Import to update Company Properties

Highlighted
New Contributor

Looking for some import advice. I need to populate a Company property for existing Company records. The property data to import to individual company records is not indexed to Company ID, but could be indexed to company name, employee counts or other data. Hubspot import doesn't reveal any of these as 'match' indexes as far as I can tell. Any advice out there?  

Much thanks!

0 Upvotes
10 Replies 10
Highlighted
Resident Expert

@Gummy Are you able to export the current file to obtain the id HubSpot provided to a company and use that to update appropriately?

Highlighted
New Contributor

Yes, I can get the Company ID via export but the import file doesn't have this. I'd have to manually paste them in and I'd rather find an easier method, such as by indexing to company name. Thanks!

0 Upvotes
Highlighted
Resident Expert

@Gummy you need a unique identifier.  How about the website?

Highlighted
New Contributor

I don't have website in the import file. The matching unique identifier is company name. I think my problem is being able to instruct Hubspot import to use this as the identifier. I can't see how to do this.

0 Upvotes
Highlighted
Resident Expert

@Gummy Hubspot does not consider a company name to be a unique identifier. 

Highlighted
New Contributor

Hmmm. Can I generalize this to mean that customers cannot define their own unique keys for importing? I'd prefer to use unique properties of my choice, so long as they are unique, which company name is in my data.  

0 Upvotes
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor | Partner

Hi @Gummy 

The solution proposed by @gelflex-cc to export companies in order to have their id can be very quick and easy.

If your export includes a company name column you could sort it from A to Z and then you could sort your import file from A to Z as well.

Afterward, you just have to copy your new property column besides the other columns in your export file.

Finally, you import your "export" file.

Ta-dam

Louis Chaussé

CEO

Auxilio

lchausse@auxilio.io
auxilio.io
Schedule a call
Highlighted
Resident Expert

@Gummy yes that is correct you can net set your own unique identifiers

0 Upvotes
Highlighted
New Contributor

louischaussel describes a work-around which is fine, but not ideal as it requires external manipulations and joins.

I'm not clear yet if I can import a file to update company records based on company-property matches of my choice so long as the matching properties are unique. The last message indicates yes "correct you can net set your own unique identifiers", but you'd previously said that company name is not considered a unique identifier in Hubspot. Sorry, maybe I'm just slow. I don't yet understand how to select the unique indexing properties within the Hubspot import utility. Thank you for your patience with me.

0 Upvotes
Highlighted
Resident Expert

@Gummy  sorry  "correct you can NOT set your own unique identifiers". I can ot find the article I am looking for, however, the dedupe article list what can be matched. 

https://knowledge.hubspot.com/contacts/deduplication-of-contacts-companies-deals-tickets

0 Upvotes