Hola! ¡Tenemos nuestra Comunidad en Español!

Import Parent Child Relationships for Companies and Contacts...

SOLVE
New Contributor

I have over 500 parent companies each with anywhere from 10 to 500 child companies that I really don't want to set all the realtionships by hand. I also have thousands of contacts that I need to relate to their companies. Please help...

2 Accepted solutions

Accepted Solutions
Community Thought Leader

_hubspot-button-accept-as-solution-gif-v00.gif

Q: Import Parent Child Relationships for Companies and Contacts...?

Short A: You'll want to use a 3rd-party import service to maintain associations while importing from another CRM into HubSpot CRM.

Longer A:

The one we like is Import2 -- awesome service.

UPDATE: The HubSpot API still doesn't support parent/child relationships, so 3rd-party API use will only help you with contact-to-company associations.

Please vote on this functionality as indicated in the comments later in this thread. Thanks for the update markkofman.

UPDATE:

- see [Now Live] 5 Updates to Import You Don’t Want to Miss (1-Aug-2018)

- see [Now Live] Import, Deduplicate, and Search Objects Using Object ID (16-Aug-2018)

- see [HubSpot Connect] - Import2 Wizard Integration (26-Jul-2018)

- see Introducing Parent-Child Relationships in HubSpot CRM (26-Jan-2017)

Always happy to help you build on HubSpot.

Best,
Frank

Remote  B2B Digital Marketing Manager

hubspot-solutions-signature-mfrankjohnson-v05.png

MFrankJohnson.com | Connect on LinkedIn

Find posts quickly ... accept this solution now.

HubSpot Smart Pages

hubspot-solutions-signature-pricing-options-v01.png

Top Contributor

Unfortunately setting parent/child relationship is not yet possible with API. Therefore 3rd party tools would not be able to do it either. 

You can vote for this feature though at https://community.hubspot.com/t5/HubSpot-Ideas/Add-API-to-Manage-Parent-Child-Company-Relationships/...

13 Replies
Occasional Contributor

I am having a similar issue.  I don't understand why I can bulk update any contact field except the associated company.  Associated company is one of the most important contact attributes and a central piece of the HubSpot sales and marketing system.  Given the volume of contacts that would come to the CRM using a freemail domain and the large number of "child" governement organisations that would use a "parent" domain email address, bulk company association seems a fundamental activity.  It is certainly available in other CRMs I have worked with.

New Contributor

Exactlly... I've imported a small group of 100 child companies and their contacts. Now I have to spend the next hour or so to set all of the realtionships. I really hope there's a way to automate this.

0 Upvotes
Occasional Contributor

I have spent considerable time on calls with Hubspot and I actually feel like I am being painful for asking for something that appears to be so fundamental, especially given the importance HubSpot puts on the organisational hierarchy.  I have 8000 contacts and growing, and my only choice is to create an independant hierarchy of fields to segment my contacts into their organisation and parent organisation.  This will be far quicker than manually associating them individually, but I lose any of the company analytics by doing so.  It still makes no sense to me that this is not a priority.  I came across from Zoho and looked at Salesforce, but ultimatey wanted to use 1 platform for my CRM and marketing.  I think I am going to have to abandon that as I just can't justify the resource required to achieve something so basic.  I have even paid for the marketing and sales platforms!!

Regular Contributor

Hey @Swaabi,

We can import these relationships for you and it is not an issue.  Would be happy to help.  You can email me direct at scot@trujay.com and can guide you on some options with our migration tool.

Scot

0 Upvotes
New Contributor

Hi Scot,

Good Day

How do you import parent-child companies? I have 1000+ Parent Company and each has 5 or more child companies. I am currently associating relationship one by one. 

Thanks

0 Upvotes
Regular Contributor

Hi @Rache ! I work with Scot. If you want to reach out to me at jay@trujay.com, I can walk you through our process.

Best,

Jay

0 Upvotes
Community Thought Leader

_hubspot-button-accept-as-solution-gif-v00.gif

Q: Import Parent Child Relationships for Companies and Contacts...?

Short A: You'll want to use a 3rd-party import service to maintain associations while importing from another CRM into HubSpot CRM.

Longer A:

The one we like is Import2 -- awesome service.

UPDATE: The HubSpot API still doesn't support parent/child relationships, so 3rd-party API use will only help you with contact-to-company associations.

Please vote on this functionality as indicated in the comments later in this thread. Thanks for the update markkofman.

UPDATE:

- see [Now Live] 5 Updates to Import You Don’t Want to Miss (1-Aug-2018)

- see [Now Live] Import, Deduplicate, and Search Objects Using Object ID (16-Aug-2018)

- see [HubSpot Connect] - Import2 Wizard Integration (26-Jul-2018)

- see Introducing Parent-Child Relationships in HubSpot CRM (26-Jan-2017)

Always happy to help you build on HubSpot.

Best,
Frank

Remote  B2B Digital Marketing Manager

hubspot-solutions-signature-mfrankjohnson-v05.png

MFrankJohnson.com | Connect on LinkedIn

Find posts quickly ... accept this solution now.

HubSpot Smart Pages

hubspot-solutions-signature-pricing-options-v01.png

Top Contributor

Unfortunately setting parent/child relationship is not yet possible with API. Therefore 3rd party tools would not be able to do it either. 

You can vote for this feature though at https://community.hubspot.com/t5/HubSpot-Ideas/Add-API-to-Manage-Parent-Child-Company-Relationships/...

Regular Contributor

I tried using this 3rd party importer. However, it created duplicate accounts. I tried adding company ID to the Import only to find the 3rd party doesn't use Company IDs. Know of another way? 

Highlighted
Top Contributor

If you have been using Import2 Wizard for the task, please note that it has 2 functions:

- Import, that will always create a new record

- Export, that will update existing records and therefore will not create any duplicated for you. 

And if you reach out to Import2 help, I am sure you will get help with getting this setup correctly to avoid the duplicates

0 Upvotes
Regular Contributor

Hi Carly! We (Trujay / Data2CRM) use the Company ID when doing parent/child imports, so we can easily help you. Feel free to reach me at jay@trujay.com and we can get you squared away quickly.

Warmly,

Jay

0 Upvotes
Regular Contributor

Hi all,

We can help. Please feel free to reach out to me directly (nina@trujay.com) for additional info!

Best,

Nina Hendricks

Founder/VP of Service
Trujay Group

MigrateMyCRM

Regular Contributor

Hey there @DCPS,

We can migrate Parent/Child relationships for you no problem and have done this for many of our customers.  Feel free to reach out to me at scot@trujay.com, would be happy to discuss.

Best, 

Scot

0 Upvotes