CRM

kolvera94
Participant

How to track emails to a new Contact and Company within HubSpot?

SOLVE

(4/5/23 Edit: I still have not recieved a solution for this problem, and would appreciate help)

I'm using the email tracking feature from HubSpot and noticed that when sending an email to a brand-new person, HubSpot is only tracking activity for the Contact despite auto-creating both a Contact and Company for the person I am emailing. How do I set things so that when I email a new person, the activity is tracked to both the Contact and the Company within HubSpot?

For example, if I email 20 new people, HubSpot will create 20 new Contacts and 20 new Companies, but the email itself will only log under the 20 Contacts, and the 20 new Companies will appear as having never been contacted, which is the problem I am trying to solve.

1 Accepted solution
kolvera94
Solution
Participant

SOLVE

Hi Chris,

I wanted to circle back and write about a solution I've found, using the HubSpot Sales Office 365 add-in.

1. Install the add-in and connect it to your O365 account, then make sure you're logged in and both accounts are connected.
  2. Open up a new email and add an address that isn't already in your HubSpot CRM.
  3. On the right hand side of your new message there should be a new window that appears with the HubSpot Sales add-in (if not, in the toolbar on the right there should be a button for the add-in labeled "Sales Tools" with the orange HubSpot logo). In this window there will be an area that says "Contact Profile" with a button underneath labeled "+ Add to HubSpot". Click that button and wait a second or two, then click the new button that shows up afterwards now labeled "Open in CRM".
  4. While the page is loading in your browser you can go ahead and start writing your email. Before sending, exit out of the add-in window and then re-open it from the tool bar. The second time the add-in window comes back (and now that your new contact has been added to your HubSpot CRM), there should be a couple of new check boxes labeled "Track email opens" and "Log 0/2 records" under the "Message Tools" area. Check both of those boxes and make sure that the second box now says "Log 2/2 records" - this means that now your email will log to both the Contact and the associated Company pages in HubSpot.
  5. Press send, and you're done! Rinse & repeat for any other new contact emails you have.

This whole process should only take just a few moments. I am not sure how this would work for multiple email addresses or email blasts, but if you are sending individual emails one at a time to new contacts that you want to add to your HubSpot, this is the way I have found that works for me. I hope this helps!

Edit: turns out you don't even need to click "Open in CRM" in Step 3 for this to work, but it's still helpful to do that anyway if you want to add details to your new Contact, such as name, title, etc.

View solution in original post

0 Upvotes
6 Replies 6
kolvera94
Solution
Participant

SOLVE

Hi Chris,

I wanted to circle back and write about a solution I've found, using the HubSpot Sales Office 365 add-in.

1. Install the add-in and connect it to your O365 account, then make sure you're logged in and both accounts are connected.
  2. Open up a new email and add an address that isn't already in your HubSpot CRM.
  3. On the right hand side of your new message there should be a new window that appears with the HubSpot Sales add-in (if not, in the toolbar on the right there should be a button for the add-in labeled "Sales Tools" with the orange HubSpot logo). In this window there will be an area that says "Contact Profile" with a button underneath labeled "+ Add to HubSpot". Click that button and wait a second or two, then click the new button that shows up afterwards now labeled "Open in CRM".
  4. While the page is loading in your browser you can go ahead and start writing your email. Before sending, exit out of the add-in window and then re-open it from the tool bar. The second time the add-in window comes back (and now that your new contact has been added to your HubSpot CRM), there should be a couple of new check boxes labeled "Track email opens" and "Log 0/2 records" under the "Message Tools" area. Check both of those boxes and make sure that the second box now says "Log 2/2 records" - this means that now your email will log to both the Contact and the associated Company pages in HubSpot.
  5. Press send, and you're done! Rinse & repeat for any other new contact emails you have.

This whole process should only take just a few moments. I am not sure how this would work for multiple email addresses or email blasts, but if you are sending individual emails one at a time to new contacts that you want to add to your HubSpot, this is the way I have found that works for me. I hope this helps!

Edit: turns out you don't even need to click "Open in CRM" in Step 3 for this to work, but it's still helpful to do that anyway if you want to add details to your new Contact, such as name, title, etc.

0 Upvotes
FCorbaci
Contributor

SOLVE

Hey there,

If your contacts are associated with the companies ( which should be automatically done in your case), then you should be able to see emails in the company profile in HubSpot. My guess is, Your HubSpot activity view filters are not enabled for viewing emails in the company profile.

To do that: 
1) Open any company profile in HubSpot
2) Click "Filter activity" ( see pic 1) 

FCorbaci_0-1678534108313.png

3) Tick "Emails" (and any other, however you like) under "Communication" ( see pic2)

FCorbaci_1-1678534160474.png

If that'S not your problem, can you elaborate more what do you mean by tracking emails on company level?

Hope it helps,
Cheers

kolvera94
Participant

SOLVE

Hi - checking in on your request for elaboration, please let me know if my reply has helped highlight the problem I'm having. Can you or anyone you know help me?

0 Upvotes
kolvera94
Participant

SOLVE

Hi,

Thanks for offering to help. Unfortunatley this did not solve my problem, as my activity filters already include emails under Communication.

Here's a visual aid for the problem that HubSpot is giving me. The picture below shows a Company page automatically made by HubSpot for a business that I sent an email to:

Screenshot 2023-03-13 090508.png

The red arrow points to when this Company page was created, as well as the corresponding (highlighted) Contact that was also automatically made when I sent the email. So, when I sent an email to the given address for the highlighted Contact, we know that the Contact page and the associated Company page that we are looking at here were both automatically created by HubSpot on March 1st.

You will notice that it looks like this Company page has not received any activity. However, if we click on the highlighted "Info" Contact page, we can see this is not the case:

Screenshot 2023-03-13 090557.png

Clicking the "Info" highlighted contact from the first picture brings us to the Contact page here, where we can see (circled red) that there is in fact an email that HubSpot is logging, with the same date highlighted here in this second picture that the red arrow was pointing at in the first picture. So, we know that (1) when an email is being sent to a new address that is not in HubSpot, a new Contact and Company page are being created, and that (2) the email itself that triggered the Contact and Company pages to be autimcaticaly created is only being logged on the Contact page. We can see why if we click on the associations under the same email:

Screenshot 2023-03-13 090632.png

Here we see the problem that I am describing: HubSpot will automatically create a Contact and Company page for a new email address, but for some reason will not automatically associate said email with the Company that it creates. The highlighted parts in this third picture will show that the email is associated to the Contact but not the Company.

To rephrase my initial question: how can I change my HubSpot settings so that emails sent to new addresses are associated to both the Contact and Company pages that HubSpot automatically generates, instead of just the Contact?

0 Upvotes
CreatoChris

SOLVE

Did you manage to find a solution to this? I'm also ahving the same problem and it seems no one answered the thread. Would love to know if you've managed to resolve this 🙈

0 Upvotes
kolvera94
Participant

SOLVE

Hi Chris, no I have not found a solution yet. Hopefully someone rediscovers this thread and is able to help.