CRM

lpittalis
Participant

How to update contact property without overwriting it

Hallo, 

I've created a custom property with multiple fields . 
When I import contacts and I select the list imported to edit this property, where I want to select the (new) option, updated records with previously selected options loose the selections and they only keep the last one I selected with the new import. 

I think this is a big issue since i loose all of my contact history for a quiet important property (for me). 

8 Replies 8
MAIN
Participant

I've managed to do this by adding a semicolon before the data to be imported. Example, you have a property called "Clothes" and you want to upload a value called "Scarf", I've created an excel with a column "Email" and a column "Clothes", under which I added ";Scarf" for all associated emails.
Once uploaded, the previously entered data under "Clothes" isn't erased. 
Haven't used the contacts ID numbers.

sharonlicari
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for sharing @MAIN 🙂

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by changing your language settings !

0 Upvotes
lpittalis
Participant

That  is exactly what I was scared of: 
I'll have to download the entire database, work on the spreadsheet to customize the checkbox field and then re-upload the database with the correct values. 

Thanks...

0 Upvotes
Phil_Vallender
Most Valuable Member | Diamond Partner
Most Valuable Member | Diamond Partner

Hi @lpittalis 

My understanding is it is possible to append a property on import, but it only works with multi-checkbox format properties: Import data to checkbox properties 

Hope this helps.

Phil Vallender | HubSpot Website Agency
lpittalis
Participant

I've exported the field history and as per what I can see sometingh have been changed by Hubspot: 
I'm the only one who edit records and I'm sure that I've always imported files with contact list that whose field I've edited without changing previous selection. 
Do you have the chance to check it out with who's in charge of new features or problems with bad funcnioning?

Thank a lot!

0 Upvotes
lpittalis
Participant

That  is exactly what I was scared of: 
I'll have to download the entire database, work on the spreadsheet to customize the checkbox field and then re-upload the database with the correct value...

0 Upvotes
StefaniUAT
Key Advisor

Hi @lpittalis,

I had to do this before and it was not as daunting as expected. I created a new custom, multiple checkbox field, and imported information into it. Your import only needs to include the HubSpot ContactID, name of the custom property, and the selections you would like. If you are afraid of doing an import, you can use the mass bulk edit button.

You can create a list or import a list of JUST the contact IDs, which will make a list in HubSpot without updating any information. You can then open the list and checkmark all > Bulk Edit > Custom Property > Selection. 

Alternatively, we have a ticket property group called "FA Checklist", in which we have one section with 15 fields for each document/step required for a student to get fully packaged. You can always create multiple properties and group together as well. 

Best,
Stefani Johnson
Defect and Database Administrator
University of Advancing Technology
uat.edu I Earn Tech Respect
lpittalis
Participant

Thank you for your help. 
I already have a multiple checkbox field, which is the one I massively need to edit for the imported list. 

But when I do that, the field keeps only the last selected check box(es), erasing previous selection. 

0 Upvotes