street address, which is all I have. And the domain name (Left blank), name (For company) then street address and still didn't work.

Thank you,

Manon

0 Upvotes
Manon

Hello help please. I need this imported by tomorow!

0 Upvotes
Phil_Vallender

Hi @Manon

I can't be sure why your import is failing. A couple of things to check:

Do you have any more information on the errors that are being reported? 

Thanks, Phil.

roisinkirby
HubSpot Product Team

Thanks for the troubleshooting tips @Phil_Vallender

@Manon / @Manon (are you the same person?) are you still having trouble? Comment below if so and I'll see if we can get one of our suppor team to assist. 

0 Upvotes
confidentmac
Participant

I have a related question. I imported 250 accounts (companies), including a service rate I'd assigned to some of them. However, the importer failed to parse the numeric portion of the rates, which were input as dollar values (e.g., $100). This surprised me because I'd already coded the custom rate field as a currency number.

Nonetheless, I resaved the file with no dollar signs and repeated the import with just company names and rates. Unfortunately, the tool duplicated my companies since none of them have "domains" or "websites."

Most of my clients are individuals with no company name and many do no have websites. Is there any way to acquire from Hubspot or otherwise use another unique identifier besides a domain name so I can update company data en mass? All of my company names are unique.

0 Upvotes
Mdunlavy
Participant

I have similar "beef" with the hubspot import system

At this point in time, there is no was for us to batch update companies or contacts.
We would need to be able to match records by hubspot id during import if we wanted to batch update without Domain or URL.  It seems hubspot has had a huge oversight in combining the De-Duplication process with the Batch Updating process.  The result? We cannot batch update without domain/url UNLESS we delete our CRM (or records related to the batch import) and then reimport. BUT BE WARNED: This form of batch updating will lose any related information for your companies. The notes, the progress through flows, the record of emails... everything. Gone. (So don't batch update like that)

Possible solutions in order of effectiveness.
1.Find a CRM that seperates the de-dupping process and the batch update process.
2.Manually create temp domain names/urls (not advisable, in general)
3.Sacrifice the related data for the sake of clean data (delete and reimport).

0 Upvotes
FJ
Participant

I am still having this issue. Below are the notifications I am getting. Please can you help because I have a company name and all other details correctly input but it still is refusing to let me upload. 

Screenshot 2020-04-23 at 13.02.29.png

0 Upvotes
PamCotton
Community Manager

Hello @FJ , 

Could you please edit your import column to just "Name" instead of the Company name and see if the error persists? 

Kindly,

Pam

Você sabia que a Comunidade está disponível em outros idiomas?
Participe de conversas regionais, alterando suas configurações de idioma !

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by changing your language settings !

0 Upvotes
FJ
Participant

Hi Pam, 

I did try that but then the company would upload with no company name that I would then have to go in and manually add for all uploads.

I spoke with support about it and they acknowledge it was a clitch that would require a work around or some more work on to fix.

Best,

Fraser

0 Upvotes
MaryS

I am jumping in to this topic too as I can't get my import to go through because of domain name errors: this is one  'Nine Yards Brewing' is not a valid company alternate ID  

why not?  

and every other pub or bar I am trying to import has the same error

So 

I tried adding the Domain name to the email but that didn't work and

I tried adding it to the domain name and that didn't work

Where can I add this domain name and have it work?

Frustrating!

0 Upvotes
jennysowyrda
Community Manager

Hi @MaryS,

The company domain name should be the website domain associated with the company. 

If you are still stuck after importing that information, please let us know.

Thank you,
Jenny

0 Upvotes
Mdunlavy
Participant

While I don't believe the bug @Manon1 described is real, there is one:

Batch updating and De-dupping are identical processes with HubSpot.  This is a massive oversight.  Batch updating should be allowed by matching records according to hubspotID. This composite unique key of Domain/URL is a huge issue.

Gabrielle
Participant

Yah, crazy that this is not possible. It's HS' own record ID and to not be able to match it with an upload makes no sense. I downloaded all of our company records to clean them en mass, including completed new URLs, and would now like to upload them and I can't because it won't match based on the the company record ID. What a huge waste of time and source of a lot of errors.

Mdunlavy
Participant

Indeed, a major oversight.

Hubspot, Why haven't you fixed this yet?

Literally ALL your competitors have this feature. This is silly. You can do it! We believe in you! 

Sam_STN
Participant

Just ran into this exact same issue myself. I did a mass export, made bulk edits, and now I can't import without duplicating because the majority of my companies don't have domain names... Any updates on using the Company ID? What is the point of the Company ID?

Mdunlavy
Participant

Nope... Sorry @Sam_STN Hubspot still has not provided a solution to this as far as I know...

Whoever thought it was a good idea to restrict record matching by Domain Name was wrong... they should fix this. It is an unreasonable expectation that every company has a domain name.

Phil_Vallender

Hi @Sam_STN

You probably already know this, and it doesn't negate the issue, but you can do bulk edits directly in HubSpot: Bulk edit records

Also, I think there is a good argument for HubSpot supporting the import of companies without domains, so I recommend you post that over in the ideas forum.

UPDATE: This thread is getting some new activity so I just wanted to update this with the information that HubSpot does now support import deduplication using object ID. So, if you've exported records from HubSpot to make changes, or to match up to a new file, the unique ID for each company can be used to dedupe. More info here: Deduplicate contacts, companies, deals, tickets, or product by object ID

0 Upvotes
spk1212
Contributor

Jeez, I literally just typed this myself.  Dumbfounding.

Matching by domain names and deduping is a really bad way to do it and does not work for the most basic tasks of list management.  What if I have multiple company locations with the same web address?  What if my clients don't have web addresses?

It seems really silly that the system assigns a unique company ID, I can export this ID as part of the company file in CSV, then make my changes to the CSV file en masse, but I cannot re-upload the file to match against that unique identifier?  That is headshakingly silly and would take about 4 hours of code to fix.

I can't believe I actually have to suggest this, but could you please enhance the upload process so it can append/ammend data to existing accounts based the unique company ID that the system generates?

ashley_milne
Top Contributor

@Manon1

Hi everyone - I'll post here since this is where most of the discussion is happening, but I've also posted in the duplicate thread here (https://community.hubspot.com/t5/Contacts-Companies-Deals/Updating-Company-Records-via-CSV/m-p/19962...

You can use Import2 Wizard to bulk-update company records using the company ID (same for contacts & deals as well).

There's a guide with the exact steps for a company field update covered here: https://community.import2.com/t/regularly-update-our-hubspot-company-data-from-external-sources-that...

I hope this helps! 

Groovercorp

I've read tons of forums and watched all sorts of youtube videos and I think I'm becoming MORE confused...  

I think my answer might be in the last link that Manon1 posted, but I get an error - the page won't load.

I only have about 1000 contacts to import right now but I'd guess over half of them don't have domain names and only a quarter of them have email addresses (yahoo, gmail and even aol are the "norm").  These are main street privately owned businesses.

If I am reading this correctly the work around is to get a 3rd party software?  Is there an updated step by step guide somewhere?

I don't even know if I need to have seperate companies to associate to - I'd be happy if I could just see the company name shown on the contact and not even worry about a separate parent company.  As it stands, only my contacts that have a domain name show a company name.  The rest are just blank as if there is no company name (even though I have a column that lists the company name).

0 Upvotes