CRM

tmurtha
Miembro

Import properties for existing contacts

resolver

Hi, I have new information that I would like to import for several hundred contacts. Can I import properties into existing contacts? I assume if it matches by email, the CRM will recognize that it's the same as an existing contact? Or will it create a duplicate contact? When I've accidentally imported the same contact before, it seems to duplicate.  If it writes over the existing contact, will it write over the history?

Thanks for your help!

Todd

0 Me gusta
1 Soluciones aceptada
bradmin
Solución
Asesor destacado

resolver

Hi, @tmurtha. Email is used as the unique identifier on imports - check this help article for more information. 

In your import, simply passing a value in your .csv will overwrite whatever existed on the contact. Leaving a value blank on the import won't do anything. This will allow you to control which values get updated, versus which ones you want to leave alone.

These updates only occur if the email is an exact match with contacts in HubSpot. If your .csv contains any unique addresses, those will be created as new contacts. You may want to start with a list export from HubSpot first, as a result. 

Brad Mampe, Salesforce Analyst, Fidelity
I'm probably wrong. I may not be right about that.

Ver la solución en mensaje original publicado

0 Me gusta
2 Respuestas 2
JanaBand
Participante

resolver

Answering your questions:

Can I import properties into existing contacts? > yes, you can do it uploading a CSV file containing the data in columns with the field names you want to update on contacts.

I assume if it matches by email, the CRM will recognize that it's the same as an existing contact?   Yes, Hubspot uses email as the unique identifier on imports and if it matches between Hubspot and CSV it recognizes it as an existing contact and does not create duplicates. However, that is the only field you can match contacts by default. If you opt for 3rd party tool - such as Import2 Wizard you can match your properties to your contacts by any field, such as “name” or “ID” - or, even by custom fields that you choose.

Will it create a duplicate contact? When I've accidentally imported the same contact before, it seems to duplicate > Hubspot is not allowing two contacts with the same email. If an email does not match it will be imported as a new record. If you don't have emails in your contacts in CSV you can choose to use third-party tool who can use other fields to match so you don't create duplicates to existing contacts.

If it writes over the existing contact, will it write over the history? > If you are matching by email and contact with the same email exists in Hubspot and your file contains info on the fields already existing in Hubspot it will overwrite the data for those fields.

bradmin
Solución
Asesor destacado

resolver

Hi, @tmurtha. Email is used as the unique identifier on imports - check this help article for more information. 

In your import, simply passing a value in your .csv will overwrite whatever existed on the contact. Leaving a value blank on the import won't do anything. This will allow you to control which values get updated, versus which ones you want to leave alone.

These updates only occur if the email is an exact match with contacts in HubSpot. If your .csv contains any unique addresses, those will be created as new contacts. You may want to start with a list export from HubSpot first, as a result. 

Brad Mampe, Salesforce Analyst, Fidelity
I'm probably wrong. I may not be right about that.
0 Me gusta