CRM

retireup
Participant

I have a dirty secret. (My customers cancel sometimes.)

SOLVE

We run a SaaS business with a recurring subscription model.  For many reasons, sometimes a customer cancels their subscription after a few years.

Does Hubspot have a standard way to handle this?  The Contact Lifecycle Stages don't appear to anticipate this - the best option I see is "Other."  For many reasons - email lists, reporting, referral program, "reawakening" efforts - it's actively bad for them to stay in a customer stage.  

It doesn't make sense to switch the original Deal to a "Closed - Lost" status as they were won and generated revenue for a period of time.  

I know I can set a custom property on the Contact but that's not ideal.  Anyone who's not in-the-know is going to assume "Customer" means Customer.

1 Accepted solution
coreysmith
Solution
Top Contributor | Gold Partner

SOLVE

I think your best bet is a custom property that you set for people that fall into this category. You can even create a workflow to watch that setting so that you can get an email notification. You might consider just calling them "past customer" or "customer 2"

You could even consider a different contact property to signify a difference. For example, we use lead status "unqualified" when we don't want to send emails to someone but we won't want to remove them from our CRM. We just use that as an exclusion list.

--
Corey Smith
Directory of Digital Marketing
corey@intuitivewebsites.com

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2
coreysmith
Solution

SOLVE

I think your best bet is a custom property that you set for people that fall into this category. You can even create a workflow to watch that setting so that you can get an email notification. You might consider just calling them "past customer" or "customer 2"

You could even consider a different contact property to signify a difference. For example, we use lead status "unqualified" when we don't want to send emails to someone but we won't want to remove them from our CRM. We just use that as an exclusion list.

--
Corey Smith
Directory of Digital Marketing
corey@intuitivewebsites.com
retireup
Participant

SOLVE

Thanks Corey.  I take your points - there are ways to work around the gaps - but I was hoping for a "Hubspot knows it has tons of SaaS businesses using their software so it handles it this way" solution.  You seem to have been around the Hubspot block a few times so I'll take your response as this requires a DIY solution.  Thanks!