CRM

bdesilva
Contributor

How to tie a contact to a deal or company and know his role

SOLVE

Currently I can find no way to identify why the contact is part of a deal. His title doesn't help. It's his role in the deal close process I need. Same for Company contacts. How do we know who is the vendor salesman, cust service rep, pre-sales consultant, we are partnering with? Again titles don't help. And roles can change for a person from deal to deal. Another post is requesting tags. Useful if we can use them as the relationship in this use case. 

Any ideas? How do you know the role a contact has on a complex deal?

1 Accepted solution
Phil_Vallender
Solution
Most Valuable Member | Diamond Partner

SOLVE

Hi @bdesilva 

That's an interesting challenge, where one contact can have different roles in the decision on different deals. 

In the past we would have recommended a custom property for role on the contact card. HubSpot is marking this field standard among its ABM features currently in beta. However, this doesn't support a different role on different deals. 

Custom properties on deal wont be much help to you either as they would only contain text and not an actual link or associations with the contact. 

The best thing I can think of is a pinned note on the deal record that tells users who plays which role on that deal. At least then there is a record, that can be different on each deal, and its fairly visible. 

Hope this helps.

Phil Vallender | HubSpot Website Agency

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4
Phil_Vallender
Solution

SOLVE

Hi @bdesilva 

That's an interesting challenge, where one contact can have different roles in the decision on different deals. 

In the past we would have recommended a custom property for role on the contact card. HubSpot is marking this field standard among its ABM features currently in beta. However, this doesn't support a different role on different deals. 

Custom properties on deal wont be much help to you either as they would only contain text and not an actual link or associations with the contact. 

The best thing I can think of is a pinned note on the deal record that tells users who plays which role on that deal. At least then there is a record, that can be different on each deal, and its fairly visible. 

Hope this helps.

Phil Vallender | HubSpot Website Agency
bdesilva
Contributor

SOLVE

Yea and they are making the ABM quite expensive 🙂

It's tough. We came from a very inexpensive system called Solve360 and the relationship between a company and contact, and contact and deal was a field that could hold anything we wanted. Worked perfectly. It seems crazy it's not part of what HS thinks is important.

0 Upvotes
BastiSchuhl
Top Contributor

SOLVE

Great point, @bdesilva.

Being able to “tag” a Contact’s Role in a Buying Process for a specific deal is crucial for efficient B2B Sales Management. It’s great to see HS adding a “Buying Role” as standard Contact Property as part of the newly released Account Based Marketing (ABM) features. Yet, the current ABM set-up still falls short of expectiations in two key elements as discussed by you and @Phil_Vallender above

1. Deal specific Buying Roles as outlined by you and @Phil_Vallender above
  2. Displaying the “Buying Role” Contact Property of an associated contact within the Deals’ details views

Especially the the lack of high level visibility of an associated contact’s “buying role”, is an urgently needed add-on in my opinion. The associated contact's currently "previews" proeprties contact name, job title, email and phone number do not help to immediately understand who the most important contacts of a deal are.

So, it would be great to either see the “buying role” previewed right with job title, email and phone properties for each associated contact. Alternatively - and this might be the most versatile solution - it would be amazing if HS users were able to choose which contact properties they want to display for associated contacts at deal (and company) level; similar to customising the default properties for a contact record’s left sidebar. 

I found this idea of "Deal Roles" from 2017 in the community talking about this feature. It hasn't received a lot of attention from HS though. @Phil_Vallender do you know of a way to provide structured feedback for the newly introduced ABM features?

NU_2020

SOLVE

I found the "Buying Role" field by exporting the properties and looking at the tab on the bottom of the excel sheet "contacts" name = hs_buying_role, label = Buying Role. I was able to edit properties for what i needed, However even though the export says it is related to "Deal information" If I label the contact "x" in deal 1, and Y in deal 2, Both show up in each deal. 

Sorry HS, if the property is deal related IMHO, the other roles this contact plays shouldn't show up when viewing a specific deal.

Now if they show up viewing the contact details, i would like to select  the "x" value and see all deals that the contact has a role of "x" in.