CRM

hannahwhite
Participant

Identifying contacts at specific companies, plus more...

SOLVE

Hey all, 

I'm looking to identify contacts who are associated with a company that's in a specified list of companies. 

i.e. we're working with a sponsor that has a target account list that contains 300 company names and I want to update the 'Sponsor Target Account' property I have set up (it's a multi-select checkbox) to list which sponsors they're associated with. 

There are a few additional things here we're having trouble with - 

1. I'd like to identify all contacts at these 300 companies. Unfortunately, when creating a contact list in HubSpot, you can't paste in a bunch of company names into the filter. As an alternative, we've tried creating the company objects in HubSpot and then looking at the associated contacts, but because of how finicky the domain identifiers are - that's not working either. (i.e. it's common for our CRM instance to have personal emails, etc. associated with their contact so that doesn't help in our situation. We need specific company name objects, not reliant on a domain. For more context here, we know what companies our contacts are at even though we don't necessarily have their work email).

2. When we upload a new list, we'd like to keep the historical sponsors that this contact is associated with 'checked'. For example - 'Hannah White' is a sponsor target for 'Company A'. We've just uploaded Company B's target account list and we also want to checkbox that - without removing the 'Company A' selection. Do the multi-select properties work like that? Or, do I have to include all selects I want to be associated with each contact, with each upload?

In a dream world, I'd just paste the list of 100 companies in a filtered list based on Contact's Company Name, but not possible in HubSpot to my knowledge.

The alternative workflow I'm thinking of is something like - 

1. I have a list of 100 sponsor targets 

2. I upload this list of 100 company names and tell HubSpot 'I want all contacts who are associated with one of these companies to have the sponsor 'Company A' selected in our 'Sponsor Target Account' Property. 

3. A few days later when I have another list of 100 companies, I want to upload those company names, identify the contacts associated and tell HubSpot 'I want all contacts who are associated with one of these companies to have the sponsor 'Company B' selected (and keep 'Company A' selected as well) in our Sponsor Target Account Property'. 

Fingers crossed there's a way to figure this out! The way we're manually doing it is - exporting our contact list, running a VLOOKUP against the target account, and then uploading that matched list and updating the associated 'Sponsor Target Account' property. Right now, each sponsor target account is an individual yes/no property - this will quickly clutter the properties in our CRM if we have to create a new one with each sponsor and don't multi-checkbox a single list. 

Does this make sense? 

Any ideas? Happy to add any clarification here. 

Cheers, 

Hannah

1 Accepted solution
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @hannahwhite,

You should be able to copy multiple values at once into a Company name filter field. First, you need to to put them in one column of a spreadsheet and then fill a second column with semicolons, as shown in the screenshot below:

karstenkoehler_0-1614145643597.png

When you select and copy A1:B4, then paste it into the 'is equal to any of' field in HubSpot, the system should recognize separate values.

Regarding your question on adding values to a multiple checkboxes property during import, this can be done by following the steps explained here: https://knowledge.hubspot.com/crm-setup/import-data-to-checkbox-properties#add-values-to-a-multiple-...

Hope this helps!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2
hannahwhite
Participant

SOLVE

Hey Karsten, 

This is super helpful! I didn't see the semicolon trick anywhere and because that works, I don't even need the additional features. You're awesome!

I actually had a call with someone from support last week who said that wasn't any way to paste a large list into the filter fields - so you're a lifesaver! I was under the impression the pasting values wasn't even possible and then came up with the complicated solution, so you saved us a ton of time/energy. Thank you!

Cheers, 

Hannah

karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @hannahwhite,

You should be able to copy multiple values at once into a Company name filter field. First, you need to to put them in one column of a spreadsheet and then fill a second column with semicolons, as shown in the screenshot below:

karstenkoehler_0-1614145643597.png

When you select and copy A1:B4, then paste it into the 'is equal to any of' field in HubSpot, the system should recognize separate values.

Regarding your question on adding values to a multiple checkboxes property during import, this can be done by following the steps explained here: https://knowledge.hubspot.com/crm-setup/import-data-to-checkbox-properties#add-values-to-a-multiple-...

Hope this helps!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.