CRM

a1valettrash

Import Company Records (Same URL)

SOLVE

I need bulk import company records. The problem is many company records have the same URL address but are different companies. (Apartment complexes with the same management company for example).

I need the import list to update records that are currently in the system as well as add the ones that are not already in HubSpot.

Example: I upload 1,000 company records. 500 of the company records already exist in our system, so I need it to update those records with the new imported information. The other 500 are not in HubSpot, so I need it to make 500 new company records.

So my question is, How do I bulk import company records with the same URL so it overwrites old records and adds new records? 

Already Tried:

1. Deleting URL field on the bulk upload (This just makes a new record and doesn't update previous ones)

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @a1valettrash,

HubSpot uses the Company domain name as a unique identifier, but there's a second identifier, the Company ID. Each record in HubSpot gets an ID, when you export your records, the ID should appear in the first column of the export file. When you re-import a file and keep this Company ID column, you can tell HubSpot to update existing records based on this ID.

karstenkoehler_0-1620188870716.png

When you check this box but the Company ID is empty for some records in your import file, this will result in an error.

For your, that means the following:

Existing company records are best updated by first exporting company records with the company ID and then updating this export file with your new information – either manually or using VLOOKUP.

All remaining company records (previously not in your CRM) should be split in two imports – all records with unique Company domain names (these will be imported with the Company domain name) and all records who share a Company domain name (these would be imported without Company domain name so that HubSpot creates separate records).

I know that this is not a nice process but I believe it's currently the best option.

(Also keep in mind that HubSpot will not be able to associate companies with contacts at all if they're missing a Company domain name. If this association is not established during import, it would have to be established manually after the import.)

Hope this helps!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @a1valettrash,

HubSpot uses the Company domain name as a unique identifier, but there's a second identifier, the Company ID. Each record in HubSpot gets an ID, when you export your records, the ID should appear in the first column of the export file. When you re-import a file and keep this Company ID column, you can tell HubSpot to update existing records based on this ID.

karstenkoehler_0-1620188870716.png

When you check this box but the Company ID is empty for some records in your import file, this will result in an error.

For your, that means the following:

Existing company records are best updated by first exporting company records with the company ID and then updating this export file with your new information – either manually or using VLOOKUP.

All remaining company records (previously not in your CRM) should be split in two imports – all records with unique Company domain names (these will be imported with the Company domain name) and all records who share a Company domain name (these would be imported without Company domain name so that HubSpot creates separate records).

I know that this is not a nice process but I believe it's currently the best option.

(Also keep in mind that HubSpot will not be able to associate companies with contacts at all if they're missing a Company domain name. If this association is not established during import, it would have to be established manually after the import.)

Hope this helps!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

EmmaWashington
Top Contributor

SOLVE

Following, because I would love to know how to do this too.