CRM

BrianM
Participant

I imported contacts, contact names are their email addresses, how do I fix?

Dear Community,

I am hoping someone can help me fix my contact list. Most of my contacts' names are just their email addresses for some reason, even though I clearly labelled their names NAME before importing. How do I fix this? This program makes everything so difficult. Why on earth would it double up the email addresses???

[grumble]

0 Upvotes
3 Replies 3
billwmartinez
Participant

@BrianM , 

Chat with your administrator if you have one for your org before doing any mass changes is highly recommended. If thats you, the below should help. 

Most likely when you did the import using the import | export you did not map First Name for the First Name and Last Name for the Last Name in your data sheet during the mapping.  There is a mapping wizard before the import that you have to double check to make sure the header columns in your csv | xls file match with the properties in Hubspot for the import. 

Make sure your columns in your sheet say "first name" and "last name" in lower case. 

Possible Solution 1

Hubspot wont allow you to create a duplicate off email addresses.  So if you re-import the contact list and map the first name / last name properly the names will apply to the contacts already in the database on a reimport.  

Possible Solution 2

If you have the reporting module in your org, you can run a report for contacts created during the load and export the data to a csv or xls.  The contact id will show up in your exported report data and you can vlookup email address to your original import to match the Hubspot contact id with the data that has first name and last names using email as your key.  Repeat the import using the Contact id as the unique key and make sure to map first name and last name. 

Possible Solution 3

Most dangerous but I have used before is create a filter to find the contacts you entered in Hubspot erronously and delete the newley incorrecly added contacts from the system.  You can delete them one by one or done with a mass  delete.  Make sure that you only delete the Contacts you do not want in the system as there is no undo here that I am aware of.   https://knowledge.hubspot.com/contacts/create-saved-filters

You will then have to repeat the import again.  

Check out this Knowledge Base Article for imports into Hubspot. https://knowledge.hubspot.com/crm-setup/import-objects

BrianM
Participant

Hi Bill,

So I went through my excel sheet and separated first name from last name. I now have numerous duplicate accounts and no associations to their respective companies. All the contacts I am importing are company owners. How do I fix this? Is there anyone who can log into my account and fix it for me? Nothing I seem to be doing is solving my problem. I could've saved more time by just manually entering each contact within hubspot. Why even offer the import feature? It boggles my mind how issues like this can remain unresolved and unnecessarily complicated for years.

Hoping you can save me from my endlessly frustrating hubspot experiences,

B

0 Upvotes
billwmartinez
Participant

@BrianM your comment sounds interesting.  

When you mention duplicate accounts I am assuming your referencing Contacts and not Companies in your Org.  If you have duplicate contacts they must have different email addresses during the import or the second import would have done an update.   

If your contacts are duplicated and it is mudding up the database, you can add a contact filter using the "create date" of the contacts to remove them from the database.  Using filters you can hone in on the data in your database.

URL on using Hubspot filters https://knowledge.hubspot.com/contacts/create-saved-filters.

Another option would be to use the out of the box deduplication tool. 

The Ultimate Guide to Your New De-duplication Tool in HubSpot URL

https://blog.hubspot.com/customers/the-ultimate-guide-to-your-new-deduplication-tool-hubspot

You did mention company owners in your comment.   On the Company Object there is a property called "Company Owner" which must be a user in your org.  If you put the persons first name and last name in the Excel sheet like "John Jones" then you can bulk update your Companies with the right owner.  I do this by running a report and getting my company ids that need to be updated. 

Stick in there, you will clean up your list and then harvest the power of Hubspot to do what is needed.  

0 Upvotes