CRM

DCPS
Participante

Import Parent Child Relationships for Companies and Contacts...

resolver

I have over 500 parent companies each with anywhere from 10 to 500 child companies that I really don't want to set all the realtionships by hand. I also have thousands of contacts that I need to relate to their companies. Please help...

1 Soluciones aceptada
karstenkoehler
Solución
Miembro del salón de la fama | Partner
Miembro del salón de la fama | Partner

resolver

Hi @DCPS and everyone,

This is now possible via regular import, as per a product update on August 15th. To see the update, open your HubSpot account, click on the account name in the top right corner, followed by Product Updates.

karstenkoehler_0-1660658546384.png

Copied from the announcement:

What is it?

Users can now include the "Parent company" property within a company import file to create parent child associations between companies in bulk.

Why does it matter?

Confidence that you can accurately reflect your business' data in the CRM is key. For many, this means creating parent-child relationships between company records. Today, the only way to create a parent-child relationship is manually on the company record, on a one-by-one basis. This simply doesn't cut it for those who are onboarding on to HubSpot and need to create potentially hundreds of theses associations.

With this update, you will be able to now take this action in bulk by using the imports tool, saving time and energy as you bring your data into HubSpot.

How does it work?

Before creating parent-child company associations via import, make sure that all your parent companies are already within the CRM.

Once all your parent records are in the CRM, find the record ID for your parent companies. You can do this by manually going to each record and searching for Record ID when viewing all properties. Alternatively, you can export a group of companies – the record ID will be the first column found within your import.

Next, create an import file for your child companies. Include a column called "Parent company" and add the record IDs of the corresponding parent companies into this column.

Finally, import this file into HubSpot. Make sure to map the parent company column to the HubSpot property of the same name.

Once your import is complete, you'll have created a parent-child relationship between the records in your import (child companies) and the records identified by the record IDs found within the Parent company column.

Hope this helps!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

Ver la solución en mensaje original publicado

37 Respuestas 37
ScotTrumeter
Participante | Partner nivel Elite

resolver

Hey there @DCPS,

We can migrate Parent/Child relationships for you no problem and have done this for many of our customers.  Feel free to reach out to me at scot@trujay.com, would be happy to discuss.

Best, 

Scot

0 Me gusta
TrujayJay
Colaborador líder | Partner nivel Elite

resolver

Hi all,

We can help. Please feel free to reach out to me directly (jay@trujay.com) for additional info!

Best,

Jay Hendricks

Founder/CCO
Trujay
trujay.com

Trujay | Noah Hendricks
MFrankJohnson
Líder intelectual

resolver

_hubspot-button-accept-as-solution-gif-v00.gif

Q: Import Parent Child Relationships for Companies and Contacts...?

Short A: You'll want to use a 3rd-party import service to maintain associations while importing from another CRM into HubSpot CRM.

Longer A:

The one we like is Import2 -- awesome service.

UPDATE (2019): The HubSpot CRM Associations API now supports parent/child relationships.

UPDATE:

- see [Now Live] 5 Updates to Import You Don’t Want to Miss (1-Aug-2018)

- see [Now Live] Import, Deduplicate, and Search Objects Using Object ID (16-Aug-2018)

- see [HubSpot Connect] - Import2 Wizard Integration (26-Jul-2018)

- see Introducing Parent-Child Relationships in HubSpot CRM (26-Jan-2017)

Note: Please search for recent posts as HubSpot evolves to be the #1 CRM platform of choice world-wide.

Hope that helps.

Be well,
Frank

www.mfrankjohnson.com
Carly_Farlow
Colaborador

resolver

I tried using this 3rd party importer. However, it created duplicate accounts. I tried adding company ID to the Import only to find the 3rd party doesn't use Company IDs. Know of another way? 

TrujayJay

resolver

Hi Carly! We (Trujay / Data2CRM) use the Company ID when doing parent/child imports, so we can easily help you. Feel free to reach me at jay@trujay.com and we can get you squared away quickly.

Warmly,

Jay

Trujay | Noah Hendricks
0 Me gusta
markkofman
Colaborador líder

resolver

If you have been using Import2 Wizard for the task, please note that it has 2 functions:

- Import, that will always create a new record

- Export, that will update existing records and therefore will not create any duplicated for you. 

And if you reach out to Import2 help, I am sure you will get help with getting this setup correctly to avoid the duplicates

0 Me gusta
markkofman
Colaborador líder

resolver

Unfortunately setting parent/child relationship is not yet possible with API. Therefore 3rd party tools would not be able to do it either. 

You can vote for this feature though at https://community.hubspot.com/t5/HubSpot-Ideas/Add-API-to-Manage-Parent-Child-Company-Relationships/...

Swaabi
Colaborador

resolver

I am having a similar issue.  I don't understand why I can bulk update any contact field except the associated company.  Associated company is one of the most important contact attributes and a central piece of the HubSpot sales and marketing system.  Given the volume of contacts that would come to the CRM using a freemail domain and the large number of "child" governement organisations that would use a "parent" domain email address, bulk company association seems a fundamental activity.  It is certainly available in other CRMs I have worked with.

DCPS
Participante

resolver

Exactlly... I've imported a small group of 100 child companies and their contacts. Now I have to spend the next hour or so to set all of the realtionships. I really hope there's a way to automate this.

Swaabi
Colaborador

resolver

I have spent considerable time on calls with Hubspot and I actually feel like I am being painful for asking for something that appears to be so fundamental, especially given the importance HubSpot puts on the organisational hierarchy.  I have 8000 contacts and growing, and my only choice is to create an independant hierarchy of fields to segment my contacts into their organisation and parent organisation.  This will be far quicker than manually associating them individually, but I lose any of the company analytics by doing so.  It still makes no sense to me that this is not a priority.  I came across from Zoho and looked at Salesforce, but ultimatey wanted to use 1 platform for my CRM and marketing.  I think I am going to have to abandon that as I just can't justify the resource required to achieve something so basic.  I have even paid for the marketing and sales platforms!!

ScotTrumeter

resolver

Hey @Swaabi,

We can import these relationships for you and it is not an issue.  Would be happy to help.  You can email me direct at scot@trujay.com and can guide you on some options with our migration tool.

Scot

0 Me gusta
Rache
Miembro

resolver

Hi Scot,

Good Day

How do you import parent-child companies? I have 1000+ Parent Company and each has 5 or more child companies. I am currently associating relationship one by one. 

Thanks

TrujayJay

resolver

Hi @Rache ! I work with Scot. If you want to reach out to me at jay@trujay.com, I can walk you through our process.

Best,

Jay

Trujay | Noah Hendricks
0 Me gusta
DDavis13
Participante

resolver

@TrujayJay I'm having issues with parent/child relationships not coming over from SalesForce, is this something that has been resolved and maybe I am just missing a setting somewhere?

0 Me gusta
TrujayJay

resolver

@DDavis13 Are you referring to using the HS <> SFDC sync to bring parent/child relationships across? If so, this unfortunately isn't a function available in the sync. We could do it as a one-time import, but we're not able to sync it continuously. What is your use case?

Trujay | Noah Hendricks
0 Me gusta
DDavis13
Participante

resolver

@TrujayJay yes we are trying to move files from SFDC to HS. I was able to move the over 5600 accounts (companies) over but the relationships didn't come over. So if there is a way to do this that would be easier than me going into each of them manually.

0 Me gusta
TrujayJay

resolver

@DDavis13 Yes, there's a much easier way! Shoot me an email at jay@trujay.com and we can get this sorted for you.

Trujay | Noah Hendricks
0 Me gusta