CRM

SueSchmitt

HubSpot and Salesforce Sync

SOLVE

Greetings!  My company uses HubSpot for Marketing and Salesforce for client maintenance.  I am not sure how to correct this issue but what happened is, I had to update some staff people for a company that is already a client.  They just had staff changes.  Unfortunately, this generated a lead in HubSpot and has caused great confusion.  Does anyone know how this can be fixed so I'm not confusing our sales people just because I update a contact person?  

0 Upvotes
3 Accepted solutions
bradmin
Solution
Key Advisor

SOLVE

You'll want to check the auto-add settings for companies and deals, as well - if you had it enabled for contacts, it could've been set up that way on other objects, where edits or creates to any account or opportunity can bring the record to HubSpot. With contacts, auto-add will fire if you are updating or creating a lead or contact with a unique email. 

Also, on a related note, if you have records with duplicate emails in Salesforce, editing a duplicate changes the association on the HubSpot contact, to the newly-edited Salesforce record.

Brad Mampe, Salesforce Analyst, Fidelity
I'm probably wrong. I may not be right about that.

View solution in original post

0 Upvotes
SueSchmitt
Solution

SOLVE

Oh my lots of things to consider when changing anything isn't there?  

0 Upvotes
bradmin
Solution
Key Advisor

SOLVE

Well, the schema's a bit different in HubSpot. You won't have the ability to create custom objects, and the only standard objects are contacts (corresponding to Salesforce lead and contact records), companies (accounts), deals (opportunities), and engagements (tasks). If you're also using the Marketing product, you'll have the ability to write to campaigns via workflows, too. 

In general, using the connector is an exercise in getting the parts of your Salesforce organization which can't talk natively to the connector, into places where it can (if a relationship exists to custom object data, you can create a formula field in Salesforce on a standard object to the custom object, then map that formula field to HubSpot, for example).

If those standard objects are all you need, then the connector should be pretty straightforward. You may also want to review how HubSpot associates contacts and companies natively, in the absence of synced records. 

0 Upvotes
6 Replies 6
SueSchmitt

SOLVE

Yes that's it exactly!  I updated some contacts in Salesforce that we need to work with and it generated "new" leads in HubSpot.  Thank you so much!  I will go to the auto-add in the connector page.  Hopefully this prevents it from  happening again.  

0 Upvotes
bradmin
Solution
Key Advisor

SOLVE

You'll want to check the auto-add settings for companies and deals, as well - if you had it enabled for contacts, it could've been set up that way on other objects, where edits or creates to any account or opportunity can bring the record to HubSpot. With contacts, auto-add will fire if you are updating or creating a lead or contact with a unique email. 

Also, on a related note, if you have records with duplicate emails in Salesforce, editing a duplicate changes the association on the HubSpot contact, to the newly-edited Salesforce record.

0 Upvotes
SueSchmitt
Solution

SOLVE

Oh my lots of things to consider when changing anything isn't there?  

0 Upvotes
bradmin
Solution
Key Advisor

SOLVE

Well, the schema's a bit different in HubSpot. You won't have the ability to create custom objects, and the only standard objects are contacts (corresponding to Salesforce lead and contact records), companies (accounts), deals (opportunities), and engagements (tasks). If you're also using the Marketing product, you'll have the ability to write to campaigns via workflows, too. 

In general, using the connector is an exercise in getting the parts of your Salesforce organization which can't talk natively to the connector, into places where it can (if a relationship exists to custom object data, you can create a formula field in Salesforce on a standard object to the custom object, then map that formula field to HubSpot, for example).

If those standard objects are all you need, then the connector should be pretty straightforward. You may also want to review how HubSpot associates contacts and companies natively, in the absence of synced records. 

0 Upvotes
SueSchmitt

SOLVE

Excellent!  I am transmitting this information to our marketing person so hopefully we get this situation nipped in the bud before more confusion occurs.  

0 Upvotes
bradmin
Key Advisor

SOLVE

Hi, @SueSchmitt. You're saying that creating or updating records in Salesforce (who weren't in HubSpot) created new HubSpot records? If that's what you're experiencing, that's the auto-add functionality of HubSpot's connector for Salesforce, and can be disabled from the connector settings page. 

0 Upvotes