If I merge contacts in Salesforce will the corresponding Hubspot contacts merge also?

New Contributor

Hi HS Community.

I'm in the process of deduping and merging contacts for SalesForce CRM. My question is what impact will that have on the corresponding contacts within Hubspot. Will those contacts follow suit and merge those contacts automatically when I merge in salesforce?

Thanks in advance for your help.

0 Upvotes
6 Replies 6
Community Manager

Hey @ROKK 

Per this article: "If you clean up duplicates in Salesforce by merging leads or merging contacts, choose the lead or contact record that is currently syncing with HubSpot as the master record. To identify which Salesforce record is syncing with HubSpot, navigate to the HubSpot contact record. In the left panel, About this contact card, click View all properties. Search for the Salesforce Lead ID or Salesforce Contact ID property, then note the value. In Salesforce, identify the lead or contact record with that record ID."

I am sure one of our experts and Top contributors can advise you about this case. 

Hey @bradmin do you have any thoughts about @ROKK question? Anything else you would like to add?

Thank you

Sharon 

0 Upvotes
Esteemed Advisor
I'd also check for nonmatching emails prior to the merge (if applicable), update the Salesforce records to match the desired record's value, then resync prior to merging. This use case can require untangling of HubSpot contacts post-merge, if the emails differ. It's easier if you resolve mismatches up front.

Brad Mampe, Salesforce Analyst, Fidelity
I'm probably wrong. I may not be right about that.
New Contributor

What if both contacts are syncing to HS?

0 Upvotes
Esteemed Advisor
Two Salesforce records with different emails would sync to two different HubSpot contacts. If you're planning on merging then in one system, you should do the same in the other. I prefer starting in Salesforce, waiting 15 minutes for the merge to hit HubSpot (the non-master record will have a sync error on it), then merge the HubSpot records afterwards.

0 Upvotes
New Contributor

Got it. I was hoping the two systems would speak to each other better. We use a mass deduplication tool, so no one-off merging is possible.

0 Upvotes
Highlighted
Esteemed Advisor
You could always just delete the nonmaster contact in HubSpot after the merge. Whatever mapped Salesforce fields that get updated after the merge get written to the HubSpot contact syncing to the master record. So as long as there's nothing of value on the nonmaster, you could just delete that instead.