CRM

SamanthaB
Participant

Hubspot Score calculation

SOLVE

Does anyone know how Hubspot scores are actually calculated? I saved a set of both positive & negative score sets, but the scores I'm seeing for my leads are way off from what I expected (ex: a lead that should have a score of a 40, actually has a score of a -10).

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
Nynke_HM
Solution
Top Contributor | Diamond Partner

SOLVE

Hi @SamanthaB,

Thanks for sharing the doc. This helps!

Based on the info in this one, I would follow your logic and give the contact a score of 50:

- 30 points for the employee property

- 20 for US/Canada 

But I think you have found your own answer! If contacts are added manually (trough import, synch or one-by-one) HubSpot does not have a IP address yet, the score is not calculated because HubSpot can not track activities. Does the same happen with contacts who converted themselves?

I have checked this in our account, and the same is true. Contacts with Offline sources as original source all have a HubSpot score of 0 untill they convert. Contacts who filled out a form themselves, all have scores immediately. 

Another advise I can give you: click at the 'Details' button when hoovering over the HubSpot Score property. Here you are able to see how the score developed in time. Match this with the contacts timeline and you will find out why scores are added or substracted.

Let me know if this has helped you out!

Kind regards,

Nynke

Did my post help answer your query? Help the Community by marking it as a solution

View solution in original post

0 Upvotes
5 Replies 5
JenWallace
Contributor

SOLVE

@Nynke_HM  Is there anyway to use the lead scoring if the contact was created by import?  Not all of our prospects start with a web visit.  so looking for a way to have the lead scoring fire off, even if we don't have an IP address for them

aaronbernard
Participant

SOLVE

Does lead scoring capture activity done before a contacts conversion.

Say they visit webpages but don't fill out a form, 2 weeks later they convert. Can points be attributed from the actions two weeks previous?

0 Upvotes
Nynke_HM

SOLVE

Hi @SamanthaB ,

In general, HubSpot calculates scores for every contact in your database as soon as you publish (changes to) your scoring property. So it will also take activities from the past into account.

One of our best practices regarding lead scoring is to setup every scoring criteria as 'more than' item. For example: 'contact has visited more than 3 pages = 5 points' in stead of 'contact has visited 3 pages = 5 points'. Build up like this, you will be able to work with a maximum score, because there is a limited amout of points HubSpot will give a contact when showing certain behevoir.

Depending on your setup, it will start calculating scores based on your positive and negative point sets. Maybe you could share your lead scoring setup and an anonimized contact's behavior and properties that are calculated? Then I could look into the scoring issue with in your particular case.

Maybe this Academy lesson is helpful for you too: https://academy.hubspot.com/lessons/understanding-hubspot-lead-scoring

Let me know if you want me to look into it further!

Kind regards,

Nynke

Did my post help answer your query? Help the Community by marking it as a solution
SamanthaB
Participant

SOLVE

Hi Nynke!

Here is a copy of the lead scores we have in HS right now: Copy of Lead Scores 

I'm not able to share a contact, but I noticed that a recently created contact should've had a score of 60 and currently has a score of 0. The contact is in the US and has 30-80 employees.   Can a new contact automatically receive a negative score even if they've never engaged with our webpages?

Nynke_HM
Solution

SOLVE

Hi @SamanthaB,

Thanks for sharing the doc. This helps!

Based on the info in this one, I would follow your logic and give the contact a score of 50:

- 30 points for the employee property

- 20 for US/Canada 

But I think you have found your own answer! If contacts are added manually (trough import, synch or one-by-one) HubSpot does not have a IP address yet, the score is not calculated because HubSpot can not track activities. Does the same happen with contacts who converted themselves?

I have checked this in our account, and the same is true. Contacts with Offline sources as original source all have a HubSpot score of 0 untill they convert. Contacts who filled out a form themselves, all have scores immediately. 

Another advise I can give you: click at the 'Details' button when hoovering over the HubSpot Score property. Here you are able to see how the score developed in time. Match this with the contacts timeline and you will find out why scores are added or substracted.

Let me know if this has helped you out!

Kind regards,

Nynke

0 Upvotes